1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

My company had a sales summit two weeks ago flying in reps and AM from all over the US, everyone vaccinated. Currently 14 people are covid positive.
    Interesting your symptoms @Ziggy as I have been feeling drained, slightly brain fogged with a sporadic cough and just kind of a yuck feeling like I was coming down with the flu. Covid Negative, but am just now getting my energy levels back and feeling clearer in the head. I felt for sure I must of caught it.

Wild Times we live in.

CCity Zero, Ziggy and B-Bob like this.
  2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

A lot of winter-season bugs have been going around. I know of 5 or 6 people that all had cold symptoms, including a cough, but every one came back COVID negative.

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Mississippi has only 6 open ICU beds remaining.
    Only about 35 percent of the state’s population is fully vaccinated, according to state data.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You hate to see it I guess.

Sajan likes this.
  5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Wow. I had the exact same thing last week but negative also. I thought I had covid for sure but thankfully no.

6. jboslett

jboslett Member

No.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe the current test fails more often to detect covid infection in vaccinated people due to how fast the virus gets neutralized. With the delta variant, it seems you are symptomatic 1-2 days earlier than ancestor strains. If you are vaccinated, the slope of viral load isn't a hill but a steeper backward V. So, perhaps the current test has more "room" for not detecting the virus.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

TMC 8/5/21 Update. Dashboard PDF also attached:

Here are the key data trends:

• Yesterday, R(t) for the Greater Houston Area was 1.43 which indicates the virus spread has decreased 7.00% compared to last week’s daily average of 1.54
    • Yesterday, the COVID-19 testing positivity rate was 12.6% for TMC hospital systems which is 10.0% higher than last week’s daily average of 11.5%
    • 3,410 people tested positive for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston Area which is an increase of 48.5% compared to the last week’s daily average of 2,296 new cases per day.

• The average daily new positive cases for last month was 133/day, meaning that today’s new positive COVID-19 cases are 2472.2% higher than last month’s daily average.
    • TMC admitted 311 new COVID-19 patients in TMC hospital institutions which has increased 26.3% compared to last week’s daily average of 246/day.

• The average daily hospitalizations last month was 51/day, meaning that today’s new hospitalizations are 508.1% higher than last month’s daily average.
    • 2,094,738 doses have been administered by TMC institutions. Over the last week, an average of 1,597 doses per day have been administered.

• 1,120,240 people have been fully vaccinated.

Attached Files:

robbie380 and Amiga like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

There's more articles on this but as mentioned above there's been an early uptick in seasonal viruses - like RSV:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/co...en-s-took-adult-patients-in-past-16361242.php

For adults it's a normally a common cold/not feeling great - for young children/elderly adults it can be serious.

Anyway, I also read about the lower than normal flu cases and other seasonal viruses last year backfiring - basically a nice surge due to immune systems getting a break and then relaxing protocols - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/07/winter-flu-season-could-be-big-experts-warn.html - again more sources with recent examples of this happening now.

Really can't easily win here, I know Moderna is working on an RSV vaccine, but the human immune system is basically use it or lose it - vaccines are certainly one way and environment is the other way.

I personally know of a few friends that have their infants currently in the hospital due to RSV.

10. Xerobull

They salespeople say they're immunized.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Our Doctor said a lot of the normal upper respiratory viruses are making a comeback right now, so people that feel cruddy but are COVID negative are probably just catching up on cold and flu that they didn't have last year.

12. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Well everyone had to send their vaccination card to HR prior to reserving their tickets. I am sure people are out there with fake vaccination cards or they had the shot go into the sink. It is what it is.

Interesting to see the RSV information, my boss had me pretty pissed Thursday coming into the office coughing and looking like **** for important meetings. She stated her daughters kids that are currently living with her have RSV and she is sure she must of caught it... Friday she was out of the office and getting tested, no Covid RSV positive thou. She then came into the office Monday for a few hours and left for a breathing treatment and then was out Tuesday.

The fact that she was showing symptoms and assuming its only RSV no big deal and coming into the building really freaking pisses me off.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

14. SuraGotMadHops

Looking at the last page or so of this thread, we have reached peak insanity. We have vaxxed people getting sick and testing negative, and it's blowing their minds. "This can't be right, I must have it, the test is wrong." It's almost like y'all are disappointed you tested negative. Did all non-Covid related illnesses disappear or something? Jesus folks this is good news, it means the vaccine is working. Do y'all not want it to work?

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Not trying to be inflammatory, but the trends happening right now (Pfizer 4 months post-vaccination efficacy rates dropping to 83%, FOUR MONTHS!!, Delta running wild and infecting TF out of vaxed people) are some of the reasons why I have chosen not to get vaccinated up to this point.

I suspected this would eventually happen. I haven't kept up with the literature as closely as I did last year, but it does seem like we are in a worse position than we were around this time last year. It's extremely depressing just thinking about it.

16. Xerobull

True heroes.

Very frustrating. Why are Americans such idiots? That's all I'll say.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Curious, what counter measures are you taking to safeguard yourself from getting COVID if you're choosing not to get vaccinated? Not trying to imply anything; just genuinely curious and coming from a place of ignorance.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sucks they're getting burnt out. We take too many things for granted. I should put up a ribbon on my car for them or something.

For those who have other non-covid related treatment, hope you all get the necessary and timely care you deserve.

19. Major

Major Member

Seems like sound logic. 0% resistance is just as good as 80-90% resistance.

Sajan, JeeberD and BigM like this.
  20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I still mask in public places unless it's outside, and I don't go to crowded outdoor events. Continue to carry hand sanitizer, but if possible I prefer to just wash my hands. I use lysol and clorox wipes liberally.

I do go out to eat occasionally on weekends, but I try to avoid crowded times or places where it seems overly risky.

Got COVID once since all this started, been tested at least 15-20x, all previously negative until this July, which I highly suspect was Delta.

steddinotayto likes this.