1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

ME: CDC, should I get poke if I already had Covid?

CDC: “Yes, you should be poked regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19.”

ME: Oh, okay, we don’t know how long natural immunity lasts. Got it. So, how long does poke-induced immunity last?

CDC: “There is still a lot we are learning about COVID-19 pokes and CDC is constantly reviewing evidence and updating guidance. We don’t know how long protection lasts for those who are poked.”

ME: Okay … but wait a second. I thought you said the reason I need the poke was because we don’t know how long my natural immunity lasts, but it seems like you’re saying we ALSO don’t know how long poke immunity lasts either. So, how exactly is the poke immunity better than my natural immunity?

CDC: …

ME: Uh … alright. But, haven’t there been a bunch of studies suggesting that natural immunity could last for years or decades?

CDC: Yes.

NEWYORKTIMES: “Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study.”

ME: Ah. So natural immunity might last longer than poke immunity?

CDC: Possibly. You never know.

ME: Okay. If I get the poke, does that mean I won’t get sick?

BRITAIN: Nope. We are just now entering a seasonal spike and about half of our infections and hospital admissions are poked people.

ME: CDC, is this true? Are there a lot of people in the U.S. catching Covid after getting the poke?

CDC: We stopped tracking breakthrough cases. We accept voluntary reports of breakthroughs but aren’t out there looking for them.

ME: Does that mean that if someone comes in the hospital with Covid, you don’t track them because they’ve been poked? You only track the UN-poked Covid cases?

CDC: That’s right.

ME: Oh, okay. Hmm. Well, if I can still get sick after I get the poke, how is it helping me?

CDC: We never said you wouldn’t get sick. We said it would reduce your chances of serious illness or death.

ME: Oh, sorry. Alright, exactly how much does it reduce my chance of serious illness or death.

CDC: We don’t know “exactly.”

ME: Oh. Then what’s your best estimate for how much risk reduction there is?

CDC: We don’t know, okay? Next question.

ME: Um, if I’m healthy and don’t want the poke, is there any reason I should get it?

CDC: Yes, for the collective.

ME: How does the collective benefit from me getting poked?

CDC: Because you could spread the virus to someone else who might get sick and die.

ME: Can a poked person spread the virus to someone else?

ME: So if I get poked, I could still spread the virus to someone else?

ME: But I thought you just said, the REASON I should get poked was to prevent me spreading the virus? How does that make sense if I can still catch Covid and spread it after getting the poke?

CDC: Never mind that. The other thing is, if you stay unpoked, there’s a chance the virus could possibly mutate into a strain that escapes the pokes protection, putting all poked people at risk.

ME: So the poke stops the virus from mutating?

CDC: No.

ME: So it can still mutate in poked people?

ME: This seems confusing. If the poke doesn’t stop mutations, and it doesn’t stop infections, then how does me getting poked help prevent a more deadly strain from evolving to escape the poke?

CDC: You aren’t listening, okay? The bottom line is: as long as you are unpoked, you pose a threat to poked people.

ME: But what KIND of threat??

CDC: The threat that they could get a serious case of Covid and possibly die.

ME: My brain hurts. Didn’t you JUST say that the poke doesn’t keep people from catching Covid, but prevents a serious case or dying? Now it seems like you’re saying poked people can still easily die from Covid even after they got the poke just by running into an unpoked person! Which is it??

CDC: That’s it, we’re hanging up now.

ME: Wait! I just want to make sure I understand all this. So, even if I ALREADY had Covid, I should STILL get poked, because we don’t know how long natural immunity lasts, and we also don’t know how long poke immunity lasts. And I should get the poke to keep a poked person from catching Covid from me, but even if I get the poke, I can give it to the poked person anyways. And, the other poked person can still easily catch a serious case of Covid from me and die. Do I have all that right?

ME: Um, hello? Is anyone there?
    This sums it up perfectly.

link

3. amaru

amaru Member

Covid 19 isn’t finished with us yet

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Mmm, don't buy it? Don't take it if someone offers it to you, and if they do, running screaming from the room, office, building, campus?
    An alternative would be to take the advice in my signature!
    :eek:

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I caught "bad ICU covid" and am already vaccinnated, you bet I'll ask for some pills based off some respected science journals.

Ofc, those same journos usually imply vaccination as the first resort. And they don't recommend the dosages to be based off horses and pigs...

