1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green 25 pts 5 rebs 3 asst 1 stl 10-11 FTs Outduelling Cunningham!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Aug 10, 2021.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Part of me wonders what Detroit was trying to prove. The only thing they proved to me was that they will be picking in the top 5 again next year.

Another big question off the table is how will Green and KPJ coexist? This is NOT Harden-CP3 or Harden-Westbrook. Green is very comfortable and natural playing off ball….a true shooting guard, not a PG trying to awkwardly adjust to sharing with someone else. KPJ will setup the offense, and Green will be a finisher.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They let Green's talking get to their heads and went all out on trying to protect Cade's feelings by concentrating on only stopping Green on defense.

Green with the full Rockers squad with KPJ, Gordon and Wall will have more space to operate.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I like KPJ but I think he'll be trade bait in a year or two

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Hakeem was not 6'11...

Dude, you're making yourself look bad, c'mon man!

Either way it's irrelevant, Green's height shouldn't be an issue at all. Cunningham is probably 6'6 3/4, who cares?

saleem likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

lets at least see how he plays/fits with the rookies

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  6. Jalen Green OnlyFan

And in a 48 minute rather than a 40 minute game

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Lol i'm making myself look bad? I wasn't aware my reputation was on the line.
    Ewing was 7ft. Hakeem clearly only an inch shorter at most. Alonzo 6'10. Clearly much shorter than Ewing. Shaq and Admiral are 7'1 and Hakeem wasn't much shorter than them. 6'11.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dwight Howard like Zo at 6'10
    [​IMG]

6'11. Rep ruined.
    [​IMG]

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

KPJ-Green-Wood is the combo I most want to see. How does Green perform when he has someone to set him up and a stretch 5 to open up the paint?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I'm not saying I agree, but I am having a hard time remembering a similar guard combo that had playoff success.
    Francis/Mobley
    John Wall/Beal
    Lillard/CJ
    Maybe:
    CP3/Harden
    CP3/Booker
    I. Thomas/Joe Dumars
    Steph/Klay (generational shooters)

I hope these guys are just something completely different w/ their size and shot creating, but defense will need to be great, and if there's any struggle it only takes so long before you've got to move one of those guys to fill another area of need.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I kinda tend to agree, especially when you add Josh Christopher to the mix. That's not even counting TC Wall. I do hope we get lucky enough that they can all play together and complement one another, though.

T FOR 3!!! likes this.
  11. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Depends on how well he plays. If he reaches his potential, we are going to do whatever we can to keep him

saleem and TWS1986 like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No chance, the Rockets need him running the point. Green isn't a point guard and is at his best in an off ball role.

Losing KPJ would hurt Green the most.

saleem, Rocketeer, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

vator, TWS1986 and BossHogg713 like this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Saw some highlights last night. He looked pretty good.

15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I know he's only 19. I thought his ball handling skill would be better, he lost handle few times trying to go iso. Maybe I was expecting too much. His shooting surprise me. Hopefully he can keep this up.

16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I can't remember the exact picture, but there was one with Hakeem and the rest of the Rockets roster from one of the championship seasons and he's significantly shorter than a couple of guys. He was probably about 6'10, and who cares? That's the point.

17. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

For people that are saying Cade playing great defense last night, they didn't notice how Green has cut/drove to the hoop at least twice when Cade was guarding him that resulted in a dunk and 2 free throws. Love how Green was able to spot the opportunities to score off ball. It's what we wanted Harden to do more of especially during the playoffs when they were double teaming him non stop.

fchowd0311 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Nice.

Also of note was that JC was the guy throwing the inbounds pass on this one, the sengun play and the Jalen green 3.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's so difficult to not make grand statements about this kid's future early on. I'm hoping he faces more and more complex defense in the summer league and watch how he adjusts. Tbh even the aesthetic of his game, he's the kind of player every kid wants to be. I didn't even know he's half filipino, which is great because those peeps love to play basketball day and night, I hope he inherited that haha

No sh*t there's an aspect of his game (passing out of double teams and PnR's, some handling and defense) that needs work. He's a 19 yr old. Here are some things he has that 19 year olds seldom have:

- Off court motor
    - Defensive effort
    - NBA-ready scoring

IMO his absolute floor is a Brandom Ingram type player, but we could be looking at a 6'6 Allen Iverson or speedier Kevin Durant who was also not very well-rounded and too skinny when he was drafted. Kobe is a good comparison too but I'm not sure his best defense will be as good as Kobe's best defense. Could potentially be an equivalent volume and more efficient scorer than Kobe. Green's not unselfish and will learn how to pass, but I'm not sure I see Lebron or T-Mac or Harden level passing, but it's so early. If he develops it over 6 years, he'd still be 25.

He gives up too easily on drives sometimes to take a mid range J, he has to be more selective there. The 10 FTA's in game 2 were great, that's key to his career. He never looked like he was afraid of contact, he just didn't seem to understand how to attack the defender and basket to generate fouls for his effort.

#159 Mathloom, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    TriumVirate, Rudyc281 and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Before anyone soaks their panties, it’s important to point out that Cade wasn’t playing as a playmaker for most of the game, and the Pistons are hot garbage even with him. I expect them to put the ball in his hands during the year until it’s time to lose games for tanking purposes.