1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving on from John Wall, the Wizards have since done this....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The Dinwiddle inclusion is silly. Anyway, I'd rather have Sengun than that pile of mediocre assets. When you start bogging your roster down with decent-but-not-great vets, you lose a lot of flexibility.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

At this point of summer league play Sengun blocks shots like a stud defender, he is passing out of the post like a legend, and he can score at the rim, from the free throw line and the NBA logo. Could be the steal of the decade. I said prior to the draft I see no way he falls past the Spurs, I'm still shocked we grabbed him at 16 thanks to the Wiz.

hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I don't get it. So they trade Westbrook for more pieces to compete for the 8th seed? I don't want to be stuck in purgatory like them. No thanks

GotGame15 likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the Rockets traded Wall for Kuzma, Harrell, Pope we'd all be extremely upset.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm kind of tired of hating on him. He used to be so nasty and can still have moments. Last year was just an awful year all around for the Rockets, but a perfect opportunity to test and push his body. Maybe he eases up on the tank commander pedal and focuses more on being pass first to up his value for a playoff team. A lot more weapons this season and just all around more hype and fun to be had. You can feel it in the air. I'm just going to root for him to ball out.

Pat, Dobbizzle and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. 34to11

34to11 Member

Watching Westbrook in that playoff series against the Lakers was the absolutely low point of my entire basketball life.
    Moreover, knowing that we would be stuck with Westbrook for several years to come, and likely lose picks for the privilege, I had never felt so hopeless as a Rockets fan in my life.
    John Wall provided an out from that misery and for that alone I will be forever grateful.

So personally I don't give a sht what the Washington Wizards do going forward or what narratives they have to craft to assuage their feelings.
    I'm just thankful that they were a tool in helping the Rockets move on from one of the worst trades in franchise history.

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Westbrook was so bad in that Lakers series I wouldn’t have been shocked if he started shooting at the wrong basket.

34to11, Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

We acquired the #2 pick through the amazing tank commander contributions of Johnathan Hildred Wall Jr. plus flipped the pick we got out of this trade +another meaningless pick for Sengun.

Chess, not checkers.

Nippystix, SamFisher and BigM like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Is that supposed to be an impressive list? Or are they saying the Wizards are basically the same team they've been since their existence with or without John Wall?

With Wall being out and Beal missing time they probably would've been at the top of the lottery. Beal, Wall and Mobley would've been interesting.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

1) Someone please explain how the Wizards flipped Wall's contract into Dinwiddie? Wasn't he an unrelated free agent signing?
    2) The Wizards gave us a 1st round pick which was not mentioned.
    3) The rest of that list is a poo poo platter.

34to11 and Patience like this.
  11. Spooner

Spooner Member

I would trade all of those players for a first. Isnt the goal to rebuild? Now they have a bunch of negative assets with bloated contracts like Kyle Kuztrash and Montrezl who couldn’t even get minutes over a 60 year old Marc Gasol. Lmao Op do you actually deep down believe what you are saying? I’d rather have Sengun than a bunch of scrubs this has to be a joke.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

At least Washington was able to thwart us by drafting Kispert one slot ahead of us. We were forced to settle for Al P :(

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Without the Washington pick we might not have Alperen Sengun.

Convenient to leave that out.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

The bolded is mainly true because Wall's contract is now a year older. The closer that contract gets to expiring, the more appeal the contract has.

15. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Wait what's the point of this thread? To criticize Houston? To praise Washington?

Why are people celebrating the return they got from Westbrook as if it's a "haul"? Like someone else said it's mediocrity treadmill for the Wizards.

As for Wall in Houston...why the hell does it matter? The team is in the midst of a rebuild and has some excellent and exciting pieces already. Wall's contract sucks, but it's off the books in two years. Houston isn't competing in the interim.

Wall on the roster literally doesn't matter. Won't keep the team from competing. And if he plays selfishly then he'll end up like Horford.

I swear some people will nitpick and complain about everything...

16. Landry's Tooth

None of those guys but Montrez are earning their salary...

VoR likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

While I love where we are now, let's not pretend that it wasn't all luck. In a equally likely world, OKC would have received our 1st pick and we'd have no Green and maybe even no Sengun.

18. VoR

VoR Member

I wouldn't watch that team.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I smell GM extension at an Eastern Conference team!

Hippieloser and napalm06 like this.
  20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

He didn’t screw up. He was tasked with offloading Westbrook as a result of Fertitta screwing up.

34to11, RudyTBag and theDude like this.