But cons keep cherry pickin who they want to "love", who deserves to be "free", and who should live or die. They definitely love "the science"...when some random ass FB user tells to them? Muy Bueno

It's so unsurprising and routine, people just play along after rolling their eyes or cut that bafflng **** out as much as they can.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This is probably amusing…..to someone who can’t think beyond whole numbers. Pesky percentages take the fun out of it.

jchu14 likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 7.16.17 PM.png

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im waiting for the cartoon so I can understand his point easily. Im sure I'll find it all totally hilarious once you hit me over the head with it using as few confusing words as possible.

jchu14 and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meanwhile Nero plays the fiddle with his maskless white good ole boys while Texas burns.

Keep Texas Red huh? Red=Blood on your hands Greg Abbott. Red=Dead. Patriots my ass! More like selfish fools who don't give a damn who lives or dies.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vaccine may provide protection for up to 10 years. If your imaginary conversation is stopping you from getting poked by a needle, then it will be no wonder when you get poked with a respiratory later on.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ivermectin is currently in trial and not showing promising results.

Also the doctor who is pushing Ivermectin is a known investor in the company. The company itself by the way, did not fund the trial and isn't pushing it as a treatment. That should tell you a lot about how confident they feel about it for COVID.

Other studies don't show much either: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777389

I don't know how that article got published on sciencedirect - but a few things to note. Just because a drug wins a nobel prize to treat parasitic infections doesn't mean it should be assume to be effective against a completely different animal - viruses. The abstract reads like the person who wrote it has an objective.

#7412 Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

You should stick to memes and that’s saying a lot. You are the human regurgitation of a human centipede. Ass to mouth. Mouth to ass.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

From Bloomberg:

Prognosis
    U.S. City With 2.4 Million Population Has Just Six ICU Beds Left
    By
    Linus Chua
    August 7, 2021, 11:56 PM CDT
    • City’s medical head asks residents to help avoid ‘catastrophe’
    • Texas capital’s risk level raised to highest level this week
    With ICU beds down to a single digit, Austin sounded the alarm Saturday, using its emergency alert system to let residents in the Texas capital city know that the local state of the pandemic is “dire.”

The Austin area -- with a population of almost 2.4 million people -- has just six intensive-care unit beds left, state health data show. A total of 313 ventilators are available.

“The situation is critical,” Public Health Medical Director Desmar Walkes said in a statement Saturday, warning of a “catastrophe” as it sent the notification to residents at noon through text messages, emails and phone calls. “Our hospitals are severely stressed and there is little we can do to alleviate their burden with the surging cases.”

The warning came just two days after the city’s health department bumped up its risk level to its highest at stage 5 due to the highly contagious delta variant, pushing residents to get vaccinated, stay home and mask up even if they have had their shots.

The risk level was raised after the seven-day moving average for new hospital admissions increased more than 600% in the past month, while patients in intensive-care units jumped 570%. Covid patients on ventilators surged to 102 as of Saturday from just eight on July 4, the health department said. More may follow as cases in the Austin area increased 10 times.

“Hospital bed availability and critical care is extremely limited in our hospital systems,” Walkes said, rallying residents to help “stave off disaster.”

The jump in cases is also seen nationwide. New infections in the U.S. have rebounded to more than 100,000 a day on average, returning to levels of the winter surge six months ago. Weekly cases on Friday passed 750,000, the most since early February, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University and Bloomberg.

Read: U.S. Covid Cases Reach Six-Month High Even as Vaccinations Rise

Cases are rising even as the U.S. pace of vaccination started to tick up after months of decline. Daily average deaths more than doubled in the past month, even while remaining far below the levels of last winter, with health-care experts warning that the pace of new infections could trigger deadlier mutations.

He also singled out Texas, along with Florida, as the two states that are “are accounting for a very disproportionately high proportion -- something like 40% of the infections.”

Read: Florida Daily Covid Cases Hit Record, Becomes U.S. Epicenter

Texas, with a population of about 29 million, has 439 ICU beds available -- and 6,991 ventilators. The Houston area, with a population of 6.7 million, has just 41 ICU beds remaining. The greater Dallas area, which has more than 8 million people, has 110 ICU beds available.

The number of infections surged by 23,096 in Texas on Friday, the most since February, and 11,072 more cases were added on Saturday -- often a reduced number due to fewer tests processed on weekends.

— With assistance by Ian Fisher, and Madison Mills

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-booster-shots-may-go-soon-to-most-vulnerable

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

If you get sick, whom do you consult to get better?
    What do they advise re: vaccination?

EXACTLY! Unless you want to put your money where your mouth is :D

16. NewRoxFan

At what point is it criminal?

AleksandarN and B-Bob like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I saw somewhere later yesterday that the article got pulled, I'll try to see if I can find that again and will post it

18. NewRoxFan

19. NewRoxFan

My mother-in-law (who came here from Guatemala and is a full-bore trumpster) was regurgitating this myth last night...

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member