1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. He doesn't need the ball to be effective and he won't take shots from anyone.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Olynyk is 1 dimensional player and that dimension is offense.

Olynyk would have fit perfectly with Cade or Mobley.

Theis is 2 way player but weak offensively, and that's okay because he fits better with Green and Sengun.

It's about fitting the role players to your core pieces.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for CF to comprehend.

We all loved KO, he fit Silas system to a T and was maximized, but he is over 30 and not a core piece, especially in 3-4 years when team should be competing at its highest level.

This post not aimed at you specifically man, just using it as a catch all.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

True, love Olynyk too.

But he is not great fit on our new team.

And he is also 3 years older than Theis.

Theis 9M salary is easily traded vs. an older Olynyk at 12M.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

1 year older, Theis at 29 is of no significant age difference to Goatlynyk

also, 2/25 > 3/26 IMO. Would rather have Theis on Olynyks contract because Wall/Gordon/Wood all expire in 2023, KPJ hits FA in 2023, could be a major off season for us. Paying more over these next 2 seasons is preferable imo

To your other post, I think Olynyk defense has been overly hammered since the Theis signing, he was fine and played very solid positional and team defense. Theis might be a bit better due to being smaller but it’s uncomfortable to the offensive skill gap.

I’ll put it this way, Olynyk was a better offensive player then Wood last year. He had a blazing 67 TS% on 19ppg which was elite

None of it is that big of a deal, hopefully Theis works out, I don’t dislike him or his signing, I’m just saying I’d firmly rather have had VCD

joshuaao, D-rock and CriscoKidd like this.
  5. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

A 29 year old undersized center isn’t the move for a team trying to develop and establish talent….

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Under the radar guy that can play like PJ Tucker but has the height and length to finish among the bigs. I haven't seen him shoot much and do wonder about his range.

#386 Sanctity, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    raining threes and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Hakeem Olajuwon's salary in 1993/94 was like $3.2 million.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Why not? We need an experienced big man defender. It's much easier to teach young guys good defense when you have someone on the court that is actually playing good defense. A bunch of young bad defenders would make learning proper placement and rotations much harder because you couldn't count on anybody to be where they are supposed to be.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  9. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

If I was the Rockets DJ at the game, I would play "Nuthin But A G Thang" everytime he enters the game.

"It's like THEIS, n like that n like THEIS and Uhhh"

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unless he is a LEADER off the court, it is a waste other than a cap friendly contract that can be traded.

DD

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A 29-year-old established professional basketball player, with excellent habits and work ethic on and off the court, for a reasonable contract, is exactly the type of move a team trying to develop and establish young talent should be making.

These kids need to learn from someone, and it ALWAYS helps If the guy can still play. DJ Augustin, David Nwaba, Daniel Theis are precisely the kind of crusty, tough Vets we want our teenagers learning from.

Get rid of Danuel House just like we got rid of Sterling Brown's dumbass. Create the perfect learning environment. Free the idiots...

12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Every team needs a BULLY or a tough guy on the team, last year it was .....Tate??? Theis could work i just do not like his height....I'm tired of small ball. Lakers played small ball and they won last year, and this year the Bucks played BULLY ball and they win.....we just need to get bigger. Hey what about a Gordon-Wiseman trade??? Golden State would love Gordon because they know he can shoot.

13. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

He is actually a pretty solid 3p shooter. About 35%. And he stuffs it pretty hard. Watch out for a lot of alley-oops.

hakeem94, RasaqBoi and Sanctity like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

mediocre player. He'll definitely be exposed on bad teams like this much more. Doesn't really do much for this team. a player like him pretty much had to be signed because it's not like an actual star or significant player was going to. he's just taking the opportunity of the rockets having an opening and giving him a solid pay day rather than taking less on a better team and winning games

RasaqBoi and JohnWoo713 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Theis is just a placeholder for Joel Embiid everyone relax ;)

hakeem94, D-rock and BossHogg713 like this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except its pronounced "tie-ss". As in heavyweight boxing champ, Mike Theis-son". No "h" sound, Like Ementhaller cheese is pronounced Em-en-TALL-er, and Neanderthals are properly "neander-TALLs".

D-rock and BossHogg713 like this.
  17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

We pronounce names the way we want and the player will roll with it. ;)

hakeem94 and Ottomaton like this.
  18. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

So essentially you're calling him Turtle neck Theis ;)

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

It is is you trying to suck for another year or 2

eliefor3 likes this.