1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green 25 pts 5 rebs 3 asst 1 stl 10-11 FTs Outduelling Cunningham!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Aug 10, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Simulation of games in practice and video analysis is what Jalen needs. An improved handle and better defense will come with time.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

It isnt hating bro both look really good. Cades jumper looks amazing from three tbh i expect him to be elite set shooter. He has Brandon Roy feel to him

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not having a true PG is the best thing for Jalen. Now he has some idea of NBA basketball.

#64 saleem, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    jcmoon likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I meant organized ball - from the collegiate level.

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

Exactly!

Detriot had a game plan for Jalen. They were blitzing him, trying to get the ball out of his hands. That says a lot about him in a Summer league game.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I agree with the exception that cade won't be the first option on a contender. You can't predict that based on a summer league game.

And while green has more pro-experience, cade has a lot more experience overall in terms of playing at a level that creates polish - he's also just older and thus is going to be more experienced. We're comparing what a 22 year old to a 19 year old - it's a big difference. Do you remember Kobe at 18? He wasn't a starter that's for sure.

If you're a Rockets fan, you have to be pretty happy with what you saw last night, and pretty happy that we took Green in the draft.

Moe likes this.
  8. ballgame

ballgame Member

Cade's body is more NBA ready, he's more of a playmaker but his shot needs work.

Jalen is just touching the surface. He can playmake too but I did not know he could shoot that well.....this kid is unbelievable

jcmoon and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Green needs to work on his left hand. I like Green in 5 years with some more handle development. Cade is very polished. Green won the battle though, as he was treated like a superstar by the Pistons defense.

saleem and BigM like this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t think low IQ is an accurate description of some of the mistakes Green made. People like to throw that around when someone makes a poor pass like it was an intelligence issue. He was too amped up early and combined with the pressing he was rattled. But to his credit he didn’t go out chucking and tried to let the the game come to him. Once he learns to use screens more and picks up his handle he’s going to be a pure beast.

Moe and houston19519 like this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This was my reaction as well. When they were matched up together, Cade definitely got the better of Green... both offensively and defensively. Flat out physically beat him on a couple of occasions and also made Green look out of control. Green came out early and just had one mode -- dribble drive to the basket, regardless of what the defense presented or the offensive plan... which led to some fumbles, turnovers and missed opportunities for others. Cade was more in control... Cade has more of a savvy to him in terms of how he secures the ball when driving, how he initiates contact, how he uses fakes and hesitation, and how he creates separation. Green is more just point and attack, full speed ahead... like a skier who just points straight down the mountain... sometimes when Green drives, he is hurried and almost in a panic type situation which can take away his court vision (head down) and also prevent him from reading the defense.

Green recovered and improved in the 2nd half, which was good to see. It's also important to keep in mind that the above description of Green's play sounds a lot like Kobe's entire first year in the NBA. So this isn't unusual or even unexpected from a 19-year old getting his feet wet in professional basketball.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Detroit game planned Green in a fairly meaningless Summer League game? I am guessing that the Pistons were trying to keep Cade from having his fee-fees hurt?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I was really impressed with Green's postgame interview - he sounded like someone who has been a pro for 10 years. Kid has the right attitude and I am confident he will grow in the right direction. The right combo of humility, hunger, and confidence.

King1 and jcmoon like this.
  14. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

You know Cade is 19 also right?

saleem likes this.
  15. hansgee

hansgee Contributing Member

Detroit got Lebron/Magic, we got Jordan.
    Both win/win lets enjoy the show.

jcmoon likes this.
  16. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

Comments like these are so toxic and offer no insight

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I thought he was older...then I am more impressed with cade but still think green has a higher ceiling as a scorer

18. Rockets4Life13

His shot is better than expected, he swishes every open look. He needs a lot of work on his handles tho. They don't look all that refined.
    Ideally, he adjusts his shooting form at some time to get rid of the chicken wing but if he can consistently get his shot off in the NBA and he shoots well, it's not mandatory.

Sengun has impressed me more than i could've imagined and that's coming from someone who wanted the Rockets to trade up to #7 and get him there. I couldn't believe he fell to #16.
    The only thing he is not as good as expected is his finishing inside. He missed some easy ones. I can take that tho since his defense is miles above what i expected.

saleem likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Green is 2 and Cade is a 1. Comparing them directly (is what we do ;) ) isn't fair for either.

With 10 seconds on the clock, I would want Cade to be running the play and Green taking & making the game winning shot.

The Rockets have looked impressive in the SL. I suspect Sengun, Green and KMJ having pro experience has helped. They know how to fill up a stat sheet, especially +/-.

macho GRANDE and cmlmel77 like this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

If the biggest challenges to Greens game are that he isn’t good at the things that we will rely on his backcourt partner to do (primary ball handler and play maker), that’s pretty darn promising. Especially early in his career, Green will be a traditional SG - receive the ball every other possession with the defense already in flux and 10-15 seconds on the clock and asked to score. KPJ will be the one running PnR, setting up Sengun, bringing it upcourt, etc. And Tate or Garuba will be guarding the better opposing 2/3.

Obviously the more Green can do those things or be a secondary creator, the better. But it isn’t necessary from day 1 for him to be extremely impactful.

DrNuegebauer, saleem, King1 and 2 others like this.