1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

It basically is a 2 year deal. Year 4 is team option, so by year 3 trade deadline, you have an expiring contract to trade. Let's be honest, we're more likely to trade for a star than sign one. An expiring contract will be an asset. We needed a contract in the middle, right now all we have is a 20 million a year, a 40 million a year and rookie contracts. This opens the door for a lot more deals where Rockets don't overpay by trading 4 guys on rookie contracts for a 15 million dollar a year player.

#421 withmustard, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  2. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

saw a few people saying this but is it actually true? It doesn’t show that he liked it at least on my end, I might of missed something.

has he done this to other posts?

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I haven't seen it either but the Rockets took a good bench player from OKC and made him a superstar top player in the league. We treated him like a king - maybe too much so. And we tried to get him a ring but when things didn't work out, we traded him per his request to his most requested team to give him that chance. I don't think he as any ill will to the Rockets.

4. anchel

anchel Member

Crafty and wise signing. This is a guy who helps you at winning. You need to stay in the games if you want your youngsters to progress with good habits. Blowouts mean normalization of terrible habits. Thats why you also need your Nwabas and Theis at a rebuilding. Will help youngsters shine from the shadow.

Alternative is being too young, dumb, soft and bad. Yet your KPJ will make his insignificant 20-10, but you're going absolutely nowhere.

D-rock, charlieaustin, saleem and 4 others like this.
  5. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

With the salary cap continually increasing, this contract will be a bargain by the time Theis enters his 4th contract year. If he doesn't perform well, he's easily tradeable in a year or two due to the 3+1 team option nature of the deal.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  6. riko

riko Member

Big guy who can set some mean screens to open up space for Green, Porter and Gordon if he is still around. He is also a nice high screen lob passer who worked well with Vucevic in Chicago so he will work well with C Wood. Can hit the occasional three ball as well.

D-rock likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

This is a meh for me. I'm not pissed because the team isn't good enough to warrant that level of emotion.

I'll side with the "Theis isn't a good basketball player" group. Undersized center (god damnit) and limited offense. 4 years 8 mil a year?! That's basically starter money for a guy who's best apparent quality is setting picks... is there something I'm missing? Wood and Sengun are not fleet of foot, offensively gifted or no IMO the modern NBA requires athleticism and a particularly unique blend of it at forward positions. They are 5s by my view of things. Can Theis be a better shooter to even provide the spacing they need to play him and one of Wood/Sengun? Trying to explain his contract in terms of trades 2-3 years from now sounds a bit desperate to validate the contract too. The team is just not in the driver's seat as long as Wall's contract is weighing down the cap, Gordon's isn't great either but at least they can deal with it. This just seems like adding another problem contract to the book.

I mean...is the starting 5 really going to be Wall-Gordon-House-Wood-Theis?

Meh.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Is this correct? How can his 4 Yr 36 M contract fit within the Oladipo TPE?
    @Corrosion

ApacheWarrior and sirjesse like this.
  10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

The front office knows what they are doing with bringing in Theis. That’s why they made this deal so quickly. This guy can play, he will be that guy that makes the little plays. He gives you something on both ends of the floor. He is not an all star but he is that guy that can play with your stars. So let the season get going before you rush to judgement and say it’s he isn’t a good player and it’s a bad deal. I think he will be good in Silas’ system.

We will just have to be patient with Wall for now, hard to move him with two years left on that deal. We not trying to contend right now so we got time to make a great deal with that money.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Structure, probably 1st year at 8 million and then gradually increases each year (9 million something on average).

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Olidapo trade exception is $8,180,351.

So long as Theis first year salary is less than that plus $100,000 ($8,280,351) .... the numbers work.

D-rock, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  13. saleem

Thanks. That's very nice. Do you think that there's any player available that the 9.5 M NT-MLE should be offered to?

Corrosion likes this.
  14. saleem

Thanks.

15. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2021-8-8_9-1-47.gif

Rashmon, Corrosion, BamBam and 3 others like this.
  16. saleem

Corrosion and sirjesse like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean, let the season get going before you rush to the judgment that 'he can play'. His career averages are unimpressive and almost certainly not worth 8m/4y if they were to continue. Dirty work guys are fine. This is the same contract they gave PJ Tucker, an ironman, an elite defender and corner 3 point shooter who fit the team like a glove...while they were contending. I know I'm asking a lot of rhetorical questions, of course we have to see how it plays out but on paper this seems like a bad fit and an overpay. Honestly, name a reason to believe this is a good signing. Setting good picks isn't it.

18. hakeemthagreat

Bitter? No just understand reality. He got on a podium and said his teammates aren't good enough and he basically doesn't want to play here. What part of that did you misinterpret?

Corrosion likes this.
  19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fix your shitty graphics (and stop blocking out the number with shitty diagonals)!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ben Frank, D-rock, clos4life and 2 others like this.