1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman, how are you....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Aug 10, 2021.

1. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I’ve always felt that when plenty of people were going with Ferntits and Tilfart, etc, it was counterproductive to police the use of ‘Tillman’, but feel free to keep fighting the good fight.

As far as the OP’s question about how will Tilman pay all these guys - the answer is that he won’t. Best case, he’ll pay some and make smart trades with the rest to get value back. Worst case, he’ll trade all of them away in salary avoiding moves and take back picks to push off the whole ‘contending’ thing another player development cycle.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yeah - the pain isn't going to be in those first few contracts - the value of young superstars on max contracts is through the roof. Trae Young is getting $28mil to start with his first big contract year - figure we may have one or two guys making similar money in the next 3-4 years - assuming Green doesn't pull the Luka "All NBA Team in 2 years of his rookie contract" situation that gifted him a rare supermax for a young player. I don't think all of these players will pan out to be superstars(this IS only Summer League) and a few of them will have to get the tough lesson of being a RFA before they get their first big contract but realistically I think mostly all these young guys will get paid well enough in the short term - we should have a runway of 4-6 years of being able to pay everyone without great sacrifices on account of the way our cap sheet essentially clears up in 2 years before the young guys are getting paid.

The big problem will be when those guys are up for their next contracts and THEN there will have to be compromises made to decide how far into the salary cap we are willing to be over and what we are going to do with our young guys who will inevitably have to leave to get paid their market worth. Wall and EGO will be long gone by then and I suspect Wood's timetable means he will be traded at some point to make cap room for our young guys acquired through the draft(next year's draft is deep for big men for example and Sengun has starter potential already). It would be interesting if in this rebuild Stone can manage to be aggressive shopping young drafted talent for future picks and keep a pipeline of valuable cost controlled guys on rookie/first contract deals. In terms of having a blank slate to work with - Stone really does have more options than most GMs who have to make sacrifices in terms of contracts that don't quite line up the way you hope unless 3-4 guys from this draft turn into legit players in which case - good problem to have in terms of picking and choosing.

theDude likes this.
  3. VoR

VoR Member

With the pace of inflation, surf and turf will be $60 and tickets will be starting at $75. All you have to do is own assets to weather the inflation storm.

4. csc177

csc177 Member

THIS! Worried about 3 years out and havent even played a real NBA game yet.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Worth noting this is about the most clutchfan thread of all time.

....reading through the comments and people are simultaneously beating up on Fertitta while acknowledging how awesome the team looks, while also being completely unrealistic about how we are watching SUMMER LEAGUE results and anticipating all the headaches our cap will look like after we are on our 2nd championship 3 years from now and all these stars are looking for max contracts. You couldn't encapsulate the state of this board in late 2021 better than what you see in this thread right now.

Bravo gentlemen....now let's go get that Summer League title to sit on the shelf next to the Larry O'Brien Trophy being delivered in a few years.

theDude likes this.
  6. ballgame

ballgame Member

I know it's Summer League, however thinking waaay ahead but I can see the following based upon what I've seen thus far;

JG - MAX PLAYER
    WOOD - JUST BELOW MAX
    SENGUN - JUST BELOW MAX
    KPJ - JUST BELOW MAX
    KMJ - 15M
    CHRISTOPHER - 15M
    Tate - 10M

We may run into a KD, Westbrook and Harden situation. Hopefully JG will leave some on the table.

PatBev likes this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dan Langhi was a Titan of the summer league, too. It happens. I’m not too worried about our top 3 guys. One of them could bust, but I like their chances to translate.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The issue is we should also have top 5 picks in the next two years.

Sadly KPJ might be trade bait for some good cost controlled role players.

9. alethios

alethios Member

Lol, KPj went from focal point of the rebuilding effort to trade bait in one offseason.

Rudyc281 and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. theDude

Supporting Member

They also had Ibaka. I believe he got the max from them.

JG shouldn’t need t leave anything on the table. The decision they will need to make is whether they want to sign another free agent in with their cap space in 2023 before re-signing Wood, or if they want to keep Wood at all. They will have to start laying all of the groundwork now for 2023 and 2024 free agency.

11. ballgame

ballgame Member

True! I forgot about Serge Ibaka. I know this is far fetched but I wonder if Stone is smarter than we think. Recently, NBA Players have been forgoing staying with their teams and forcing trades to sign with their friends on other teams to win a Championship. Did Stone draft Christopher with the mindset that he, Green and Christopher are all friends and hoping they would all accept favorable contracts to stay together?

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is actually a good discussion.

If Green projects out to be a superstar and supermax player, you can't be handing out max deals to fake max players like Wood and KPJ.

Something is going to have to give.

joshuaao, Blatz, theDude and 2 others like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. If we keep all these players, and they all believe themselves max-worthy...? Wood is not. KPJ probably isn't....at least, not yet. Among four rookies, we will have some large contracts handed out when the time comes.

We do see what happens when teams hand out max contracts because they're afraid of losing a player ("we can always trade him later"; "we'll make sure he grows into earning that contract").

theDude likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Whatever it takes keep this young core together PERIOD!

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Green and Sengun, if their play holds up during the season, are musts. I'm really interested in Christopher as a third guard with KPJ and Green. Speaking of KPJ, if he is the 20/6/6 guy that I think he will be then he is another guy that is going to get paid and it should be by the Rockets. I think Wood might end up being sacrificed in order to make sure that the Rockets maintain the flexibility to sign their younger guys. My hope is that the 2022 draft brings another foundational piece and another solid role player. KPJ-Green-Sengun-'22 pick should be the core that takes up most of the cap with the remainder going to the role players supporting those guys.

16. theDude

Supporting Member

You really need to focus on players who exceed the max level. I think they will ultimately have to trade Wood ahead of his free agency just to make sure he isn’t absorbing cap space that could be used on one of those players that exceeds the max… true superstars. They should operate for now that Green is someone they will put in that category.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ will be a better basketball than Jalen Green

He bounced from the gleague and back and forth between starting and bench and still averaged 16/6

He also dropped 50/11 on Jrue Holidays head

KPJ/Green/Sengun will be our big 3 dynasty

sydmill likes this.
  18. theDude

Supporting Member

Because KPJ’s current contract is very pretty small, won’t his next one be limited in how large it can be? What is the max he can make?

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

Hopefully this with 2022 lottery pick surrounded by Tate, Martin, Christopher and Garuba as role players.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

Lol.. how quickly things turn. From a 50 pt game to trade bait

alethios likes this.