1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Never said that.

The data we have collected on these vaccines is limited in comparison to other vaccines that have been approved in the past (which is why they are currently only approved for emergency use authorization), and it will continue to be until long-term cohort studies can be done. The CDC update on June 25th adding myocarditis and pericarditis to it's official list of potential SEs didn't help in convincing me to take it either (yes I am aware that COVID itself can also cause these issues). I am not anti-vax, my 3 year old is up to date on his vaccinations, and I've had a booster in the past 5 years for TDAP bc my titer came back low. From a public health perspective, this vaccine 100% makes sense, and I wouldn't disparage anyone who took one. It was working terrific until Delta, but like I already stated, I suspected that would become a problem at some point, and here we are.

Also, 80-90% resistance seems extremely optimistic from what I've been reading, including one example from Provincetown, MA:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/30/provincetown-covid-outbreak-vaccinated/

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

83% is still extremely protective. As data has shown, 90+% of hospitalized are not vaccinated. I suspect that it would hold and the booster isn't really needed except for older folks or immunocompromised folks.

3. STR8Thugg

83% effective is only valid for the main strain though, correct?

4. Major

Major Member

It hasn't "become a problem". It's still massively effective. Something like 99% of hospitalizations and ICU patients are unvaccinated. That's not a coincidence, and it's still way better to be vaxxed than not. For all the "we don't know the long-term effects of the vaccine", I would just say we also don't know the long-term effects of getting Covid - except that we know that actually exists in lots of people - but people seem fine with that risk.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

6M of data is needed for approval by the FDA. FDA is not waiting for long term data - they don't need it for this or past vaccines. They are set to approve the mRNA vaccines around labor date. Remember that Pfizer and Moderna submitted their applications for approval just 1 and 2M ago, and that's why it has not been approved yet. It takes time for the FDA to go through their process (they have 6M to do so).

STR8Thugg likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think whatever it is, the data that is important is how many people are experiencing severe enough symptoms to show up at the hospitals (real world data and not lab data). Uk, Israel, US .... plenty of data. Some high 90%+ of those hospitalized with Delta variant are unvaccinated. It's still very effective.

7. STR8Thugg

All fair points. Strictly speaking from an infection/hospitalization risk evaluation, it is better to be vaccinated than to not be vaccinated. That is not arguable.

For me however, at this point I prefer to just wait and see if this subunit vaccine shows more promise. I realize that I'm heading down a road that likely eventually leads to me being vaccinated at some point, and I realize that whatever vaccine I do end up getting will likely not have sufficient long-term data to satisfy me, but that's where my head is at currently.

8. toby

toby Member

Dumb question . . . just cause you are locked into a brand/type today, doesn't mean you can get a different one next year . . . right?

9. STR8Thugg

I hope it is as effective as you say, that's for sure.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

So My sister in law just called my wife, and had quite a bit to say. My SIL is a nurse by education, but she hasn't seen a patient in decades. Currently, she's in charge of nursing infomatics for one of the largest hospital systems in the nation. Her son is a hospitalist within the same system, and he's worked Covid wards since the first cases came about in Texas. This is the most stressed she's been since Covid first started. For a bit of color.....she owns some acreage in Oklahoma for deer hunting, and her physician son is a big time hunter and fisherman. They lean fairly well to the right of the political spectrum. I guess their system just got their "numbers" for the week, and it's the worst she's ever seen. She's been told that she AND her boss (another administrator of several decades) will probably have to roll up their sleeves and start seeing patients. It's THAT bad.

Deckard likes this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

Is your SIL qualified to see patients after not seeing patients in decades?

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

She's gonna screw up and inject light and bleach into her patients. just watch

Gioan Baotixita and ElPigto like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

out of curiosity I assume you’re aware that for the most part… say like 99% of vaccine side effects would appear in the very short term. That’s how vaccines work. They don’t stay in your system. They don’t change gut dynamics, etc. if you’re going to have a reaction to a vaccine it’s going to be relatively immediate. Those immediate reactions in some extremely rare cases can be long term.

there’s lots of medicine on the market more likely to **** you up and have long term side effects that is fda approved.

such is the nature of medicine.

I have no clue what the pushback about these vaccines only having EUA approval at the moment is. It’s called emergency use for a reason. It’s an emergency.

more worse variants are coming and they’re coming because of folk refusal to get ahead of it by vaccinating. That’s just science and data.

I’m also confused by folks pushback on Fauci when you see that. The guy is like The Godfather of internal medicine. He literally wrote the book that most current doctors have to study in med school on internal medicine. He’s been in charge of the NIH for almost 40 years. He’s served 7 presidents. It’s all just science and medicine with this guy.

I don’t understand the folks that push back against “freedoms”. There’s lots of freedoms you give up living in a society. You can’t kill people. You can’t drive drunk. You can only bear certain arms in America. Etc.

It all comes down to science and data. Obviously if Covid was more Ebola like in its outcome, but with the same speed of transmission and disease progression making it the killer of killer viruses… ain’t nobody would be like “nah, we shouldn’t wear masks or vaccinate, we need our freedoms!!!” So folks are instead making their own conclusions about the risk of covid.

