1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arm Taiwan as much as possible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Aug 6, 2021.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

#1 dachuda86, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Gioan Baotixita and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The D&D doesn't know of Taiwan or Hong Kong bro
    [​IMG]

3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I hear Taliban is doing great these days?

4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So how much should be sold to Taiwan?

Enough to defend itself against an attack from mother China? Oh wait, Taiwan will never have enough to do that, unless you’re talking about nukes. Wait, are you walking about selling Taiwan nukes? Well, probably not, I think.

Hmm, so it’s odd then. What is the purpose of selling arms to Taiwan? Could it be essentially symbolic? Do we need to sell more symbolically? How much is enough symbolism? Enough to provoke a military response from China?

Are you suggesting we should insert ourselves into the “One China” problem between China and Taiwan? Please do tell.

adoo likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you read the article you linked? It sounds like Taiwan is very appreciative of this sale and that this is an ongoing commitment.

Taiwan thanks US as arms approved
    FIRST FROM BIDEN: The package demonstrates the US government’s high regard for Taiwan’s defense capabilities, the Presidential Office said, while Beijing fumed
    • By Su Yung-yao, Wu Su-wei and Kayleigh Madjar / Staff reporters, with staff writer
    The Presidential Office yesterday thanked Washington after the US Department of State approved the sale of 40 Paladin M109A6 self-propelled howitzers and related equipment to Taiwan, the first such deal since US President Joe Biden took office in January.

With the sale, the US is honoring its commitment to furnish Taiwan with defensive articles under the US’ Taiwan Relations Act and the “six assurances,” Presidential Office spokesperson Xavier Chang (張惇涵) said while expressing the government’s “sincere gratitude” for the deal.

The US Department of Defense’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency said in a statement that it notified Congress on Wednesday of the US$750 million deal.

In addition to logistical support, the package includes 40 155mm M109A6 medium self-propelled howitzer systems; 20 M992A2 field artillery ammunition support vehicles; an advanced field artillery tactical data system; five M88A2 Hercules vehicles; five M2 Chrysler mount .50 caliber machine guns; and 1,698 multi-option precision guidance kits, the agency said.

The sale would “contribute to the modernization of the recipient’s self-propelled howitzer fleet, enhancing its ability to meet current and future threats ... while further enhancing interoperability with the United States and other allies,” it said.

The package marks the first US arms sale to Taiwan under the Biden administration, “fully demonstrating the US government’s high regard for Taiwan’s defense capabilities,” Chang said.

Washington’s provision of defensive arms helps boost Taiwan’s self-defense capabilities, thereby improving the nation’s ability and confidence to preserve regional and cross-strait peace, he said.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday confirmed receipt of official notice from Washington about the package.

The US has continued its policy of normalizing arms sales to Taiwan in recent years, helping the nation to acquire defensive equipment in a timely manner, the ministry said.

Despite Chinese aggression, Taiwan would continue to improve its defensive capabilities to safeguard the lives and property of Taiwanese, and their democratic way of life, it said.

Through close cooperation with the US, the nation would maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait and keep contributing to the long-term peace, stability and prosperity of the Indo-Pacific region, it said.

The package is likely to be formally confirmed by Congress after a month, the Ministry of National Defense said in a statement, thanking Washington for the agreement that would help “enhance the rapid response and fire support capabilities of our ground forces.”

Separately, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it has lodged stern representations with the US while promising to take appropriate countermeasures.

The agreement interferes in internal Chinese affairs and “sends a wrong message to Taiwan independence secessionist forces” in contravention of international law and norms, it said.

The Chinese ministry also urged Washington to abide by the “one China” principle and the Three Joint Communiques, and to immediately cease all military cooperation with Taiwan to “avoid further damaging China-US relations, and peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait.”

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's simply not true. Why do you make these blanket statements? You do it all the time. I've been to Hong Kong and know a great deal about Taiwan. I'm far from the only one that posts down here, as well as posting in several other forums.

Blatz, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

China will not invade Taiwan. If they do, Japan would get involved. China attacking Japan would automatically bring the US into the conflict. China does not want a direct conflict with the US.

