1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2021 Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rashmon, Aug 9, 2021.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo had one season of decent, not dominant, basketball. He shouldn't be put on a pedestal. I get that you might want to avoid overhype, but DMo is such a low bar for comparison for Sengun that it's almost comical. This would be like saying Green has only had two decent summer league games, he's not on Von Wafer's level yet.

Dobbizzle, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Pre injury DMo would have had a long career in the NBA as a above average starter.. That's probably a good goal for Sengun.

DMo was a real.offensive weapon before he had his career derailing injuries. Add pre-injury DMo to the 2018 Rockets and they beat the Warriors.

ElPigto likes this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

DMo was a real treat that 2014 - 2015 season prior to his injury. He was a legit threat which provided Harden some help with Dwight missing half the season. I remember Tarik and Joey Dorsey worked as the starting centers because D-Mo provided what was needed offensively. Defensively he did well just didn't have the strength against some of the stronger centers in the league.

It's too bad DMo did not work out in Houston.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He was a good 6th man type. His offense was good. He couldn't handle physical contact much.

5. fchowd0311

Still, he would be a much better version of Ryan Anderson. If his career progressed imagine how good he would be in 2018.

He could have provided some much needed offense when everyone was bricking threes in game 7. He would get the team some solid two point buckets around the rim.

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Oh definitely! D-Mo was refined on offense and his defensive rotation was good.

hakeem94 and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

Definitely. So I think if Sengun turns out to be pre-injury DMo with a long career, that would be a very good win for the Rockets for the 16th pick. I'm not saying that's his ceiling though. But it's something I would be happy with.

That's a solid third option on a contending team. I'm hoping KPJ can fill out as the second option/primary ball handler.

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The one thing Dorris or Phyllis said that I agreed with is that Lamb has a little Georges Niang type of game. I like Lamb at 11th or 12th man type, puts forth effort, does a little bit of everything and is unselfish. BTW, Niang just got paid by Morey.

D-rock and Williamson like this.
  9. Sengun

Sengun Member

I didn't think I'd agree with this Itamar guy, but he captured it well. A very good example of how Sengun can lead the team as a center in the future. My smart son.

Bo6, seclusion, hakeem94 and 8 others like this.
  10. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

man what an entertaining game, so crazy how NBA can keep you excited and we're in the OFFSEASON

Green - I thought he was very good. He's definitely special. You can see the "it" factor. He obviously won't average 50% shooting percentage (like he is in the first two summer league games) and he'll have his struggles but I was most impressed by how smooth he looked. he didn't get frustrated, he didn't force issues, he didn't bark at Cade (maybe except for after that one 3 towards the end) We definitely got the right guy

Cade - I thought he played very well too. He's also special. He's definitely got that leadership and culture builder type feel. He played pretty good defense too. I definitely don't think it's the case where Green outplayed him or something. You can clearly tell he's special too. Detroit didn't make a mistake.

Sengun - Like many others, I'm SO EXCITED about this dude. His feel for the game and IQ is UNBELIEVABLE. He missed so many shots that I think he's normally going to make. He just makes winning plays. wow just wow. during the first game, at one point, he was so good i remember thinking, are the rockets gonna be too good this season because of this guy and ruin our draft pick position? before coming to my senses

Christopher - You just love guys like this. Completely fearless, completely confident. JR smith type. He'll have games where he'll shoot like 1-10 and you'll be so frustrated but then he'll have like 8 point personal run where he'll get the crowd hyped and just overall energy up. I was wrong to think this was the keep your superstar happy pick (thanks to @Clutch tweet) :D

just my fan observations. god i love my rockets

11. Rockets4Life13

This is incredibly ironic.

Denovo, vator and D-rock like this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I treated myself last night to a Rockets SL double-header. I think it was interesting to watch the games back-to-back. A few observations...

