1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Mad Max: Furiosa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

MAD MAX Prequel FURIOSA Lands 2023 Theatrical Release Date From Warner Bros.

While they may have sacrificed their entire 2021 slate, it looks like Warner Bros. is still keen on releasing future films in theaters first, as they've officially set a release date for Furiosa!
    KingPatel | 12/23/2020
    Filed Under: "Mad Max" Source: Deadline
    [​IMG]

Eight years after Academy Award-winner Charlize Theron (F9; The Old Guard) made the part iconic, Furiosa is returning to the silver screen in a big way with her very own film. Except this time, it'll be rising star Anya Taylor-Joy (The Queen's Gambit; The New Mutants) who takes on the role to tell the untold origins of one of Max Rockatansky's fiercest allies.

While their 2021 theatrical slate will be splitting time with HBO Max, Warner Bros. has officially announced that Furiosa will hit theaters on July 21, 2023. It'll open a week before an Untitled Marvel Studios Film, which could potentially be Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

Academy Award-winner George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road; Three Thousand Years of Longing) will return to the director's chair, utilizing a screenplay he co-wrote with Nico Lathouris (Mad Max: Fury Road).

In addition to Taylor-Joy in the title role, Chris Hemsworth (Thor: Love and Thunder; Avengers: Endgame) and Primetime Emmy-winner Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Watchmen; The Matrix 4) will co-star. Details on their characters are currently being kept under wraps, but Hemsworth is rumored to be playing the villain.

Filming is expected to begin at the tail end of next year, presumably after Miller wraps Three Thousand Years of Longing and Hemsworth completes work on Marvel's Thor: Love and Thunder. Both are already shooting in Australia, where Fury Road also filmed, so it seems increasingly likely Furiosa will also film there.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hell yes!

AleksandarN and BamBam like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

haven't seen the original one with kevin kostner. need to watch the one with charlize and bane.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

https://bestofcomicbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Anya-Taylor-Joy-t***-gif.gif

[​IMG]

ROXTXIA and Jontro like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Her peripheral vision has got to be top-shelf.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

go listen to your favorite song and stfu

Bandwagoner, B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I'd tell you to ask to Simon Pegg for his opinion but he can't see you over there.

peleincubus likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Mad Max Furiosa Prequel: Release Date, Cast And Other Quick Things We Know About The Movie

[​IMG]

After a 30-year wait, Mad Max: Fury Road burst into the cinemas in 2015 and gave an adrenaline kick to all who saw it. The high-octane ride that starred Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron became both a fan favorite and a critics favorite. Thankfully, we won’t have to wait another 30 years to see George Miller’s next foray into the Mad Max universe, as his Mad Max Furiosa spinoff is reportedly just a couple of years away, with some new additions in Anya Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth, among others. Get the lowdown on all things Furiosa below.

[​IMG]
    Anya Taylor-Joy Will Take On The Furiosa Role Previously Played By Charlize Theron
    Charlize Theron famously brought the role of Furiosa to life in Mad Max: Fury Road. However, for reasons we’ll get to below, Theron will not be returning for her character’s spinoff (a point she's a little heartbroken over). Instead, the new Furiosa will be played by Anya Taylor-Joy.

Variety reported Taylor-Joy’s casting in October 2020, as she will play a younger version of Furiosa. Taylor-Joy’s star has been rising in the last couple of years, with Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit and the latest adaptation of Emma as major breakthroughs for the young actress. Before hopping behind a war rig, Taylor-Joy will star in Edgar Wright’s Last Night in Soho and Robert Egger’s The Northman.

Taylor-Joy is aware of the responsibility of filling Charlize Theron's shoes (and mechanical arm).

[​IMG]
    The Furiosa Cast Also Includes Chris Hemsworth And Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
    The same Variety report announcing Taylor-Joy’s casting added that she will be joined by another pair of Mad Max newcomers, Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. However, just who they will be playing is not known at this point.

Hemsworth, of course, is best known for his role as Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but has aptly provided his talents to other films like Extraction and Bad Times at the El Royale. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II also has a superhero background, as he was the villainous Manta in Aquaman and on HBO’s Watchmen. He was also in the recent Best Picture nominee The Trial of the Chicago 7.

[​IMG]
    Furiosa Is Aiming For A June 2023 Release Date
    So we know who will be in Furiosa, but when will we get the film? It should come as no surprise that this will be a summer blockbuster, but not until the year 2023.

Warner Bros. announced a slew of release dates for upcoming films last December, and among them was a June 23, 2023, slot for Furiosa. And in case you were wondering, Warner Bros. has already announced that - at least for now - 2021 will be the only year they release their films the same day in theaters as they do on the HBO Max streaming service, so Furiosa is expected to be seen on the big screen.

[​IMG]
    Miller Opted Against De-aging Technology To Bring Back Charlize Theron
    Now that we’ve got the main information out, let’s dive into the nitty gritty. Anya Taylor-Joy taking over the role of Furiosa means that Charlize Theron will not be returning to the character that she helped make iconic in the previous film. However, there was some thought as to how they could bring Theron back for one more go around.

