1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our next major target should be a young/long/athletic big forward? Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Aug 12, 2021.

1. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'm happy to just play out this season with the young guys. And get the F in the draft. Though with Wood Tate MartinJr. I think that s a good start.

Trade the vets with value or for expirings.

I strongly want this to be our rotation.
    Sengun Garuba
    Wood
    Tate MartinJr
    Green Christopher
    PorterJr Brooks

I don't understand getting Theis & Nwaba to improve our position from 13th to 11th.....

Just run the young guys out and they might lose.
    But there will be moments of brilliance to entertain us & they will improve.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let's try to snatch Mikal Bridges from the Suns next season using Gordon's practically-expiring contract plus our future picks in a sign and trade. Maybe we send our expiring + picks to a third team and acquire someone the Suns would like to replace him with.

They seem to be hesitant to re-sign him at the $20-25m Bridges is going to seek, but for us we can afford to over pay him a little because most of our core assets' contracts are under team control for what 7 years or something (all rookies becomes restricted and we have bird rights, right?).

So if Tilman is willing to pay Luxur... oh wait, nevermind. Let's just tank again and grab the best 6'8 3&D player with a 7ft+ wingspan, bring him off the bench.

I wonder if we can convince the Warriors to..

Wiggins + Kuminga

for

Gordon + Augustin + House + a way-in-the-future pick that has a good chance of being top 10

Surely with them focusing on contending, they can get so much depth out of our trio vs trying to motivate Wiggins and teach him winning basketball. Kuminga is a great prospect imo but raw, he might need up to two years to develop into a significant playoff rotation player, we have that kind of time. They don't. Gordon can give you 20-30 solid playoff minutes, House and Augustin can give you 20 solid regular season minutes.

I think we could develop Kuminga into the guy we need, and I think the Warriors will shop him or Poole (I'd like to snatch any of them to be honest).

luckyman76 likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet or Banchero would fit nicely, Chet would probably be the best fit with his elite length and defensive ability, to go along with handle and shot.

smoothie and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Young / long / big / stud

[​IMG]

5. bongman

bongman Member

Dream was only 6'9.5 I think

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Just came up with the exact same thing.

no way house / Gordon gets kuminga but if we take Wiggins we save them a ton of Money and make them better. Kuminga will take longer to develop and is the most expendable of GSWs young guys.

Gordon , augustin almost get you there so house + throwing in Thomas to drop.

question is do we want 5 players contracts all expiring at once?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Fantasy draftees: Paolo, Chet, Emoni, Victor Wembanyama, Jalen Duren
    Fantasy Free agents: Embiid, Jokic, Zion, Vucevic, KAT, Domantas

saleem, cmoak1982 and BossHogg713 like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

this randomless is uh, misplaced. As in shared publicly.

9. jb86

jb86 Member

We should trade for Mo Bamba or Bol Bol.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

6'10 and a half, or 6'10 and 3/4.

Killatron 2000 and bongman like this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There's like 6 great prospect bigs in the next two drafts. Just make sure you get top five picks in the next two drafts.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Bol Bol, he may be obtainable too. I think he relies on his natural abilities and doesn't work hard. There is no other reason why he shouldn't be ahead of the other bench bigs. That's why I have reluctantly given up on him.

jb86 likes this.
  13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Sign TJ Warren next offseason or draft a versatile 3/4 in the Scottie Barnes mold somehow.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. We don't need (or rather shouldn't) try to sign any current young big to a huge contract because this team won't be contending for a championship in the next few years. If we get another top 5 pick next year, THAT would be our time to get the big we need. I

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I just realized though that Wiggins is not expiring, so maybe the pick needs to be protected or replaced with a couple of seconds.

Tough sell, but it's a really unique situation that a good prospect (who also has G League training) might be available.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Benjamin Simmons

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

18. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I love the silliness of these trade threads. Like, no one is going to give us their promising young studs (Kuminga, Isaac) for our broken old veterans and negative-value players like House. And I realize that Wiggins hasn't lived up to his potential or to the size of his $30M / year contract, but the Warriors wouldn't trade him ON HIS OWN for a package of Gordon / Augustine / House -- let alone Wiggins AND Kuminga. The Warriors would not improve by swapping Wiggins for ANY of the players we have to offer. EDIT: Except for maybe Wood.

Wiggins scored almost 19 PPG on career-best efficiency while guarding opponents' best scorers. His defended field goal % was among the lowest in the league last season among perimeter players. I've heard that their FO is much higher on Wiggins than the outside world, and I tend to agree with that sentiment -- he'll continue to improve if he doesn't have to be The Guy and can instead be the third option who gets his points in the flow of the offense. If Klay returns to pre-injury form, the Warriors could be scary again.

I think this is a testament to the Warriors' player development, as Wiggins was a negative defender who was constantly asked to do too much in Minny, and that same player development is going to be a great benefit for Kuminga, too. He's raw but has all of the physical tools to be fantastic, and it's entirely possible that he's able to become an exciting young contributor in their rotation BEFORE their window closes.

Either way, the Warriors are only trading Wiggins or Kuminga (or Wiseman) to acquire a star player in his prime with the potential to really move the needle and help them contend again, à la Ben Simmons or Pascal Siakam.

#38 ElDobleK, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Why not?, lakersuck2, Milos and 2 others like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You think Christian Wood moves the needle? He's probably the only player that MIGHT bring back some of these fantasy island scenarios.

Why not?, saleem and ElDobleK like this.
  20. raining threes

I would rather have Benjamin Wilson