1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you build around the Rockets "core"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If the Rockets will really believe this draft will build a dynasty for years to come, they must gut out this current roster completely.

NONE of the current roster (maybe except Tate) is worth wasting any money or time to delay the development of our rookies.

You want to suck a year or two also to give the rookies some time to grow, you need to spend money wisely, such as to give some mid level money to 1-2 vets that are willing to sign a 2 years deal.

Ideally, you want to complete from the 3rd year of these rookies and by the 4th, you really need to be a contender and then you will spend big and probably make deicsions to keep how many of these.

If you will suck for 2 more years, you can also have some good and cheap contracts down the road.

Everything needs to go including the coaches.

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Tate is there and I mention there are still spots to add a vet or two. The potential of this draft class along with the talent available next draft has really pushed me away from my original plan of going big game hunting in free agency for an Embiid or someone like that. I'm now all in on building through the draft and paying the talent that rises to the top. I'm sure some of the rookies won't pan out and the Rockets will add vets in those situations.

fchowd0311 and burlesk like this.
  3. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

I'm surprised you put Garuba ahead of Sengun, Sengun looks like a future All-Star.

I try to look at the current roster, like in any sport with my team, and try to see who are long term core guys, so here goes.

In no order, just by position, so PG, SG, SF, PF, & C

PG Kevin Porter Jr. (Hopefully he keeps improving, and the issues from Cleveland are now gone, and he becomes a superstar)
    SG Jalen Green (Sky's the limit for Green, he has the offensive skill set, defensive, good 3 PT shooter, he should be a superstar)
    SG Josh Christopher (As someone who doesn't watch college ball, I didn't judge the pick, I think he can be a 6th man of the year, he's gonna end up being a very good player, has offense & defense)
    SF KJ Martin (This guy surprised me last year, we got him at I think 55th overall, and I figured he would just be a G-League guy, but man, I was wrong, thank god, he looks legit, his defense is really good, good offense, agree he can be a SF/PF combo
    SF Jae'Sean Tate (One of the surprises, he really impressed, winning a roster spot, like you said he can play both the 3 & 4, he's good on offense and defense, let's see him develop more by getting more minutes)
    PF Usman Garuba (Never watched him, but from what everyone was saying he might be the best defender from the 2021 draft, need more time to see him, if he plays defense like he did in Spain, then I think this was a GREAT pick)
    C Christian Wood (I loved this pickup from the moment it happened, and thanks to the S&T with Detroit, we got a 1st that we used to trade up for Sengun, Wood is a guy who could be an All-Star, he's young, has a nice 3 PT shot, good shooter overall, good defender)
    C Alperen Sengun (I've never watched any international ball, not even the olympics, so I didn't know much, I read on ESPN.com, and saw them talking about him, so draft night I wanted him, so when we traded to 16, I was hoping it would be Sengun, as for his game, can block, offense is really good, not afraid to get in the lane or of contact, and his defense has been good, great FT shooter, unlike Capela was, while it's kinda weird to see him talk to the basketball for FTs, I actually like it, makes him unique, and standout, I think he's gonna be a future All-Star, I think too many slept on him, overlooked him, but when you go from bench players to MVP of the Turkish League 1 yr later, that's impressive, shows he's dedicated to the game)

I left off David Nwaba & Daniel Theis as Idk if the Rockets see Nwaba as a core player, I like him, and as for Theis, I don't know much at all about him, but more big bodies, but, not enough minutes to go around, having Garuba, Wood, Sengun, & Theis, I just wonder where he'll play, will he star at C, Wood at PF? While Sengun gets backup C and maybe PF minutes? I know he could be a trade asset, but I would like to see the guys we sign to 3 or 4 yr deals actually stay around, and not be used as a way to get more picks, unless it's a guy who either didn't live up to the deal, like Ryan Anderson, or they're older like Wall, Gordon, or how Harden wanted out.