In a New York Times profile, Miller explained that he considered using de-aging technology with Theron, much like The Irishman and Captain Marvel. The script is said to feature Furiosa in her 20s, and as of this writing Theron is 45. Ultimately, Miller determined that the technology was not to his satisfaction.

[​IMG]
    There Was A Script For Furiosa Before Shooting Began On Mad Max: Fury Road
    The 30-year gap between Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Mad Max: Fury Road did not mean that George Miller wasn’t thinking about the world he created. In fact, as the process to bring Fury Road to the screen took several years, Miller took the time to build elaborate character backgrounds from Immortan Joe to the Doof Warrior (that guy with the guitar). Unsurprisingly, Furiosa’s history was also well developed.

Another tidbit that Miller shared in the New York Times piece was that the more they dove into Furiosa, the more they loved her. So much so that before they even shot a single scene of Mad Max: Fury Road there was a script for a Furiosa origin story.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who played Splendid in Fury Road, was quoted saying:

I got to read it [the script] when I was cast. It’s genius. I’ve always wondered if that movie’s going to get made.

Yes, Rosie, yes it is.

[​IMG]
    Much Of Fury Road’s Oscar-Winning Production Team Is Returning
    The look of Mad Max: Fury Road was one of the film’s most memorable components, and the Academy agreed. Mad Max: Fury Road won six Oscars in 2016: Best Editing, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup & Hairstyling, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing and Best Production Design.

Furiosa will bring back much of that behind-the-scenes crew, including production designer Colin Gibson, editor Margaret Sixel, sound mixer Ben Osmo and makeup designer Lesley Vanderwalt. Mad Max: Fury Road stunt coordinator Guy Norris and Fury Road’s Oscar-nominated cinematographer John Seale (who was quoted in the New York Times story he would only come out of retirement for Miller) are also set to return.

[​IMG]
    Furiosa Is Expected To Be Australia’s Biggest Movie Ever
    Mad Max: Fury Road was no indie film, but the production of Furiosa is poised to surpass that of its predecessor. According to the Associated Press, Furiosa will shoot in South Wales, Australia, and is expected to be the biggest film ever produced in the country. Furiosa will infuse $350 million AUD into the local economy and create 850 jobs, per AP.

As for when the cameras will start to roll, we don’t know. Miller is working on post-production for his next film, Three Thousands Years of Longing starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba, and is expected to head into Furiosa right after that as they work to make the June 23, 2023, release date.

[​IMG]
    George Miller Has Two Mad Max Sequels Beyond Furiosa In Mind
    One character that we won’t be seeing in Furiosa is Mad Max himself. Furiosa and Max Rockatansky proved to be a dynamic duo in Fury Road (despite Hardy and Theron having some tension on the set). At the end of Fury Road, (SPOILER ALERT) Max went his own way as Furiosa and company overtook the Citadel.

Sooner or later, Miller intends to bring Max back to the big screen. Miller said that he has two Mad Max sequels in mind, even revealing that the title of Fury Road’s follow up could be titled Mad Max: The Wasteland.

It will take some time to get any Mad Max sequel, but if this franchise has taught us anything, good things can come to those who wait.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

She's no Charlize Theron.

blue_eyed_devil and Yung-T like this.
  10. Xerobull

No, but...I have a feeling she's a freak.

Ziggy and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Charlie's was good in the original. Perfectly capable of doing the sequel.

Not sure her asking price, but this goes into my conspiracy theory of certain studios with certain franchises, they're shy of asking older actresses back. Few still continue get work (quality or projects with wider visibility). In Totality, Ageism is harder on older actresses than older actors.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Love Charlize, but all the action movies she carries are flat at the BO. Atomic Blonde should've done better.

Covid streaming makes it worse.

Not sure chess girl will make it better but wouldn't mind looking more into her chess moves.

13. Xerobull

Furiosa isn't exactly a young, soft sex symbol in Fury Road. She's a hard badass living in a radioactive desert. I think if she makes another MM movie in 5 years it's perfectly acceptable.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Fury Road is among my favorite action movies of all time. It was a perfect storm of a movie that features great performances, intriguing and unique characters, a fully-realized world, top-notch action using a lot of practical effects, a memorable soundtrack, and a bad-ass villain. I don't know how any prequel or sequel could measure up to that, but I don't mind heading back to the Mad Max world. It is a shame they didn't back Theron for the Furiosa role though.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Forget "action movie," I think it's the best movie of the entire 2010s. And I'm one of those pansies that usually has "arty" movies on my year-end lists.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Obligatory Beth Harmon dancing clip

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Keep reading how Theron made this iconic Furiosa character and I'm thinking, "Who? Yeah, there were probably some chicks in Fury Road. Can't remember."

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Spoiler...

movie plot...fuel...race across desert in ridiculously well-maintained post-apocalyptic vehicles...Max goes off on his own. Fin.

I'll watch. And re-watch a thousand times every instance TNT reruns that ish.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I mean... it's not like Tom Hardy will be in this movie. It's a prequel. In this case I believe the director genuinely doesn't want to use CGI and I wouldn't be surprised if Theron is back in one of the Tom Hardy movies.

Mcavoy Xavier & Stewart Xavier.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, who is?

But she ain't bad at all.