1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

So does Sengun.

Dude is one happy camper.

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is only 19, and when he plays against real NBA bigs there will be a transition period, it took Capela like 2+ years, we need to be patient with Sengun.

DD

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

You already see Sengun making grown ass men feel some type of way towards him, imagine his effect on women?

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Getting an Enes Kanter-caliber player at #16 is pretty good value.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am hoping for more of a Turkalo etc.....or a quicker Okur.

DD

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really like what I've seen so far .... but this is summer league , not the NBA , I really have to wonder if his game will translate against NBA big men .... that's a whole new can of worms both mental and physical.

Its pretty clear he's at a very high level mentally but he seems somewhat limited physically. Of all the draft picks , he is the one that concerns me most ....

SuperKev, harold bingo and ashleyem like this.
  7. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Fair enough… however I’m pretty sure Capela wasn’t as successful in another professional league at such a young age either. We forget there’s already a sample size with him against aged competition. Also his game is different than Capelas. Capela is a rim runner. Sengun’s game is like Tate’s. It’s scrappy, hustle, passing, rebounding, dirty work. Things that make him successful even if he’s not scoring.

But I get your point. I think we’re all excited to have something to look forward to. We’re going to have to remind ourselves that our core is nothing but 19 and 20 year olds.

hakeem94, Rocket_ph and saleem like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Let's hope for the best. He will need time to get adjusted to the speed of the NBA. DD is right, we need to be patient with him.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Scouting/evaluating is an inexact science. Advanced stats tell you who were the productive players, who help their teams win. Then you have to figure out will his attributes translate to the NBA. And lastly and I think most importantly is what’s the developmental curve, trajectory the prospect is on aka how much is he improving.

Sengun was wildly productive as everyone knows. But there has been players in the past, especially in a similar mold (people thought) who didn’t translate to the NBA. Vernon Carey was an example I used who also had out of world stats at Duke. However one look at film tells you he dominated using strength which will not translate to the NBA when everyone is bigger and stronger. Enes Kanter is another example, but dig deeper and you see that he has always had low “stocks”, steals+blocks, which coupled with his already slow lateral speed meant terrible defense. Jahil Okafor is a good low post scorer but a black hole on offense.

With Sengun, he dominated a grown man league that is more physical and allow more banging inside than the NBA, with skill not brute strength or athleticism. That translates. While he has below average foot speed, he has high “stocks” for a big, league leading blocks and extremely high steal rate which correlates with high IQ. And IQ always translates. Finally he has the highest assist% since Jokic, in fact at the same age Sengun had higher. This is important for a few reasons. Once again it demonstrates his IQ. But also, pounding it in the post is not the greatest offense, even if you are an elite post scorer (like midrange), but with passing incorporated, you can turn post possessions into wide open 3s which are far more efficient. You can run a modern NBA offense with a passing big man, not a black hole.

Lastly and most importantly, I made an entire thread on this after we drafted him, his trajectory and development curve is insane. A year ago he wasn’t even on the NBA’s radar, he was a nice player who was 30 pounds overweight, beat up on some kids at international tournaments but no one gave a second look as a serious prospect. He lost 30 pounds in a year, became far more mobile and athletic, and stormed onto the NBA scene by winning mvp of a tough domestic league. This trajectory can continue with NBA level strength and condition training and further development of his skills.

So in the end advanced stats only played a partial role in why he was a worthwhile prospect. He had generational production. His skill set was transferable to the NBA. And he had a terrific developmental trajectory. He checked all the boxes.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

FUUUUUUCK. leave Sengun alone, DD!? PLEASE!!

who am i kidding.. RIP AL-P

nice knowing you and your ex-translator

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

>Fears nothing and no one. Believes he is the best player every time he steps on the court. Believe he can beat any opponent in front of him. Fight to the end(death???) is what’s important.<

MY GOD this man is Mamba mentality personified

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

That necklace is hypnotizing.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

DD is never right! ... never ever!

As for Sengun , what concerns me is his foot speed , he just seems to be moving in slow motion .... but it works.

He makes up for that with taking the right angles and being in the right place to begin with. He plays very smart.

You just hope it works against NBA players just the same.

Trackwell, Drift Monkey and Tfor3 like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Just out of curiosity I wanted to look up the actual numbers, utterly meaningless mind you, only two game sample, this is purely for fun, don’t take it too seriously:

PER: 37.44
    Ortg: 129.6
    Drtg: 87.1
    Net rtg: +42.5

just to illustrate the dominance goes far beyond “18 and 11”. These numbers are otherworldly. Particularly of note the mere 87.1 drtg. For reference Jalen Green has been ridiculously efficient and he’s only putting up 28 PER and +26 net rtg.

further reference

Enes Kanter summer league numbers

PER: 18.5
    Ortg: 97
    Drtg: 94
    Net rtg: +3

did I mention this was when he was 20 years old and already had a full nba season under his belt since he didn’t play summer league his rookie year?

i think it’s time we retire that comp

#656 CXbby, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He is a PRO, and an MVP. He is a hybrid of old school fundamentals and modern era player. He will need 2-3 months to 1 full season tops. Oh and he is so hehpee.

Dobbizzle, D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I like how you think.
    I agree.
    Her necklace makes me so so hehpee

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL people already talking about sengoats defensive upside , and 10 days ago the defense was his acheeles heel