1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Doesn't the dude have like $100M left on his contract? Anyone actually think Tilman is going to want to pay any amount Wall would agree to for a buyout? (At least I'm pretty sure buyouts are negotiable, but not positive... either way, Tilman ain' payin)

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You only worry about that though for about 45 games.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Doesn't matter his position on offense - if he can guard other 2 guards and SFs....we can stop being a short team.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  4. PWR

PWR Member

We need a backup pg for KPJ. Wall fits that role if Silas has the nuts to make him do it. I wouldn't buy him out. Accept the role of the 6th man, find yourself a trade partner, or sit at home. Same would go for EG. KPJ and Green are my starters and they should get 30+ minutes per game. Get in where you fit in.

txppratt, Denovo, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS, and until that time next year, just sit him for the season, i dont think the boneheaded guys like him could be reasoned/talked into playing teamball in limited minutes off the bench

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

How is Wall's contract going to be valuable as even an expiring? Dipo was expiring, and look what he got us.

The only thing expiring contracts can be good for is when a disgruntled [but legit] superstar is looking to be traded to a better situation, and his current team is ready to gamble on the FA market the coming off-season. Is there likely to be any such situation in the next year or so?

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

#Truth

Not sure if Wall can even play back to backs yet either.

8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Wall buyout is a ridiculous notion!

we have a multiple All-Star player who is only 31. His first season after a 2-year absence exceeded my expectations; it is reasonable to expect another major step up in his second season post-surgery. Having Wall contribute meaningfully next season will be great for the team, for the rebuild and for the young guys. Being in the running for the play-in equals to meaningful NBA games for our young talent to grow.

I am sold on KPJ, actually - with his combination of size, skills, athletism, court vision he may be one day the best PG in the NBA. However, I am yet to see this kid play with NBA-level discipline: playing defense, valuing possessions, running everything tight. What’s wrong about having KPJ play behind Wall and learning these things from a pro’s pro?

If KPJ fancies himself to be the next Harden, that’s great. But just to remind everyone, Harden was coming off-the-bench when he was KPJ’s age…

I don’t have a slightest idea of what a Wall buy-out would accomplish for this team?

Dacamel and tycoonchip like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 yeah you can perhaps flip him into something but you have more to lose then to get by playing him ... PT together and the chemistry for the young team is more precious than whatever you can possibly get for him if anything
    2 i suggested sitting him out for the season not benching and you can still get the assets for him bc hes an expiring next year
    3 if green needs easing into the league let dj augustine and other positive players do it why would you want the greatest cancer of all to do it? if anything john wall is exactly the influence you dont want around your future stars

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what, is he suddenly gonna learn how to throw a lob pass to Wood?
    lololololol
    yeah that injury must have been what was stopping him from throwing the lob to a player that is one of the easiest players in NBA to throw a lob to....

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What harm is there if Wall plays? You worried about losing games? At this point, that would be a good thing. Let the tank commander go out and do his tank commander thing and lead the Rockets to another top 4 pick.

The young guys will still get plenty of playing time and be better for it in future seasons.

Dacamel and theDude like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eww

13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

His on-court decision making is just abysmal. We lost 6 or 7 winnable games in the last 15 seconds because he literally threw the ball away or made very foolish last second actions. He is a high shooting volume / low efficiency player without stacking the roster. He has a chance to do well on another team with a different player makeup.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can Stone tear down Wall contract?

15. Jalen Green OnlyFan

this year I want to remain in the lottery. John wall being a tank commander is a good thing

as long as the young guys improve and develop

Dacamel likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

That's the thing. If you want them to improve on standing at the three point line and being spot up shooters, that's all that's going to improve with Wall on the court.

But I'm assuming you have bigger plans for Jalen Green and KPJ outside of being spot up shooters.

burlesk likes this.
  17. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I honestly believe Wall isn't that type of player. Last year he was in a really unique situation where he felt like he had to try to be the franchise player and put the team on his back. I don't get all the Houston hate of him. He's done nothing but try to be a good sport.

We had no talent so he was shooting all the time. He hasn't been like that most of his career.

mikenm268 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

I don't hate Wall. I just think he doesn't fit the goals and future of the Houston Rockets and is best served on another team.

Wall his whole career is a high usage ball dominant player.

jch1911 likes this.
  19. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I completely agree with this take. I really don’t understand the hate for Wall, unless people are just bitter he isn’t as good as Harden. Wall has spent his whole career pre-injury being a talented pass first PG. This is also a guy who demanded to play both sides of a B2B last year during the tail end of our 20 game losing streak b/c he knew how bad we needed a win and was willing to put himself at risk to try to help.

I’m certainly not Wall’s biggest fan, but I don’t get the ‘he’s selfish on the court’ take that seems to be so prevalent around here.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

Of course!!
    you can’t be serious to think that rationale for a buyout is that he doesn’t throw enough lobs!!
    It was a messy season with Harden and what not, Wood was injured for a long time, the Wall shut it down… The thing is that their game with Gortat was quite different, he would not throw it to Gortat. I fully expect him to develop a better connectivity with Wood, yes of course