1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep. Still absolutely blows my mind that the Rockets were able to draft all 4 of these guys.

3 of the 4 that we’ve seen play are oozing confidence. Very curious to see if that translates when the season starts and things get tougher. It will be a lot of fun.

As far as not drafting Mobley, I feel the Rockets easily did the right thing with how they approached it. I wish the kid success, but to me the draft couldn’t have played out much better.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

just catching up on some of the hilariously bad takes/analysis on here. do i have it right that basically in order to impress bobbythegreat, jalen green needed to have had 4 less misses on Sunday night, so instead of shooting 9/18 he would shoot 9/14? so the standard here is 64% fg% from the guard position? lol what does mobley need to reach to meet/exceed expectations...75%?

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep not really considered a win
    if Jalen gave up 4 of his shots and let others miss those those shots instead then that's a legit win then

I wonder that's what PHX org, coaching staff, and fans said when developing Booker. "Shoot less please"

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

very true

although imo I think getting Sengun after green was a lot more of a long shot than Garuba at 23.

I liked Garuba but I didn’t have him as a lottery talent but he’s def better Than pick 23.

I’m happy we got all three of those guys and josh is really looking like a player.

hell of a draft by stone

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, if he had cut out a few bad decisions, it would have made his first game impressive to me.....you know, kind of like his second game was.

It's also not about making or missing shots, it's about making correct decisions. You can make a shot that is a terrible decision to shoot and it's not a great sign because you won't make many of them. You can also miss despite doing everything right.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some to understand, but it is what it is.

6. dookiester

dookiester Member

The only thing difficult to understand is your well established history of moving goalposts. You literally bring up efficiency and points off shot attempts throughout this thread and now when you get called out on the ridiculous efficiency standard your posts imply, you say it's not about making or missing shots? What do you think shot efficiency/points on attempts is about? I get it that this is pretty much consistent with your standard of quality when it comes to 'analysis', but occasionally folks just can't help but call you out when the takes are this bad.

AXG, peleincubus, TriumVirate and 2 others like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, it’s getting outta hand

I may not care that much for Mobley, but I’m not rooting for his failure…I do like Cade a lot tho and genuinely want to see him succeed

I will be actively watching Pistons games for the 1st time in over a decade

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'll be watching Bol Bol

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread has devolved into pure fckery

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No goalposts have been moved, I was explaining why bad shots are bad even if they happen to go in. It was an additional conversation.

As to the game 1 performance, I spelled out that Green met my expectations, and pointed out what he could have done to exceed them. He did this in game 2.

I can't spell this out in any simpler manner, so you'll just have to try harder to follow along.

11. dookiester

dookiester Member

Ok so ignore the additional conversation about shot quality since I obviously didn't raise that whatsoever in my post (try to harder to follow along bro). In terms of scoring efficiency, are you sticking with your implied expectation of 60+% fg shooting from the guard position (since green exceeded that Sunday with a TS of 62% but didn't impress you)? Or would you like to clarify that green merely met your expectations overall when considering shot quality, but exceeded them when it comes to efficiency?

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mobley had a good game last night save the poor shooting - which almost everyone figured would be his weakest area. Toyed with a triple double in his 2nd game not bad. Im glad each player landed where they did and as a Rocket fan Im happy that we ended with JG who had no familial baggage steering him and a genuine desire to play here.

Made that type of comment on a different platform and the response was this:

[​IMG]

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think I was pretty clear that scoring 23 on 18 shots in a summer league game merely met my expectations for the level of competition.

If he was doing that in a real nba game, I'd obviously see it differently.

For summer league, to exceed my expectations he'd have to be special, like he was against Detroit.

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

He's probably right, perhaps even overly optimistic, but this quote is funny to me.

15. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

I didn't watch the game, and sadly this video doesn't have any of his defensive plays. Some of his shots missed badly, but I think there was a lot of encouraging signs here.

vator likes this.
  16. vator

I like what I see for the most part. The foundation is there. Shooting mechanics, passing, handling the ball, the intelligence. He needs to get significantly stronger, but he's only 20 years old. He turned 20 on June 18th by the way, I thought he was still 19, but he isn't.

Hopefully, the rebounding comes with the muscle, but some guys just don't have a nose for rebounding. I don't feel his defensive impact has been as advertised so far, but it's only 2 games. He is very fluid and athletic for a 7 footer but seems to lack that explosive movement you would like to see from a dominant big man. Maybe he gets more of that too as he grows into his body.

17. vator

18. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Sengun was owning Mobley in that 1st game

Air Canada likes this.
  19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think the most surprising thing for me with Mobley so far is that I expected a dominant defender type who didn't have much on the offensive end, but he's a very good passer who so far isn't really shining on D at all. Still think he's got a long way to go to be an actual wing player, but as a playmaking big man I can see the potential there for sure.

vator likes this.
  20. dookiester

dookiester Member

Ok got it, so you're on record that 62% TS in summer league is what you expect green to do bc summer league. What kind of NBA modifier are you applying for your expectations -
    lol big dreams