But the data is clear. There’s been hundreds of millions vaccinated with minimal minimal side effects and exceedingly exceedingly rare death. There’s been hundreds of millions of folks infected with covid worldwide with 4 million deaths and much much more long term impacted with “long covid”. Plus the longer we go without full vaccination the more risk we have of more coming worse variants.

the cost benefit analysis in this situation is clear.

not getting vaccinated when it’s so readily available is a case of selfishness and fear overcoming ones debt to society. Not getting vaccinated AND not masking up is crazy. Not doing both of those AND not allowing local leaders to enact their own rules, especially when it comes to schools, is ****ing insane. We’re 18 months into this and getting worse because of this type of thinking.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh god. Oh pee pee. oh god. o pee. o lawdt. Relax. lulz

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very well said. I want to add that just in the last week, it became crystal clear to the CDC just how contagious the Delta Variant is. It's as contagious as Chicken Pox. Chicken Pox, a disease that if one child came into his/her grade school classroom with it, literally every child in that classroom would come down with it unless they had had it already. That happened to me as a child and it was very, very common, but as unpleasant as having it was, it wouldn't put you in the hospital, it wouldn't kill you, it wouldn't give you possible long-term health issues impacting you the rest of your life, unless you were part of an infinitesimal percentage of people with incredibly bad luck.

Just this past week, two former professional colleagues of my significant other, both vaccinated with either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine long before, let her know that they had had "breakthrough" infections of what had to be the Delta Variant of Covid-19. One in her 30's (mentioned before), had traveled out of state to visit relatives, came home, was hit hard with a severe cold, and tested positive. She gave it to her husband and their two young daughters. Like her, the husband was very sick for a week, and fortunately, the kids just for a couple of days. After another week, they are getting their sense of smell and taste back. The experience really frightened them.

Today, we found out that another former colleague, vaccinated and who hadn't been wearing a mask, caught it, gave it to his wife and they are both very ill. He almost checked himself into a hospital with breathing issues, which he still has, but thinks he might be feeling slightly better. We hope so. Both are in their 60's with pre-existing conditions.

Everyone needs to take this new variant of Covid-19 very seriously. Fauci describes it as "almost like another virus." We know 4 people, all vaccinated, who caught this thing over the last couple of weeks. Vaccinated people are being hospitalized and even dying from it, although if you are vaccinated, you are far more likely to get sick for a week or maybe two (maybe less), depending on your individual circumstances. You can catch it from your kids, who may not even have symptoms. Our kids are grown, thank god, but many of you have kids that are about to go back to school. Good luck.

Austin's ICU's are getting filled up with Covid cases, almost every one of them unvaccinated people. Instead of trying to come up with reasons not to be vaccinated, which some of you seem to be doing, consider the overwhelming number of reasons to get vaccinated. Austin has the largest percentage of vaccinated citizens of any large Texas city, and our hospitals are getting hit hard, again. One of the main reasons this is happening in Texas, and in Florida, is the incompetent response of the top officials in their respective state governments. One third of the new cases of Covid-19 are occurring in just those two states. Texas and Florida. Don't become another statistic.

Kim, arkoe and jchu14 like this.
  16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I think you read too much into it. There is a difference in being surprised about being negative and thinking the results were wrong. It was probably the timing of it all that made us think we had it. I had multiple family members with it that got it from different places and were vaccinated. Near identical symptoms. So obviously you are going to assume that's what was going on and get tested. I was actually pretty relieved I was negative.

Deckard likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"Nurse by education"....what does that even mean? Does she just keep her license as a nurse up to date and not see patients?

18. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

My wife's hospital did the same thing during the first wave. The hospital transitioned people who is still licensed but has been working in administrative duties into direct patient care. Even though that's part of the 'surge' capacity that hospitals have, it's not a good thing for quality of care. These folks may not worked in patient care for years and now they're asked to catch up really really fast in a stressful situation.

The hospitals will have to do whatever they need to do to keep things going, but it's frustrating to hear people saying that there is plenty of health care capacity left when they see that there are still beds in 'phase two' and 'phase three' surge capacity.

Deckard and steddinotayto like this.
  19. STR8Thugg

Yes I am aware. I’m not on here popping off about how autism is caused by MMR bc of a redacted study from 1998 that Jenny McCarthy supports.

I have concerns. I realize some of these concerns involve extremely small risks, that in comparison with the potential risks of getting COVID-19, are probably less concerning.

The large argument in favor of getting the vaccine right now is basically “even if you still get COVID it’s not likely to be severe or result in hospitalization.” That’s fair, and I certainly wouldn’t want to get COVID and end up hospitalized. I have the “benefit” of hindsight in having recently contracted the disease, from an in-person work meeting, while wearing a mask. Would I have contracted it if I was vaccinated? Probably not, or possibly with minimal symptoms, again, impossible to say with certainty. I hope that if I do ever contract COVID again in the future that my experience is no worse than this time was. There is no way of knowing for sure, but I have to feel reasonably confident that my risk of hospitalization isn’t actually all that great. If I didn’t then I would probably be vaccinated already. It’s certainly something that I am aware of, and it’s still concerning.

It’s hard to say that people choosing not to get vaccinated is selfish and not paying their debt to society. Well, you said it, but I disagree. It’s sad that we have gotten to a place in this world where groupthink is so pervasive that others aren’t willing to listen to the other side of the conversation. Even if you disagree, you shouldn’t lack the perspective to know you can’t possibly understand the nuances of everyone else’s thought processes or decision making.

20. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

So, uh, what the hell are we supposed to do now? Hunker down again even if we are vaccinated? :(