1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

This dude is straight up legit!

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m really blown away by what a great defensive disruptor JAygup is. And he already seems to have a nice chemistry with Sengun when running plays. He does get a little tunnel vision sometimes and he needs to significantly work on his shot. But overall I love what I’m seeing from a young #24 pick - shoot I’d be happy to see this from a top 10 pick.

3. HeyBudLetsParty

Going to need to be patient with him but think it’s almost a certainty he’ll become a good NBA player. Has things you can’t teach intangibles, leadership, athleticism. and tenacity not to mention that reverse alleyopp he finished. I think the fastest way for him to break into the rotation will be through defense, sprinting in transition, and not letting the ball stick to him on offense. Jrue Holiday type ceiling, that’s who Stone compared him too, floor would be Nick Young if he can’t harness everything he’s got going for him. Based on what I’ve seen and heard from him, I’m confident he’ll put the work in to get close to his ceiling.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think he can be Marcus Smart type of player with his tenaciousness and defense. He hustles a **** ton on all plays, and is an annoying defender that gets in your face.

The offense is a lot of tunnel vision though, but he did make some good passes. He really needs a jumper badly

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

He’s going to be lethal in fast breaks and facilitating in those when he causes turnovers. And he’s a glue guy to boot! Love this pick!

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not so sure I label him a glue guy .... most of those we label as such do one or two things well and do most other things at a passible level - Battier , PJ , Ariza , ChuckWagon and few of those guys are as versatile positionally.

What I see from JC is a kid with a very versatile game , able to play multiple positions ... and then there's the defense. In two games he's got two highlight reel's defending the #1 and #3 picks.... He took Cade's lunch money at mid court.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Where do yall see him fitting with Green and KPj as the future backcourt?

Corrosion likes this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Eric Gordon role

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think he backs up Green mostly, and comes in situationally in more defensive line ups. If Green really develops as a defender then I could see them playing alongside each other more than if he doesn't. Aldo depends where KP ends up on the defensive end, if he's markedly worse than Green that'd also mean seeing more of JG and JC together. I think once Wall and EG are gone we're definitely going to need a second PG/ballhandler regardless.

everyday eddie, D-rock and Caesar like this.
  11. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Whether he comes off the bench or not, I think you can play all 3 together, assuming KPJ/Green keep working on defense, and all 3 keep growing, since they're 6'5", 6'5" and 6'6". Not saying they should start together, but it's not unfeasible. JC is probably going to have to guard the 3-man.

Green needs to put on weight, JC needs to keep working on his 3-ball and KPJ needs to work on his off-ball game/defense, but I think all of those things are entirely possible.

This is part of what makes the Garuba pick so important. If he can be a 6'8" defensive terror who can guard bigs/wings, it allows us to play more explosive lineups (Sengun included) around him. The same goes for Tate, but to a lesser degree.

12. conquistador#11

He can play the young Harden role in 'our' championship team. age 21, comes off the bench and scores an automatic 16 points. "bench" player that plays 30 minutes.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lockdown defender in a guard-dominant NBA is of premium value. If he can be consistent (35%+) on his 3 point shots and a low-turnover playmaker, he's going to be at an all-star or higher level.

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Must be lol. Started off whenever we would get a talented big of any kind, someone would believe they had Dream potential... Not sure who first one was... Cato mebbe, definitely happened with D Mo. Most likely it was Stromile.

That would be an interesting thread... Bigs Who Had Dream Potential, A History

#134 burlesk, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    BamBam likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's a really good question .... I'd like to see them together on the court before answering but that's months away.

I think Green is going to take some lumps on the defensive end .... teams are going to target him early on until he proves they shouldn't.

Christopher I believe will ultimately be able to defend 1-3 and some 4's depending on the matchup.

Porter can defend the 1-2-3 spots depending upon matchups. Not so sure I want him defending quicker 1's.

Then there's the question of who's the facilitator and who's playing off the ball .... Right now , I like Green as the off ball guy shooting coming off of screens and pin downs. He's really got to work on his pick and roll game .... that's what's going to make him or not and he's got to really improve the decision making there.

They are all terribly young and have a lot of growing as players to become what they ultimately will be ... its really hard to project.

I do have a feeling that Josh Christopher is going to make Silas find a place for him somewhere somehow based upon his defense & effort alone.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I will apologize to Stone, JC, Thriller and entire Rockets org right now, I initially questioned this pick in same way.

I was F'ing wrong.

Jaygup was a great pick - on his own merits.

Shark44, flamingdts, jcmoon and 9 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

JC is such a troll and I love it!!!

18. csc177

csc177 Member

19. Denovo

Denovo Member

I’m intrigued by the idea of a KP, Green, JC 3 guard line up.

KP and JC will have to make strides as shooters but JC has the wing span and strength to guard the 3.

Could be explosive in spurts. Similar to OKC with the CP, SGA and Shroeder line up but much bigger.

i3artow i3aller, jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  20. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

that would nice, our version of the three headed monster. JC would especially have to improve from 3 for this to work. But i agree he can guard the 3 and we can just go small... i thought greens defense was serviceable also. He isn't bad at all. he'll definately be above average on D.

Denovo and Drift Monkey like this.