8. Rileydog

@dachuda86 ‘s only reason for posting this stupidity is to mindlessly criticize Biden. You won’t be receiving an intelligent response to your post or mine above.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

BUT WHY ISNT DOING MORE???!!!

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The D&D makes more blanket statements than Linus and great pumpkin

so why not ?

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just give me my damn frisbee back and we will be square

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’ve been to both as well. Taiwan once and Hong Kong 3 times now. I had probably one of the best 5 meals I’ve ever eaten there. Soooo good

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have also come to the conclusion that Tinman has a mental illness of some kind. I am annoyed by his posts generally but I don’t dislike the guy.

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't think that about @tinman at all. I think this is a game he likes to play that goes across the forums on the BBS. Sort of a vastly different Trader_ J, who does the same thing. A persona.

I wish I had visited Taiwan in the past. From what I've read, it's really an exceptional country. I seriously doubt I'll ever make now, however. I'll never return to Hong Kong after what Xi has done to the city. If I visit that part of Asia again, I would probably go to Japan. Parts of it are amazingly beautiful. With the pandemic, we'll be lucky to make it to Europe anytime soon. It's very frustrating. We had plans to go there last year and you know how that turned out, for everyone. :-(

Blatz likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I went to Costa Rica this summer. I was nervous as hell waiting for my Covid to come back so I could get back into the US.

I was trying to go to Japan but that will be next summer. Along with Malaysia which I have never been to. I’ve only been to Tokyo before any other suggestions on where to go that you enjoyed??

16. Rileydog

taiwan is great. Best to visit in winder or fall months because it gets pretty dang hot and humid like Houston. Taipei is worth it for the food scene alone. Bitou cape is gorgeous. Hualien is two to three days of beauty. I haven’t seen the south but hear it’s great.

rocketsjudoka and Deckard like this.
  17. Rileydog

In my one trip to Japan, we visited Osaka, kyoto and Tokyo. Tokyo was a distant distant third. It is basically NYC or London. You find so much more of old or classic Japan in Kyoto. I’m eager to go back to see Japan countryside, Nara and other areas.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The countryside can be incredible. Surrealistic. I went there in the 1960's and there are areas that look like they were sculpted by magicians over hundreds of years, and likely were. Agree with Tokyo.

Interestingly enough, our daughter became a fan of Manga graphic novels when she was of middle school age and decided she wanted to read it in Japanese. So we were talked into buying her the Rosetta Stone language course in the language and to our surprise (thinking the interest wouldn't last), she inhaled it. Delved into different sources on the internet and took it as her language in college. We're hoping we can travel there with her someday. She's 30 now and a lead software developer. Interesting how life can turn out.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Hopefully when COVID-19 is over if you can you should visit Taiwan. It is a very interesting country. Many don't realize that it's mountainous with a spine of mountains that divides the island. As such there are many interesting environments ranging from tropical beaches to rainforest to even alpine climates.

Taipei is huge but it's a fun city. There is a great food scene and great culture also relatively easy to get around even if you don't know any Mandarin.

I'm still planning on going back to HK when things open up. That said I think HK is never going to be the same again. It will still remain a vibrant city with a great food scene but with the new security law I don't think the open culture of HK exists anymore.

Roomba and Deckard like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I still highly doubt the PRC will invade Taiwan. You're right that an actual invasion will end up drawing the US in and the PRC knows it doesn't have the capability to win even a limited war against the US not on the PRC mainland. Leaving aside that both countries can turn the world into a cinder.

The bigger reason I see is that such a conflict would be devastating to the PRC and World economy. The PRC likes to say that their people can "
    吃苦" (Eat bitterness), that is that they can handle hardship and privation better than other peoples. So in a war they would be willing to put up with poverty and even starvation for the good of the country. That's nice propaganda but I doubt the Politbureau actually believes that. Most people in the PRC haven't grown up with starvation and hardship. The current PRC citizen has plenty of food, clothes and likes social media and video games as much as Taiwanese, Japanese or American. It's unlikely they are going to eat bitterness for a war to take Taiwan.