1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evan Mobley Prediction

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Canada, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Mobley as we know is 215 pounds at 7 ft... There is an assumption it seems that he'll get bigger and bulk up and be just fine, but that isn't a given with his frame.

He's very frail with a slender frame and likely to get pushed around on offense and maybe even defense until he can effectively bulk up... Frail bigs often have a big concern apart from putting weight on and remaining as effective... Staying healthy.

His offensive game... Well he has no clear offensive game... He's been scouted and projected on offense as sort of a jack of all trades who can be the next great versatile modern big, but he's a master of none.
    He has a decent face up driving game, but I seriously doubt his handle is good enough to attack off the dribble consistently in the NBA... What am I sure he can be good at? Putbacks and maybe lobs. He can make shots, but he's not a good shooter, and he has a limited & almost non-existent post game.

Mobley is mobile, agile, and sees the floor well for a big... He has solid passing skills and can move his feet well on the perimeter defensively... Also he could be a good rim protector... He seems relatively weak on the glass and he plays passive in general it seems.

I think his ceiling is a Bam level player if he can bulk up and display an assertive mentality, but I won't be surprised if he busts and in fact I lean more to him becoming a bust.... And a bust in this context to me would be if he just becomes a role player or something much worse.

If I'm wrong... Feel free to clown me, but we'll see if I'm right.

2. a time to chill

I wanted Mobley and I still think he will be a special player, but at this point, I'm happy we got Green and Sengun

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The physical tools and skillset are all there--my concern is will the environment allow him to reach his full potential. He can easily be a 20/10 big but can Cleveland (coach, teammates, GM, etc.) help him get there?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he was already 230 I would be more hopeful.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm less concerned about his weight than I am about his offensive skillset. I liked him pre-draft and still do, but being mediocre at everything on offense is not a good thing. He needs to become great at least one thing. Fortunately, he is super young and has plenty of opportunities to develop a great offensive skill.

6. dmoneybangbang

I think he will mostly likely be a top 25-50 player at his peak as I think the physicality will always be an issue with his frame. I think how well he develops a shot will determine how close he gets to top 25 as I think he should be a great defender.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hmm I don't think we would snag both him and Sengun.

Dudes confidence would plummet if he had to practice against a 3 yr pro with an MVP on his belt PLUS being a year older than him.

He's still eating his three bowls of Wheaties.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

He’ll be just fine

Nook and Ottomaton like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well first of all we can throw that "you should look at him as an oversized wing" nonsense out the window. I never believed that crap cuz Mobley shot 69% in ft and only 30% from 3. Bosh by comparison shot 45% from 3 and he never got called an oversized wing. I wonder who made that BS up anybody who saw him play live would never make that statement.

Secondly it'll depend how his body responds to bulk. Thats why its such a risk to take a pogostick big man high up in the draft, so many stars have to align before he can reach his potential. If you look at Porzingis for example, his body cant handle additional bulk, he was ok as a light weight/rookie but when he added 20-30 pounds of muscle he started breaking down. Now something is really wrong with him he lost his mobility and with it his confidence and shooting touch. Same thing could happen with Mobley he can out to be like Davis and get bulked with no issue or he can be like Joe Chee and immediately get injured with just 20 pounds added to his frame. We will have to wait and see its a toss coin at this point.

Third issue is Cavs a franchise that doesnt seem to develop its players well. Lebron is the only guy I know that had any meaningful progression from Cleveland, every other rookie they had stayed the same player they were as rookies. So I'm doubtful Mobley will blossom on the Cavs, I guess we'll see.

I cant really say what Mobley will become. But so far am definitely disappointed with what he showed in SL I didnt see the dominant defensive highlights he showed vs random unathletic college dudes neither did I see the advanced face up game that reminded people of Chris Bosh and Anthony Davis. All the die hard mobley mob supporters like BTG suddenly became radio silent thats cuz its apparent now Mobley is a major project and extremely raw which is not at all how he looked vs NCAA competition.

I expected him to be a cut above other bigs thats why he was in the top 3, turns out he is just as raw as Kai Jones, JT Thor, Isiah Todd etc so why was he consensus 3rd pick again? I honestly think JT Thor will have an easier time reaching his potential than Mobley cuz Thor already has a working J and 3 pt shot.

#9 roslolian, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Air Canada likes this.
  10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

My honest opinion I think he will be a bust. He plays like a passive scrub already. Sengun is way better than this kid.

11. swakid8

swakid8 Member

‘Its funny that you make this point. Watching his tape in college, I didn’t see anything screams number 2 pick. I saw him as a late first rounder at the highest. I do believe he was a reach at number 3. Now, let’s revisit this post when Mobley is up for contract number 2 to see if our assessment was on to something or on something.

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

13. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

It's too early to call anyone a bust. Some players just takes more time to develop. But I am very happy Rockets selected Green and Sengun, they both look NBA ready, especially Sengun.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The commonly accepted metric used to be rookies had 3 years to show something.

I can still remember when Jermaine O'Neil was a joke after 4 years because he hadnt gotten it together and Portland gave him away.

Maybe we should wait more than three summer league games.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

My metric has always been 'Not our problem' metric.

Stephen_A likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Legit question to the people already declaring he's a scrub based on Summer League: what was your opinion of Donte Green, Glen Rice Jr, or any other number of guys that killed Summer League only to be (at best) JAGs in the NBA?? I always wanted us to draft Green, but I don't see how anybody can say Mobley is going to be a scrub based on what they've seen so far.

csnerd84 likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

I don't know why peeps worry about 19-21 year olds being too skinny. More times than not they always bulk up.

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Provide the examples of players 215 pounds at 7 feet tall effectively bulking up with a frame like Mobley.

19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Well that's the thing... it's a prediction and the prediction isn't based on Summer League.

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I really like what I see when I watch him, his IQ is very high and he has the physical tools. Just needs to put on weight and put in work.