1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That looks pretty nasty.

I would stick to authentic Chinese cuisine rounded off with some fortune cookies.

2. tksense

tksense Member

The "Peking Ducks" found in America all have significant quality drop-off (like at least 80% drop imo) compared to ones in China, it's something purests wouldn't even call Peking ducks. Even with authentic techniques, the result is often far off from what you can get in China, because the different duck species yields very different results. North America is very strict on imports, I don't think US has giant rainbow lobsters either, for example.

On emulating the authentic tastes in Europe, the men at Paris' Shang Palace explains:

More than other regional Chinese styles, Cantonese food is lightly spiced “so as not to denature the intrinsic flavours,” he added.
    That meant procuring the best, freshest ingredients possible, which has been a challenge, said the Shangri-La‘s executive chef Philippe Labbe.
    “We tried 30 different types of duck before we found one that yielded the signature crispy skin of Beijing-style roasted duck,” he said.

https://luxuothailand.com/life/dining/shang-palace-restaurant-shangri-la-hotel-paris.html

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so did he say its an 80% drop? like just 20% authentic? and he really needs to put double quotes in the menu? "Peking Duck" lol

4. tksense

tksense Member

No that's just my opinion from experience. I'm sure there are ones made in better quality than I've tried, but the underlying issue that can't be changed is the lack of correct ingredient. That's also why a certain authentic dishes are so hard to replicate abroad. Chefs often have to use creativity and careful selection of replacements to emulate the desired result. Other dishes that use more common ingredients will have much easier time to be replicated successfully. So my preference would be to enjoy what's great in America with local produce. That said, still can't help but to miss these other things on occasion though.

5. vlaurelio

have you tried any if these places?
    https://www.touristsecrets.com/travel-guide/food-travel/top-10-peking-duck-houses-across-america/

6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve been to Peking Duck House. I honestly found their duck really good and pretty close to what I’ve had at the great restaurants in Beijing. In terms of preparation I’m sure it’s pretty similar (and they even had the chefs carve the roast duck in front of your table like over here too!). If anything is different I would say it was the taste of the duck itself. It was really good, though.

But then again even in Beijing the taste of the duck is different across restaurants; 全聚德 and 四季民福’s ducks don’t taste the same because each place has their own “special” way of preparation. But they’re all good. Or maybe I’m just not that picky and enjoy crispy roast duck with 甜面酱 wrapped in a Beijing bird tortilla.

TLDR: In my opinion you can find great Peking duck in the states. It’ll taste a little different but the chefs are all Chinese so it’s not like it’s inauthentic, right?

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. tksense

tksense Member

I'm sure they are tasty. They look on-par with the best I've tried, but still far-off from China. By 80% drop, I mean while ducks in US can be enjoyable, the name-sake ones in Peking can be extraordinary, that's how it becomes famous dish (also plenty of mediocre places milking the brandname dish). The US ducks are done in the traditional style, so it's closer to the original style in China, but i'm mainly comparing it to the new-school style popularized by DaDong, where I feel a much larger discrepancy.

From the pictures, you can tell instantly, especially from the skin, that they lack the special skin quality from the authentic Chinese ducks (compare to the pic I posted); they should have like three layers of textures, each texture can be complemented by the assortment of dipping seasoning/sauces served in the new-school style (skin is esp good served with sugar) to accentuate their distinctive qualities. This new-school style is also not really practiced state-side, probably because the duck itself cannot achieve the special chemistry for it to be worth such exhibition.
    It's really a completely different experience, maybe you have to try it to understand; along with xiao long bao and many other things, i think it's worth a trip for it.

Thanks to the off-season we get to talk about the real Peking ducks lol

#847 tksense, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Little Bit, vlaurelio and Roomba like this.
  8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

:(
    The duck skin with sugar is something that I can’t get used to, for whatever reason. I know it’s best like that but it’s just not my thing. Also fries in milkshakes. I’m probably just a freak o_O

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't stomach much sugar, but the sugar is similar to the brownish sauce, sweet.

The mix of sweet and salty could be called "freaky taste". I can live with it but some people love it.

In other news, Jerry has teh Covid.

Taste the Canton or Guangdong Duck or Goose too, it's not as crisp but served with a plum sauce.

Roomba likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel like Cantonese cuisine uses the umami flavor a lot. And some pepper.

11. tksense

tksense Member

Let's put it this way, coastal America enjoys lots of immigrants cuisines, so the best they can offer, albeit at a premium price, can often be on par with upper-mid quality found in their motherland.

But if you do apple to apple: best of the best compared to creme de la creme of the authentic versions, in this case, best duck in US vs best duck in Peking, it is still 80% difference at least for me (tastes are subjective).

Likewise, plenty of gourmet American or European food are not matched in China (except Hong Kong), laregly due to China's high tariff too. But the best food in Asia is street food/comfort food, most of which are non-existent in the west.

I have not talked about food for ages, I thought I was over it already. But thanks anyways!

12. vlaurelio

so you have eateb in one of those restaurants listed? which one/s? if let us know where you have tasted the best peking duck in America

13. tksense

tksense Member

Yes, it's a combo approach. Europeans/Japanese like plain, Americans like power-flavors. Cantonese actually excels in both. They have dishes that use minimal seasoning if at all, esp for live seafood, or their many creative mango desserts. While others use heavy flavoring or MSG a lot, like BBQ pork. The flavoring is supposed to help bring out the essence of the ingredient (as described also in the article).

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. tksense

tksense Member

I like the "new-school style" Peking duck, as I explained, the ducks here are not the same style, and not the same duck type, so for the purpose of my subjective opinion, they're not really comparable.

My intel is from like decade ago, so the best establishments doing it today are probably a slightly different crop. For Chinese food, real immigrants/foreign investors increased compared to the 90s, so the amount of authentic restaurants also increased. But the ingredient itself is what's not replicable.

Nowadays I tend to go for stuff that make good use of local ingredients instead. I try to not miss the stuff i can't get, don't tempt me ok? lol

15. vlaurelio

so you haven't tried or tasted any peking duck here in the US but swear it tastes just 20% of the ones in Beijing okay I'm fine with that

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You talk a lots of sh't and pretend like an expert on foods, sadly you dont even know the history and background of Yao's restaurant in H town in a Rockets fan forum.

18. tksense

tksense Member

Sigh, i didnt expect this kind of animosity... First, taste is subjective, you can like anything. Then I bring up the objective factors such as the difficulty in sourcing ingredients due restriction of imports, or climate and economics that prevent food productions away from their original habitats etc. These have significant influence in the result of food replication.

I realised my first comment wasn't clear, I should have said the new-school style and the duck type is not available in the states, so the very specific result is not achievable. Even within China, the quality difference is huge between restaurants, and I much prefer the new-school style. I thought I'd just make an introduction that maybe some of you are not aware of, i didnt mean to make any of you feel bad. If you don't like an opinion and a fact (lack of duck), you can go back to think whatever you like.

And yes, I already explained I've had good peking ducks in the states, but I mean to say the specific ones in Peking such as from DaDong is still far superior, different duck available, different cooking style, they are not even comparable as far as I'm concerned.

I also think it's pointless to name-drop esp potentially misunderstood as a dig / plus it's just food guys, chill, I enjoy a chick-fil-ay or nation's burger too

#858 tksense, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You would be healthier eating that than chicken breast, brown rice and broccoli.

VickMackey likes this.
  20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Peking duck is too fatty and greasy. Overrated by northern Chinese just like Cali folks overrate in and out. Give me a Shanghai braised duck or a whataburger justaburger any day :p

Or better yet, just some good xiaolongbao.