1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Brown can help, I expect he will be added to the 40-man and then start next season in AAA to limit his innings (wink wink). Not sure if the Astros think he'll be able to help now.

HTXSportsAddict and Htown Legend like this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

There is concern with Baez and his velocity. I could see him being shutdown and put on the 60 day IL to open a spot for someone like Brown.

3. Buck Turgidson

That's the guy who made me ask.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros released 4 OF prospects:

Franklin Pinto (6 figure bonus international signee)
    Yimmi Cortabarria (6 figure bonus international signee)
    Raider Uceta (part of the return from the Max Stassi trade)
    Andres Monzon

Pinto made it to Fayetteville for a few games this season, but the others never made it out of the complexes.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

6. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Really hope they will be signing Cesar Prieto, but with all other potential signings, there may not be enough money.

7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I asked about him earlier. His stats pretty impressive. How do y’all see this translate into the major if given a chance with the Astros?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think he will very likely have walk issues and might also allow too many HR. But he has had very high strikeout rates in the minors so he should be a viable depth option next season. My prediction would be a AAAA arm. It’ll be interesting to see if they add him to the 40 man to protect him from the rule 5 draft this fall.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yea, I think a better version of Bielak is possible. More K's...

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Misael Tamarez vs. Fredericksburg: 5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 11 K

The 11 strikeouts are a new career high for Tamarez, who remains on fire from the mound.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Fayetteville play-by-play commentator:

12. Buck Turgidson

That's proper stuff for a kid, quit walking so many guys and you've got something.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Interesting similarities to JR on this sad day.

raining threes likes this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jordan Brewer and Victor Mascai both homered in Fayetteville's 10-5 win over Fredericksburg.

Brewer has three home runs this year while Mascai has five between Fayetteville and the FCL.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

A Joe Perez bomb...

Snake Diggit and prospecthugger like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Scouting report from Round Rock tonight:

SP Austin Hansen looked awful. I wasn’t paying close attention to velos but I didn’t see anything over 93 from Hansen or Pedro Baez.

Taylor Jones can legit play 3B and he hits the ball hard. Probably not on par value with Toro but some team is going to get a decent bench bat out of him. Maybe more.

Garrett Stubbs represents the lollipop guild but hit the ball surprisingly hard. Dude can’t weigh more than 155.

Miguelangel Sierra impressed me big time. Kid hit the ball HARD 4 times, including a 2B and a HR. His career stats indicate major strikeout issues but tonight he looked legit.

CJ Hinojosa also impressed. Not as much of a power show as Sierra but he can field SS and makes great contact. Would not surprise me one bit if he carves out a career as a AAAA IF.

Papierski will still be playing pro ball into his mid 30s. Whether that’s in Indy ball or the majors I don’t know, but he’s a players’ player and knows how to make himself valuable.

Siri and Dawson didn’t show me much. Dawson’s numbers had me hype but between the statistical drop off and seeing him tonight, I think I’m out on him as a potential everyday MLB OF; I do think he’ll be a decent 4th OF tho.

Matijevic and Norel Gonzalez hit the ball HARD. Matijevic showed subtle signs of attitude problems. Norel looks like a roided up version of a softball beer league dude. Both are likely AAAA bats since they have no defensive value and don’t seem to be elite enough hitters to overcome it, but both will reach the majors.

Frank Drebin, Screaming Fist and Nook like this.
  17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I know a team that could use someone who can play 3B well and be a decent bench bat. Why is Jones not getting a chance?

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good question. I assume it’s because they value Robel’s ability to fill in at SS and 2B more than whatever offensive upgrade Jones might provide. Also, Jones has really struggled in the limited pa he’s gotten in the majors during his callups this season; I have chalked that up to bad luck and lack of inconsistent playing time, but maybe there’s something there that the FO has seen that makes them think his AAA performance won’t translate as well.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The whole "ability to play SS" excuse should be gone with Diaz back

vince likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

DIaz can only play one position at a time. The ability to play SS excuse is probably valid until Bregman gets back or Leon or someone else is healthy and ready.

Jones looks like he's going to need a lot of ABs to see if he can hit major league pitching. I hope the Astros don't need him to get that chance.

Snake Diggit likes this.