JG: While he's demonstrated he can score at all three levels, its his maturity that has impressed me the most, Jummer (I believe) mentioned how he reacted after Cade hit that 3pt shot on him, I was like stick'em kid, but he didn't force it, he didn't overreact--he was a helluva lot more mature than me and I'm 61! He was amped to start GM 2, but quietly put together an impressive low-key 25 pts. In the first game, I was really impressed by his high arc and soft touch, very consistent shooter. Yes his off hand elbow sticks out, but his shooting motion/follow through is pure--he may collect a few more fouls with that chicken wing out as well. He's still playing a little fast and needs to use screens better/more often. After watching him go against Cade, I'm very happy we had #2 and got Jalen. There is something about Cade that I'm just not sure about. He tried to pull the team together after a play and Killian Hayes body language was like he wasn't buying into Cade's leadership yet. Maybe I'm reading more into it or just I'm loathe of anything from the Dallas area.

Sengun: Alpi is definitely an old basketball soul! Dude is bringing it in all phases of the game like he's 25 and not barely 19. Amazing SL debut so far. Yes, I worry that in the big league those power up the middle drives will be stuffed or jump balls, but he'll figure how what he needs to do (he's really BB smart). What I love:
    - He always seems to be in the right position, take the right angle or make the right play on defense--very pleasant surprise!
    - He looks slow, but his ball fakes, footwork and ball-handling makes up for him not being elite athletically
    - He's got some Moses Malone rebounding instincts in him. Malone studied shooters to position himself best for the potential rebound and Alpi (see pt #1) is always competing for the rebound. Lord knows we need more rebounding and he seems to a guy we can rely on to get boards
    - Offensively he's fairly well rounded, but he'll have to knock down a few more 3s to get that fake to work at the next level. He's got really good court vision, that between the legs pass to JG in GM1 was next level stuff, really nice.
    - Saying a prayer before shooting FTs. I mean, who can criticize a guy for calling on the Basketball Gods for a little help. ;)
    - He's the kind of player that makes the rest of his teammates better.
    Like the rest of you, I'm infatuated with what this kid has done so far and can't wait to see what he does when he get really good at English!

Josh C: This was the pick I wasn't ecstatic about, wanted Grimes, however, JC has some dawg in him and he's winning me over with his defense. Loved what he did to Numero Uno last night. He's not a natural PG because he's been the man growing up, but he's shown particularly in 2nd half of GM2 that he's got some playmaking skills. Definitely a plus athlete, who can make some acrobatic shots and seems comfortable in the midrange. Needs some time to work on his decision-making and would hope he gets G-League minutes until we trade some more vets, believe he would benefit from the minutes and experience.

KMJr: Loved he blocked Mobley's dunk attempt--welcome to the pros big fella! Solid, consistent 7th-8th man that is knocking down his open looks and comes up with several WOWs every game.

K. Thomas: Seems ready to pickup where he finished the year. Likely will be 4th or 5th guard to start season, but solid all around game.

Lamb: I know most of you don't like this kid, but I do for an end of the bench guy. He's got some game, but usually defers.

Foster: Pass.

Hurt: Looked clumsy and goofy in GM1, but actually made a couple of plays in GM2 that were somewhat encouraging. If he continues, I'd be fine to see him play for the Vipers this year and see what training staff can do with his body.

Can't wait to see Garuba. Hopefully he makes SL appearance.

Oh, Mr. Anderson, believe he's a nice pu and if trades our made would be a good end of bench guy.

13. kevtse

kevtse Member

err...when even a little play like this one get exaggerated, you know he is a superstar. I like it!

14. JW86

JW86 Member

While the stats themselves mean very little, there's a reason to be excited about our rookies for various reasons. All 3 of them are doing things that should translate to the NBA. That is why it's not an overreaction to say we nailed the draft. They might not all pan out, looking at you Christopher, but damnit they will surely be entertaining and making winning plays in the years to come.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

DMo did not work out ANYWHERE in the NBA.

Like him too before his injury, but he's so overrated on CF.

BamBam, Dobbizzle and linvetb6 like this.
  16. Sengun

Sengun Member

Oh man, c'mon. It was not a little play. It was a game changer.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He kicked ass that one season, that's all I'm talking about. Pre-injury of course.

Hippieloser and D-rock like this.
  18. BonziWellsGOAT

Take it easy pal :mad::mad::mad:

19. BonziWellsGOAT

When did this turn into a D-Mo slander thread??? Unacceptable

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I dont know whats going on with Clutch takes but they were not good with Sengun and JC.

wlekfjv923n likes this.