1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Record Rebuild Time in Number of Days (provided our youthful core pans out)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

When you start trading away FRP's instead of hoarding them.

dmoneybangbang and theDude like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Big if true.

xaos likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't buy league pass to watch last year's team...too depressing. I'll buy this year and although I don't think the team will win very much, they should at least be fun to watch.

bmelo and groovemachine like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Considering we had not had one in 20+ years. . . .I think they can be forgiven.

Rocket River

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Our rookies are exciting. Most teams that lose their STAR player usually takes at least 3 good DRAFTS. In those three drafts, you are hoping for a Superstar, Star Player and another star player or borderline star.
    Oklahoma drafted Durant, Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Harden in 3 years....Atlanta in 3 years draft John Collins, Trae Young, DeAndre Hunter and got lucky with Capela(thanks rockets).....Phoenix drafted Devin Booker, Jackson, Bridges and Deandre Ayton and Chris Paul dropped in their lap in three years. Rockets have their Superstar and three Stars in a 1 year and a half:

SUPERSTARS: Jalen Green
    Star: Kevin Porter
    Star: Apleren Sengun
    Star: Christian Wood
    Solid Role Players: Tate, Garuba and Martin

Waiting...For that free agents to sign with us.......next year

csnerd84 and don grahamleone like this.
  6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I know, that's why I said 2 years at the earliest. I think maybe 4 years is more realistic

groovemachine and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, I think in this situation we should remain flexible like Stone has said. If we are good enough for a 7th-8th seed in the playoffs, great. If not, there is no shame in tanking when we have our pick. We will accumulate even more young talent.

groovemachine likes this.
  8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

• The Knicks renounced the free-agent rights to the 2017 first-round draft pick Frank Ntilikina.
    • The Knicks have not re-signed their past 18 first-round picks to a second, multiyear contract.

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Great point, if the 3rd game had been the first game the sky would be falling. I'm convinced now the Green Gang was correct on who we should draft, Green is an offensive phenom.

He also got bullied by Cade on one particular drive which shows the defense is going to take some time. I'm expecting a lot of exciting basketball and losses this year, which is probably the best of both worlds for the rebuild.

daywalker02 and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Decades is a stretch but we've been blessed as a franchise to have our down years not last that long. We've also had 4 super duper stars (Dream, Yao, TMac, Harden) be the cornerstones of our franchise not even counting Francis, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Russ. Most franchises stay downtrodden for a long time. 3-4 years is unrealistic. It's hard to hit on a star.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's off to a great start. But, we've still got next year's bad record/high pick...plus whatever moves Stone makes involving that draft. Of course we get to see this crew BEGIN to develop. I think Wall (+picks) being moved as an expiring after next year is going to be the tipping point as one would think we get a young star back in that deal.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This team will be fun to watch grow, but they are still going to lose a LOT of games...

13. DonatelloLimestone

I'm not sure abotu our sign/trades
    But Stone has been an amazing drafter and for a rebuilding team with a lot of picks, He is turning out to be a gem. We still have morey's same analytics team on as well helping, but the final decision in a draft is tough and we've been hitting late, early, middle and that allows us to have a lot to look forward to.

As far as tilman goes, its upto him. He was the fundamental changing trajectory point in burning down a 1 seed that could've kept on going for it, then proceeded PR bludners where he admits bad trades, puts his team under the bus, deflects and gets caught bold face lying...he wasn't helping himself to get away from his reptutioant and more so it hurts the rockets nad hurts us to attract 1A talent. That matters otherwise well lose the current possible stars we have if he doesnt learn. but yea, his chance will come when htese guys pan out and the owner does the one thing they can in the league to contribute, finances. so he won't have to pay up and punted, but when the time comes rather than sayign 'im waiting to sign bronny james or guarantee a finals' and respects the window, takes a shot, hes fine by me. the beggining was disasterous, it doesn't have to stay that way and i've been with the rockets before him, before les. so I do hope he figures it out so we can never discuss or worry if the owner is holding us back in this league.

HoustonWest likes this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

if owner a true fan, even in the situation of rebuilding, ppl in great confidence.

#54 DeBeards, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    BamBam likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is our last season to be in the lottery. If that is the definition of when the re-build is over then my vote is one season. By 2022/23 season we will be competing for playoffs. By 2023/2024 we will be competing for a top free agent to make us contenders.

16. dmoneybangbang

I did accurately predict who we would draft this year........ but the details were a bit off. Looking into my off brand crystal ball.... I think we are back in the play-in tournament 2023.

I think two of Wood, EGO and Wall will be gone by the deadline while the other has an injury and shuts it down (my bet is EGO and Wood are gone and Wall sits the back half). Wall is traded as a large expiring contract in 2022 and we get another top 5 pick for 2022. We are getting feisty and end up in the play-in tournament with the #12 for 2023.

Rebuild will be officially over in 2024 when we are playoff team.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets got a great jump start to their rebuild with 4 new core players from this draft. But as excited as we are, there still is a ways to go. You need multiple lottery picks for a rebuild. I feel the Rockets need 2022 & 2023 lotteries to pan out.

In 2022 Rockets are projected to have the 4th worst record according to Vegas. Heat are projected to have 21st and we have that pick (swapped with BKN). In 2023 the Rockets have their's and the Bucks unprotected pick. So, if the Rockets can HIT on all FOUR of those draft picks (including TWO high lottery guys) added to what we have now I think they will be in good shape.

Then we have 2023 cap space. This is the roadmap, the horizon, for this team.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The 7-8th spot is an automatic 1st round exit if things go normal.

If your goal is to at least make the 2nd round, you better make 4th-5th.

Also your pick isn't really great either going along with the exit.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You forgot SUPERSTARS:

Josh Christopher

HP3 likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We need to tank one more year. Really need a big 3 if you think green and sengun are both Superstars.

Which is a big if.