1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we sign Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Aug 8, 2021.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

B-

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

Hes a vet, can help in practice. As mentieond these rookies are going to have an adjustment this year and having 4 bigs rotating for 48 minutes, let alone injuries, this is not a bad deal at all. Thies is in an under mid level deal. 4 years is not optimal and i don't know who we were bidding against, but this move won't make an issue, won't hinder us. hes a solid role player, cheap contract, tradeable. total non issues for me here.

Rocket_ph likes this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

lol adam morrison averaged 20 his last year in the summer league. But the fans were not clamoring to clear way for him to start.

summer leagues a quite a few noches below in talent of the nba.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Every pick of ours is 19 years old, Theis will not hamper anyone's development. It's important to have some veteran locker room presence. You're going to love him on this team, he's going to fit right in with this group.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is Thies a good idea?

Nook, Heartdoc, msn and 2 others like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I wouldn't have done it, and I am not really sure what the reasoning is.

But this looks like a pretty tradeable contract and Theis is fairly average.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'll take it

D-rock and sirjesse like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I tend to think they projected his value with a larger role with more playing time to give him a bit more value around the league which should make him a trade able player.

For the immediate they probably saw that without someone like him on the inside, it could put too much wear and tear on the young perimeter players seeing as they’d be in the paint rebounding and guarding grown men too much. I think Stone wants to make like easier on guys like Green and KPJ.

There’s also fear I’m sure of Wood getting injured if he’s guarding 5’s on a nightly basis. Without Olynyk coming back I think they had to do it. Interesting they didn’t go for Olynyk in the first place though. Why they think Theis is a better fit I dunno but i guess we’ll find out.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Tradable contract, veteran leadership, ease the guys into it. You don’t want to throw a bunch of 19 year olds out there against grown men. And they need to earn their minutes in practice.

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

You are going to go far at the Fertitta-McNair school of management.

upload_2021-8-8_20-36-43.gif

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

He’s the next Hakeem

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you thought Sengun looked good then you should appreciate Theis since he is the kind of player that exactly covers for all of Sengun’s weaknesses. Theis is the perfect pairing with Sengun.

jcmoon and hakeem94 like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I forgot about Wood.

This would make more sense if we traded Wood.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Fun fact: NBA rules allow for substitutions. I know our previous head coach was not fully aware of this rule, but most other coaches are....

I'm neutral on this deal. The big man market has been bonkers last couple of years. Teams that did Theis-like deals last year had major regrets and had to pay with assets to get out of them: plumlee, Favors,Tristan etc

This year we had some deals that exceeded the Theiss deal and may turn out to be mistakes: Richuan Holmes, Noel, Jarett Allen

OTOH there are deals for proven vets that seem better values than Theis: Zeller, Drummond, Javale...

Weird market...

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

a few less shots and a less usage percentage. but serviceable on defense so he doesn't get run off the floor. seems pretty simple to me letting the rookies play as much as you want and this guy gets in the way less.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think it makes more sense with Wood. Wood would be injured 5 games in if he was being relied on for the bulk of the interior defense and boards. Although you want Wood as your 5 on offense to get him involved on defense it’s a recipe for injury.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. VoR

VoR Member

Y’all just wait until Sengun is playing against vets.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. bongman

bongman Member

I hope he makes the aTheis here become believers

burlesk likes this.
  19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

We are all waiting

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

you need 4 bigs for managing minutes and matchups. You need 4 to cover for injuries.

You need 4 bigs to practice. If you want the kids to grow they need to practice against real NBA players.

And I actually think Theis will start most all of this season

Dobbizzle, burlesk and D-rock like this.