1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleeping on Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Jul 6, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

this could very well be a fair assessment for a number of guys that went in the top 5. I can get behind this where you don't have to bring another player down just to make a case for the other

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I've said this multiple times. We couldn't have gone wrong with any of the top 4 or 5 picks. Suggs mobley cade green all of them will be great ball players. Now let's see who ends up the best of them all. Suggs will be awesome but we didn't need him.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Two on one fast break tied game at the end of regulation and Suggs stops it with the huge block. Embodies what he’s about, just makes winning plays.

hakeem94, GotGame15, Nook and 7 others like this.
  4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He looks good and shot looks improved but level of difficulty on shots was basically all wide open. Defenders aren’t respecting him near as much as they do Jalen Green. Will be interesting to see how he does when going against good defenders.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Lots of positives tonight for Suggs in his first game He looked like a high level effort guy to me. Defense, steals, blocks, deflections, rebounds and he played really hard. He competed. You can tell he has a chip on his shoulder and his football player mentality was on full display. High intangibles guy.

As far as offensively there was some good and bad. I liked his aggressiveness going to the basket and pushing the pace in transition. His finishing was kinda iffy, but he was not timid. Things I’d like to see from him over the next 3 games would be shooting less and facilitating more for others since he’s the PG. (1 assist) He called his own number a little too much and that’s probably not a strength for him just yet. His shot making was shaky at times, but no surprise there. He ended up making three 3 pointers which was big for him and he made 50% of his attempts on those, but 41% overall (9-22)

Overall I thought he looked good. Lots of positives. I wouldn’t have been disappointed if this was what he did in a debut wearing Rockets red.

#166 vator, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Wow Suggs does look good. the shot is wet and the defense.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Suggs didn’t have a particularly good game, missed a bunch of gimme layups like Sengun did, and inexplicably Cole Anthony was playing keep away from him instead of letting Suggs run the show. Despite that he still put up a monster line. Gonna need Green to keep making tough shots to keep up.

I will say about the two guys I thought were overrated predraft Cade and Green

Green was all about size, if he was ,closer to 6’3, and with a frame that can’t put on much strength, then despite being the athletic scorer I thought his defense would always hold him back from being an elite player. However since the draft it is clear that he’s a legit 6’5 (6’6 in shoes), which changes the calculus a lot on his development as a defender. Also as a Rockets fan I just want to believe.

Cade couldn’t get past college level white dudes that end up PE teachers, I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that now he can’t get past actual NBA prospects. Wait until he plays actual NBA players. And he’s now 2 inches shorter than expected? This was a case of preseason hype locking the team with the #1 pick and its fan base into a player, just like Wiggins (Canadian Kobe) in 2014. The moment after the lottery I said here that it was a blessing the Rockets dodged the 1st pick.

hakeem94, GotGame15, juanming and 2 others like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

watching Suggs and Green in their first game, what do you think about Green now?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

When you’re the worst team in the league, I’d say the rockets pretty much need everything so not sure where the we didn’t need him is coming from

Kingshadaine and groovemachine like this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

As I said, if he’s a legit 6’6, and can actually develop into an above avg defender, his upside is then way higher than Suggs. Suggs is a sure fire two way allstar. Green was boom or bust to me, but the boom part is a legit superstar, and at 6’6 you have to move the needle more towards boom. Its no surprise that Green can put up big numbers, as I said in another thread, in the gleague(which was a mess) they ran him off the ball and parked in a corner a lot because everyone was trying to showcase themselves. The Rockets will run the offense through him a lot more which means his numbers will go up and efficiency down.

So far Green, Suggs, Cade have all played up to my expectations of them, good and bad. Mobley was the one surprise, I had him #1 on my board. But I’m going to chalk it up to running into the Turkish Wall.(had him #4 on my board)

#171 CXbby, Aug 9, 2021
    hakeem94 and DreamShook like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jalen Sugg is a nice player and he wanted to score more points than Green because Green is getting all the hype but, Sugg scored 24 points in 4 quarters and overtime Mr. Green scored 23 points in 3 quarters. He did not score any points in the 4th quarter but WE all know he could if he wanted to. This guy can average 30 points a night in the SUMMER LEAGUE......he is on that level

13. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Was this an option?

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. vator

vator Contributing Member

Hot Take Alert! He should put a name on it. He said he doesn’t know who, but somebody will regret not drafting Suggs because he won’t be the 5th best player in this draft. Cade looked meh, but you can’t write off the CONSENSUS number 1 pick, Green balled, Mobley flashed potential, and Scottie Barnes looked really good yesterday too. Put a name on it! I’m not prepared to say which one of those guys I wouldn’t take over Suggs all over again if a redraft happened right now today.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro yall put so much stock into one Summer league game, chill. That goes for all the prospects Mobley, Green, Cade and Suggs. Too many guys in here like being the "I told you so" guy.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’ve made my preferences as far as order of top 4 well known. Don’t know about Vernon but I definitely don’t hide it. No reason to

hakeem94 and vator like this.
  17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Suggs was my #1, Green #2, Mobley #3, Cade #4 and was chastised by many on here. You can check my past posts. I'll gladly be wrong, and swap Suggs for Green though, lol. I'm just upset Suggs ended up in a black hole franchise like Orlando. Hopefully they move to Las Vegas in a few years, but I'm hearing the Grizzlies are the frontrunners as of now.

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It's only a summer league game, but Suggs was the one guy I struggled with passing up.

Green will still likely be the better player as a new Kobe type, but Suggs could be Kidd 2.0 as well. Both these guys have the mental strength to elavate thier games imo.

It was a nice draft for many teams.

#178 OkayAyeReloaded, Aug 9, 2021
    groovemachine, vator, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

naw, I want everyone good to be stuck in a black hole franchise if they aren't Rockets players, lol

20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

No doubt, but you definitely don't want your guys off to bad starts though. The sky isn't falling for Mobley or Cade, but so far so good for Green dontcha think?

HP3 and DreamShook like this.