I have no clue what the Rockets do with House, what's his value, a couple 2nd rd picks, and also Augustin?

As for Khyri Thomas, need to see more of him, I guess these 15 are the 15 that would be on the team if the season began today, but we'll likely see more deals, someone dealt. I still wonder if we'll even use the NT-MLE or not, probably not many, if any, good free agents out there anyway, maybe if someone who comes into camp, or in season as a 2 way contract, we could use part of that to get the young player signed to a multi year deal.

Also no idea on Brooks & Lamb, or the Duke UDFA Hurt

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Posted this a few times but follow the Boston model of draft two studs (Tatum/Brown), trade for a disgruntled star (Kyrie) and sign a max star (Hayward). Didn’t work for them because of injuries but it’s a good plan.

To make it work you let the young guys show off and give them lots of minutes which is also going to mean lots of losses. Then trade Wall/Wood a couple of those young guys like Martin, Tate, Christopher, Garuba etc.

Two studs = Green/2022 FRP
    Trade Wall/Wood/Tate etc. for disgruntled star and clear cap space.
    Trade House/Gordon for picks expirings
    Sign Max FA summer of 2023

As it looks like right now you have Green and maybe KPJ not sure who next years stud will be but we need a star at SF possibly PF. I’d be looking at Zion with that trade as an example.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What do we need to build around them for?

You've pegged us as having a superstar, two #2 type stars, and then as support to them you've got us having Paul Pierce, Domantas Sabonis, Charles Oakley, and Shawn Marion

If you're right, then that is 10 straight rings....
    Pretty fair chance you're going off a bit early here?

sydmill and groovemachine like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Trade Wood for value now
    Dump Wall, Gordon and House whenever it doesn't cost you anything.
    Bottom out, two more top 5 picks in the next two years.
    In summer of 23, you will have massive cap space to fill in the holes around your 4 core guys.
    Might need to trade KPJ or whomever is good, but just doesn't fit, for similar caliber guys who do fit.

#26 larsv8, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    jcmoon likes this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not as sold on KPJ as others. I think they still should be looking to add a top-shelf PG. There are not going to be many in next year's draft and it's hard to see acquiring one through trade in the near future. They need to be opportunistic and strike if an opportunity presents itself. Until then, I think it's still going to be best available with next year's pick(s). I can live with KPJ and Wall until we get the chance to make a trade for a younger true PG. I would prefer to add someone with experience, but still young enough to stick around. Some of the teams that signed PGs this offseason may have to tear it down in a couple of years.

The cap space available in 2023 is going to force them to make a decision, if they haven't already made a trade that eats into that cap space. I hope Wood stays healthy and proves himself to be a valuable part of the team and they simply use the cap space to re-sign him. They could still have enough space to sign a top free agent along with re-signing Wood.

Overall, I like the pieces we have and I think we just need to keep drafting those complementary pieces and making trades that maintain a balanced roster. PG is the biggest question for me right now and the one position that I might not be as patient with. If KPJ shows good progress this year, then I would not be in a hurry to make significant moves. I would let the team continue to work together and be content with letting Wall and Gordon play out their contracts. I see no need to buy them out or attach picks to move them. Simply let them expire and work with the available cap space in 2023.

Corrosion, sydmill and hakeem94 like this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Disclaimer: those comps refer more to play style than results. You can have a game reminiscent of Paul Pierce without being Paul Pierce.

How many different ways can I say that this is likely premature? However, I dont think you accident your way to building a contender, let a lone one that stays competitive for an extended period. I would rather have an idea of a plan and then adjust as the data comes in rather than just say let's see what happens. This is a fan site, no need to rain on my parade...

9. Moahst

Moahst Member

I would say that it's too early to build around anything. We're talking mostly about players below the age of 22 and more than half of them have very little NBA experience. However, with KPjr, Christian Wood, Alperen Sengun, and Jalen Green being natural offensive players I would look to sign defensive minded players in the free agency and via trade. Always draft best player available.