1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

[NBCSports] Ben Simmons reportedly wants to avoid playing for Trail Blazers or Raptors due to “being the young socialite that he is”
    [​IMG]
    In a radio segment with 95.7 The Game in Philadelphia, Jason Dumas of Bleacher Report said the relationship between the Sixers and Simmons is "beyond repair" but the Klutch client does not want to go to Portland.

"He doesn't want to go to a bad situation," said Dumas. "He's reading the tea leaves. He sees Toronto, he sees Portland and then, being frank being the young socialite that he is, he's not looking to go to any of those situations. He's looking to go to the California teams."

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest...-reportedly-wants-avoid-playing-trail-blazers

foh likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is he saying that Portland and Toronto are too ghetto for him? I don't get it. I guess I'm not a young socialite. LOL.

One thing is pretty clear. Basketball is just a means for him to live a rich life.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's been pretty evident the past few years--he DGAF about getting better or winning in the NBA. Whoever trades for him will have to deal with his bullsh*t until that contract runs out.

Easy likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey is doing a great job doing it by himself.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In 5 years this team would very likely be better if it kept wall than having Simmons. There are few scenarios playing out that would reverse that.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Good to see this guy has taken all this criticism to heart, and has figured out his priorities.....

TimDuncanDonaut, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

What in the world…is socialite even a word?! Sounds elitist, what a dick! Toronto is awesome :)

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

socialite sō′shə-līt″
    n. One prominent in fashionable society.
    n. a person (more often a woman) of social prominence, considered to be an influential figure
    n. a person who goes to fashionable parties and is often written about in the newspapers, etc.

As @Easy said, “Basketball is just a means for him to live a rich life.”

He is who he is. Some may be OK with that and will take the chance trading for him. Others maybe not so much. (He is who he is = that’s a really damn good player I’d love to have!” ; He is who he is = “Nice guy, not worth trading the farm for & $31M-$33M-$36M-$38M salaries the next 4 years.”)

#1408 J.R., Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    D-rock and Easy like this.
  9. Fyreball

I know you've always had a bone to pick with Morey, but I honestly fail to see how any of Philly's situation is his fault. He didn't ask Ben to prioritize partying over basketball. He didn't ask Joel and Doc to throw Ben under the bus the very first second they got an opportunity to do so. The Sixers are a terrible organization, but Morey only inherited that....he didn't cause it.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's his fault for not going all-in on Harden, and getting outbid by a conference rival. A top 10 player is on the move. Every GM for a title contender in the East failed by letting him get to BRK.

King1 and cheke64 like this.
  11. Fyreball

Do we know for a fact that he blew the Harden trade, or was it Tilman that refused to deal him to Philly?? If Tyrese Maxey was the hold-up on a deal, then I agree with you. But something tells me there's a lot more to it than that.

D-rock likes this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

What a b****. Thankfully he isn't our problem

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. foh

foh Member

hah, that's Paul Rich dissing the likely destination's fan bases and diminishing Simpson's value all at the same time, so that Morey has no choice but to send Paul's client to the 'right' team.
    It's the players' movement's take on the Morey's whole "It's just business" GM style.

It's hard to suck up to two people at once and it's hard to get good value on franchise player without their buy-in. DM has been on the receiving end of that fact lately.

That's probably why he didn't want to give up the bank for Harden when he had the chance. Two unprofessional selfish divas that are not in-sync on the same team is unstable and unlikely to work for more than one season. Rockets have been a great case study for that ever since Harden came onto the scene here.

#1413 foh, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

we know for sure Tyrese Maxey was being deemed untouchable during negotiations, and according to Shams, Morey’s offer was Simmons, Thybulle, and picks

maybe Tilman was never gonna send Harden to Philly no matter what was offered, but Morey didn’t even put his best offer out there to find out…BK went all in, and Morey was busy haggling over picks and not wanting to include Maxey

he should’ve offered every young player and pick he had available plus have assets from different 3rd teams lined up for Simmons if we didn’t want to take him ourselves

ElPigto and Easy like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

In other words, he thinks in Portland nor Toronto he can be the big shot celebrity he thinks he is due to a lack of fashionable parties, he won’t be written about as much as in other places? Wow…biggest diva in the league, I already thought Fred VanVleet - given the trade package tumours - was better considering everything and now even more. Good luck Morey!

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Player empowerment" has ruined the NBA

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the agents also have too much power. They are the power brokers behind the scene. GMs have to bend over backward to keep them happy or they'll steer their clients to other places.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What a ****ing douche

King1 and D-rock like this.
  20. DonatelloLimestone

You can flip simmons too. Wall is not more tradeable than him, Daryl morey just simply wants way too much for simmons

@D-rock was right. this hyperbole is getting absurd, but it happens every season to whoever choked or sucked that year. Giannis choking in his free throws his mvp year in the semi finals. Chris Paul over here, harden numerous times...its like back in levbron's cleveland or miami days espon sitting here talking about how hes not clutch, shies away from the big moment...imagine that argument now.

To the guys saying Ben Simmons has no interest in the game and not improving, I'd recommend you look at his defense. If he didn't love it, he wouldn't focus on probably the least reward in terms of public eye the part of the game and hes become an absolute unique disrupter in the perimter, paint, all over the court. His offense is disappointing, but you can tell her still puts in the work and is a gamer. Defense takes that grit, drive, talent to stop and its often not as celerbated. peculiar choice for a young 'socialite'

And that word, was litealrly just made up by a reporter as he tried to describe his mindset, its not indicated any place that this is what ben simmons feels said or conveyed...but lets face it this is our male soap opera so we lap up the drama especialyl in the offseason.

No doubt his trade value is at its lowest point, yet hes still tradeable especialyl easier than wall. IF we had him we cuold trade him for more than wall.

How do I want simmons as a wing? I'm saying if you made a team for him you gie him a 4 out offense, hell give him space and mike dantoni and hes already put up 17-9-8 you up the useage and a team style built for him how can you not imagine him 20-10-9 or something with 60 percent shooting.

He could also be in a draymond green high post situation with shooters while he does so so much more as he is a pure pg too.

Faried and wiigings haven't sniffed the consistent production simmons has had, let alone getting far in the playoffs. I agree that hes had a mental block and htey'd be looking at finals appearances i he could shoot, but inspite of all that hes still a talent, still a unique talent enough people will want him, and john wall is literlly before or after the highest paid this year after lebron....hes a high useage, low efficient player, a bad shooter who lieks to shoot a lot, and a delusional pg who wants to take over. I don't hate him, in fact his energy was surprsiing last year. but he is easily the worst contract in the league and we could try to get him for one 2nd round protected pick, what we traded for james ennis and people wouldn't bite. Simmons you can get easy for 1-2 first round picks, Daryl has just lost his mind.

D-rock likes this.