1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Summer League Highlights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Aug 8, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah, I noticed he short armed many shots that had no chance of going in. That's got to be eliminated immediately and permanently. His stepback was wonderful. He can shoot the mid range shot, and a turn around jumper too! He will be able to finish at the basket as he gains physical strength. He had less assists because of poor finishing and shooting. I'm happy he hit the P/R near the end. It's evident he isn't just a scorer. His defensive effort was good.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - squaring up gives more range and consistency.
    It will stop him throwing the ball at the hoop and allow him to shoot it in.

Not an uncommon flaw for younger plays (akin to chest heaves for players working on strength)

saleem likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Important to note: we know as Rockets fans there are good turnovers (risks) and bad turnovers. People who go to the one 7+ times cannot have low turnover rates, but the resulting shots or passes are so valuable that it’s worth it.

Green needs to up his FTA and has leeway in his TO’s. That’s a great sign he can add the final piece to being a dominant scorer. Once he learns to pass out of double teams better, he is going to be a dominant offensive force. Let’s see if his defensive effort holds up when the grind kicks in.

D-rock likes this.
  5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Harden is nowhere near the same during the playoffs. If his game translated in the playoffs you would see him scoring 50 in big games & not going 2-12 from 3 in elimination games.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cade doesn't have the physical gifts that Tmac had. He was an athletic freak coming out of highschool.

I see him as a less athletic prime Paul George which is still really good.

Tfor3 and saleem like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Newsflash, almost EVERY player has a dip i the playoffs. This is kind of crap im talking about. His game does translate to the playoffs. We've been to 2 WCFs and have rarely lost in the first round while being outgunned pretty much every single time. Harden's last three post seasons have especially been elite. Stop saying this ignorant stuff. Just dont mention him please, yall cant be objective about him.

8. fchowd0311

Harden contributes a lot to winning but he has severe issues in late game situations in the playoffs. He's not the type of playoff scorer to rack up 10 pts in clutch time during the last few minutes of a close game. He often disappears in those situations.

And ya his ts% drop off is more than most of the top 10 players in the league from reg season to playoffs.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

This is what Im talking about. Why does clutch matter so much more than the whole damn game? And btw very player has disappeared in some elimination game or another. I can show you a bunch from even Lebron himself. Come off it.

He's also had the least amount of help as his contemporaries. Kawhi, Lebron, Curry, Durant all had super teams or multiple all star players on their team. Give me a break with this crap. Just stop mentioning him. You cant be objective about it. Why mention him at all? Just enjoy Green.

10. fchowd0311

IYes Lebron and other threats have had occasions of poor performance in clutch situations in the playoffs. Harden has done it more though and consistently and it's due to his sluggish feet in late game situations. Very easy for defenses to deny him the ball.

I can physically see the difference in body language and movement speed between Harden and the rest of those guys you mentioned.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden has not had a super team. Lebron Super team, Curry Super team, Durant super team, Kawhi either a superteam or a better team than Harden.

You could also physically see him be responsible for more offense than any of them sans Lebron. Why mention him dude, just be happy that Green is here. Lets just move on from Harden.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Why are you stuck on the Harden narrative? He isn't a Houston Rocket anymore.

amaru and HP3 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

I hardly bring him up. It's just relevant to this specific conversation.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Everyone who wanted Mobley over this kid...I'm never taking any of your basketball opinions seriously again.

Phillyrocket and StevieCrossover like this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Jalen Green has an incredibly refined offensive game at just 19, and he's got the step back game already.

You can only get to this skill level at such a young age with work ethic, and work ethic is the only way a player can become great. Exciting times ahead to see him learn and improve under NBA level trainers.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao yea you hardly bring him up. Yet when this dude brought up Harden you went the extra mile to talk about him. And you say stupid things about him every time. LET IT GO. He's gone. The bad man cant hurt you anymore. You dont have to give slanderous analysis on him whenever he is brought up Good god man.

IvanLCPM, saleem, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  17. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Because in the playoffs, games are won in the last 6 mins of the 4th quarter so yes clutch matters. Time and time again, when the game was on the line in playoffs, Hardens face was on the back of a milk carton. Look, Harden is a great player whose game has some flaws. His game relied on baiting refs and getting to the free throw line. That works in the regular season, but when the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter comes, it’s no secret in the NBA that the refs start calling playoff games different and become tight with the whistles. You need players who can go get buckets in those moments. This is what set the MJs, Kobe’s, LBJs, KDs, Dream, and other greats apart from just stars like Harden.

IvanLCPM and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

lol of course Chowd likes this post too sheesh

Then we should just play 6 minutes of basketball and be done with it lmao. Yea yea narrative speak. Typical not facts related argument. Every great player has flaws in their game. No, that's ignorant and not true, it is absolutely ridiculous to say his game relies on baiting the refs, he's led the league in scoring even without FTs. Yea yea man, I've heard all this stuff before, LMAO he said KD, whose only championships came when he joined a 73 win team. Dude listen, just stop mentioning Harden, he's not a Rocket anymore..

saleem likes this.
  19. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Look man, I been following this sport since the early 90s. Of course you have to play 48 minutes of the game. I do not disagree that great players aren’t perfect or sometimes have bad games. My point is you can look at stats all you want. But at the end of the day, stats don’t matter if your stat production player isnt able to get buckets when the game is on the line especially when the whistles go quiet or your role players go cold. That’s not something stats can clearly define. Go back look at games of great players like MJ or Kobe when they came through crunch time after struggling throughout the game. Maybe it isn’t fair to put KD in that category yet. But my point still stands about MJ, Kobe, Dream, other great champions that were stats and came through when the team needed them to show up. That’s what separates great players from good players. Clearly, if you don’t see that and want to rely on stats, then I don’t know what to tell ya.

It’s early to declare Green as that player, but I see potential if he can get buckets when the time buckets is needed.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If Cade becomes a Penny Hardaway type player that would be very fun for the league.

saleem, amaru and daywalker02 like this.