1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Sengun be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Best comparasion for Sengun

1. Jokic

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Plumlee

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Nurkic

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sabonis

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. KAT

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Role player/Starter

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. other: post

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Don’t know about that one Pau was pretty mobile and agile during his early Memphis days

#21 htownborn34, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  2. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Here’s some clips of him just before he came to the NBA

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Mehmet Okur was listed as 6'11 in his playing days...

It looks like Alp will get a lot more "stocks" than Okur, and more dunks. Okur had a respectable career. I think Alp will be better.

20 pts/10rbs/4asts/1stl/2blks eventually if he stays healthy.

Could come as soon as 3 years from now.

Drift Monkey, Rudyc281, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  4. kevtse

kevtse Member

Add some strength and improve the 3 pt shooting to 35+%. He can be as good as Dirk. Coz I want him to be with Rockets forever, just like Dirk with the Mavs.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

very good! if he were to come into league today he could have developed into a player better than Kobe and could have played PG like Yannis

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

without a nickname he's not going anywhere

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't know. Mentally at the very top with flashes of greatness and limited physical tools. I'm just going to enjoy the effort whatever the outcomes. It's a blessing to have two young promising players that really want it in him and Green.

DonatelloLimestone and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smaller version of Arvydas.....not his son.

Drift Monkey and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll go with Sabonis. Before seeing him in SL I didn't realize how mobile he was; I thought of him as a slow big man with great offensive skills - basically a shorter, weaker Jokic. I now see that comparison was off.

His ability to close out on defenders and stay with guys trying to take him off the dribble is better than expected. So since he has that level of quickness, I think he compares more to Sabonis than Jokic.

Edit

To be clear, I'm talking about the Sabonis son - not Arvydas.

#29 Haymitch, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Drift Monkey and Plowman like this.
  11. HeyBudLetsParty

Black Sabonis

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I voted Sabonis, but when I see Alpi play it reminds me of a guy I grew up watching--Dave Cowens. Cowens was a small ball center before it was a thing, but his hustle and tenaciousness were superb. He could score, rebound, pass and play defense at 6'9" and 230 lbs. For you younger folks here's some background on Mr. Cowens who is a HOFer and won 2 NBA titles (1974 and 76).

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nb...dave-cowens-boston-celtics-hustle-winning-big

Skip to #6 if its to tedious for you

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cowenda01.html

Why I like Cowens as a comparison to Sengun is they both are very versatile, scrappy, hustle and skill. Cowens was a remarkable rebounder and defensive player, and probably more athletic than Sengun, but they both contribute to the team in so many ways and have remarkable enthusiasm.

Is it a perfect comparison, no not really, but I see a little Cowens in Sengun when he's fighting for rebounds or hustling for the ball on the floor. Alpi may end up as a better offensive player than Dave. In any case, it was fun to look back on Cowens career briefly, if Alpi can be our Cowens this could be a lot of fun in the future.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I totally forgot about Cowens. Excellent comparison.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gasol was an extremely mobile 7 fter with Memphis than he was with the Lakers. Then he rebounded better.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. j@amc

j@amc Member

I do think you need a time machine to find a comparable player to Alpi. The contemporary players in the poll just don't look like Sengun to me. He's got the build of Cowens, but Alpi strikes me as a little bigger and doesn't foul nearly as often.

The few clips that you can find of Bill Russell on the web show his immense intelligence and versatility. To me, Alpi's got some of those tools and a similar build. Of course, Russell sort of invented many modern basketball ideas like blocking shots and a center keying a fast break. I do wonder what 19-year old Russell actually looked like on the court...

More than anything else, Russell was a winner who maximized all the talent he had. If Sengun's looking for a role model, someone please get him talking to Russell, and soon.

Shark44 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sabonis has a negative wingspan and has never averaged over 0.5 blocks, that’s where that comp breaks down. Also Sabonis was pretty robotic and more of a hustle, power guy coming out of Gonzaga. Sengun is much more naturally skilled and fluid, he is an offensive savant. I guess they are similar in their player type but Sengun has much higher potential on both offense and defense.

Sengun is his own player, I don’t really see an exact comp in the NBA. How good will he most likely be? Probably fringe to solid allstar. How good CAN he be? With the skill level and intelligence he’s already shown at 18 last year and just turning 19, there is no limiting geniuses.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Kanter with defense would be my guess. FYI if Kanter played any sort of defense he’d be a starter even still. He’s virtually unplayable because of that. I think Sengun could be fairly good at that end based on his instincts I’ve seen alone.

I hate to bring up DMo but that would be kind of the worse case scenario here where he has all the skills and abilities but weird things just make him a non factor in the league.

We’ll just have to see but my guess is he gets a ton of PT this year to show us pretty quickly what he’s going to be. Most interesting player minus Jalen Green for sure.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

They say it takes big men longer to develop. Sengun looks much better than Mobley and is a full year younger. It would be foolish to put a ceiling on him.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Kanter averages under 1 assist and 0.5 blocks for his career. All these comps are terrible, lazy, and racist quite frankly.

everyday eddie, j@amc and NewAge like this.
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Sir Cap, Segun lets hope he can be the next or better Gasol!