1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading Jalen Green SL performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Aug 13, 2021.

?

Grade his performance.

1. A

72.2%
  2. B

24.9%
  3. C

1.4%
  4. D

0.4%
  5. F

1.1%
  1. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

It was an A.

There's still quite a bit of stuff he has to work well, (handles, decision making, defense, etc), but Jalen is 19 year old rookie, and he showed a lot of his strengths

I felt he was playing really well when we took him out, which was undoubtedly the right decision. Don't play him again this SL even, if it's nothing.

My favorite play of his last night was locking down Flynn, forcing a turnover, pushing the ball up the court, and connecting with Sengun in a pick-and-pop.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Uhm first calm down, second stats mean very little in the summer league and thirdly people are being fair in their assessment.

arabrocket likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

it was an easy A…keep this up, and he might become valedictorian of his draft class

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I hate to be a gatekeeper but if you vote anything other than an A you're a casual lol Dude was ridiculously efficient not sure how anyone can do better. It remains to be seen if he can do it in the big leagues but just grading summer league A+

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We saw a lot of the same things.

What he is so far is a shooter , what he isn't is a decision maker / table setter & definitely not a primary ball handler. He was rotten in the pick and roll ....

Defensively he is decent enough man to man but in a team setting was pretty bad.

The summer league team as a whole could have benefitted greatly by having a true point guard .... even in the games they won , they were out of sync offensively.

CHAMPBOY and don grahamleone like this.
  6. anchel

anchel Member

2ng game played very poor defense. Other than that, impressed with his poise, his decision making and his skillset at 19.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

A.

Obviously.

The amazing thing to me is that while he put up those numbers, I didn't get the impression that he was offensively aggressive. The game came to him. If he ever learns how to take over the game, watch out.

8. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

A+ easily

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

people who voted B are doing too much…stop it

those who voted C, lay off the meth

Deuce, Phillyrocket and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's most exciting about Jalen is his style of play seems, to me, to be so attractive to other superstars to join up with him. James was so ball dominant that it took a certain type to choose to come to Houston to play with him. Jalen is going to drop 25 a night without needing to dominate the ball and his range and first step are going to provide incredible gravity on the court to free things up for everyone else. Maybe KPJ turns into a superstar and we don't even need to add anyone, but if I was a stud PG like Ja Morant, for example, I can't think of a better SG to pair with.

Grade: A

11. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

My take:

No doubt in my mind he was the best rookie in the summer league. He shown us a bit of everything each game and I don't think he has anything else to prove. The fact that Jalen Green has drawn so much attention on the defense early on in the summer league just means that this man is absolutely dangerous on offense. I just love the hunger he possess, this dude doesn't back down from anything. Jalen Green is a dog and I love that, hard to find that in someone that's only 19. I'm all for him trying to prove people wrong, because he truly believes that he is the best player in this year's draft.

S++ FOR ME

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I haven't seen so many grades in years but keep it up.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

A. Would have been A+ but I am concerned about his high dribble and ability to fight off the inevitable double teams. Defensive effort was really good and effective one on one. I think he has the potential to be a very good defender with his speed, length, and attitude. Really don’t understand the criticism of his rebounding. I though he was outstanding in that regard for a shooting guard.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Of course the usual homers are voting A++ and scolding anyone who didn't. So, he doesn't have anything to improve on?? if you think that, you weren't watching. He was absolutely great though. He's just got to put in the work.... I'm thrilled with him so far!

amaru and Corrosion like this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

His shot is way better than advertised or what I paid attention to anyways.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

My only concern is if he’s injury prone. He’s too skinny and always lands on one leg. This hammy strain did not help his case.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think through 3.5 games he’s been exactly as advertised. A natural shooter and scorer. His length, athleticism, shooting were clear for all to see. I also saw some really good rebounding. He can get to the rim, but needs to keep working on his handles and defense. For a confident guy he seemed to lack it at times. He’s super young and it showed, but the guy has unreal natural scoring ability -can score 30 on a bad day. He’s the kind of player that’s a cornerstone prospect. I’m very satisfied; would like to see him become multidimensional with his game on both sides of the ball. Hopefully that will come with time.

I give him a B+/A-

I think he’s on a short-list for potential ROY with Cade and Suggs

#57 Aruba77, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

50/50/90

I think that qualify as an A+

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Grade: A
    I definitely had some criticisms while he was struggling to maneuver against traps and pressing defense... and also thought he tried to create off the dribble too much and took us out of our offense on many plays... but with that said, he's 19 y/o and is doing a lot of things at a very high level ALREADY.

Keep in mind also:
    • Tracy McGrady averaged 9.3ppg and shot .229% from 3-point land in his 19 y/o season for Toronto.
    • Kobe Bryant scored 15.4ppg in his 19 y/o season in Los Angeles (after 7.6ppg in his rookie season).
    • Zach Lavine averaged 10.1ppg in his 19 y/o season for Minnesota.
    Expectations need to be appropriately set for Jalen Green's rookie season.

Deuce, amaru, Verbal Christ and 2 others like this.
  20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Good grief dude… The “calm down, I’m the level headed one here” response is pretty annoying. There was nothing aggressive in my original post and not a single swear or exclamation point to make you think I was angrily slamming my keyboard.

So his performance was considered slightly above average, because that’s what a B means. It was not, it was well above average. Even the “Locked on Thunder Podcast” host did an entire pod on how great the Rockets draft looks, headlined by JG. Other fan bases would kill to have him after his performance, but we got people saying it was a “B” performance, lol. “That guy played like a future All-Star, I’ll give him a “B.”