1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. DonatelloLimestone

I still don't get that its a "fact" we got KPJ and green because stone traded away allen and levert. Especailyl the KPJ.
    You do realize the bottom 3 all have the same percentage. We got lucky, because we needed to get lucky, and the nba made that system so tanking is not as predictable.

And if itsa fact taht we ttraded allen and we knew KPJ was going to throw food at his gm and make it untenable? really? cmon. We got lucky, it worked out good we have a direciton now and young players to look forward to, but I just don't agree with any of those premises as 'fact' what so ever

burlesk likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You are assuming that they didn't gauge what Simmons would net by being redirected immediately, just like Allen was. How are you concluding flipping him = the Nets package? All of their picks had protections. Show us the path to unprotected picks and swaps until 2027.

3. DonatelloLimestone

I agree that its not worht losing sleep over. I still think we could've gotten better return, but like you said its a lot of moving pieces in that case. I still think people are shutting the door on simmons as a player too early on a team not right ofr him at 25, but for rockets im 100 fine with it. its just offseason talk after a year where we hardly had an real basketball games to watch in houston. I'm happy moving on and pretty much like our team 1-7 and excited to see silas give it a go with a training camp. I think they will be surprsiing at the same time I think the next year pick will be the catapult to finish our foundation

burlesk and ChillyPete32 like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Fact is what happened. You dont agree or disagree with a fact, its just reality.

FACT is trading Levert and Allen got us KPJ and Green. That is undeniable you cant disagree eith that lol are you a reality denier????

What do you mean especially KPJ? KpJ threw food because Allen and Taurean Prince got his locker. That's a FACT.

Maybe yhere would be other ways to get KPJ but thats not a fact, thats just an opinion. What is a FACT is KPJ threw food and got traded to the Rox because Taurean Prince and Allen took his locker.

Its on the news documented everywhere just google it.

Dude stop denying reality.

raining threes likes this.
  5. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I agree we can’t write off Simmons. This trade would never happen but in terms of value, before the draft I would have traded something like 23, the Pistons pick and maybe another future top 16 protected pick for him (this ignores salary matching, etc). I don’t really want him as much now with how our roster is set up, though.

#1525 ChillyPete32, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    burlesk likes this.
  6. jb86

jb86 Member

If Ben Simmons was here, what position would you him in? 3,4, or 5?

7. JW86

JW86 Member

roslolian likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

did you just answer your own question? lol

lol nevermind my old man eyes deceived me.

burlesk, roslolian and Chamillionaire like this.
  9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I would have liked trying him as a 4/5 with Wood, but also bringing the ball up some with Green, KPJ and another shooter (Brooks?). No interest in that now with Sengun and Garuba though.

10. steddinotayto

If you've followed Simmons' career you know he would never play the 4 or 5 full time. If he did then the Sixers wouldn't have this big problem on their hands. Simmons wants to play and only play the 1.

roslolian and YOLO like this.
  11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I agree he probably doesn’t want to do it and you’d have to get him to buy in and he doesn’t seem like a guy who really buys in to improve/help. I don’t think it would fix the Sixers problem, though. An Embiid-Simmons front court could still have issues. He’d have been an interesting front court partner with Wood, though.

13. steddinotayto

Simmons at the 4 would, theoretically, position him to be closer to the paint where he wouldn't have the stress/responsibility to shoot and can rely more on his height/quickness to get easy baskets. Embiid wants to operate in the post but he has to extend his game out to the 3 right now as a way to mask Simmons' deficiency from the perimeter on the offensive side. You put Ben down low starting at the elbow (thereby removing the ball handling duties from him) the defense would be less prone to sag off of him.

Of course, like you said, this is all about having to buy in to changing/adjusting his game, which he hasn't shown the propensity to do.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, Morey left Houston like a b**** attempting to avoid the drama that was going to come with Harden's trade request and now he is having to deal with it one year later with a shittier asset that Doc Rivers and Morey made sure to depreciate themselves. Now asset is working on his devaluation by having his agent put out these messages.

Best trade for everybody:

Sixers Receives
    John Wall/4 FRPs from Pelicans stash

Houston Receives
    Cap Relief plus some throw in.

Pelicans Receives
    Ben Simmons

burlesk and csnerd84 like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think this is all that surprising though. Simmons is yet another player like westbrick that is the opposite of a morey type player. This was going to happen sooner or later. it was only a matter of time. And add in his work ethic and selfish attitude is trash. It's just about what they want to settle for in a return now

raining threes and ElPigto like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree which is why I'm surprised that Morey tried to get cute when Harden was available for the taking. Instead he came in with a weak ass offer, when he should of came in with a strong ass offer from the get-go. Now he is stuck with a player that has a limited market due to fit and then he has another albatross contract in Harris's that won't be easy to move unless he attached assets to it.

burlesk and raining threes like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I never took negotiations between the 2 seriously. Regardless of all the rumors, at the end of the day, no way was Tilfart going to give harden to Morey imo

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey needs to stop acting like he has Embiid on the trade block…imagine asking for the sun, moon, and stars for Ben freaking Simmons

GM’s like

[​IMG]

20. raining threes

The 4.