1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can We / Will We Spend The MLE.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Corrosion, Aug 4, 2021.

1. mightybosstone

At this point, the question isn't whether they have the money to do it. It's whether they have the roster room for minutes for a player worth paying the MLE. I'm all for adding talent, but there's already way too many players in need of minutes on the roster as it is. I noted in another thread, but there's at least 12 guards and wings on the roster when I last checked. Some of those guys need to go before the season starts or no one's going to be getting any minutes.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is he even available for MLE?

raining threes likes this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He supposedly turned down an offer from the Spurs that would pay him roughly $8mil/yr for 3 years so it sounds like his camp is thinking the MLE is the start of his value...but again - why tie yourself to a multi year contract with a player with a poor recent history when you already have too many people on the roster and don't know what you "need" for this roster? I say let him take the qualifying offer to play in Chicago one more year and then if we think he can help this roster next year, then we can make a run at him then based on his fit with our emerging stars' skill sets.

raining threes and roslolian like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

So he refused 8M that means he isnt available for MLE lol.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I thought the MLE was slightly higher than 8M - something like 9.5M this year because it's based on the fluctuating cap figures.

....San Antonio and OKC I think are the only teams left with cap room so if they don't offer him a contract then the MLE is his only option left and he just turned down San Antonio's offer so...

6. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Oubre is still around! Only 25! Seems like a chill guy to boot!

Mr.Scary and alethios like this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe but he's a role player, not incredibly gifted on defense, 3pt shot in the low 30s and may be looking for more than MLE. We'll see.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I would be a little surprised to see it unless we have another trade lined up to move out players.

I could easily see us doing a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 player trade with some combination of house/Augustin/Gordon to take on someone else's bad contract (ending 2023) and take back an asset

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Lauri Markennen

23 years old

13.6 pts, 5.3 rebs (48 % FG, 40 % 3 pt)

Doesn't look bad on paper but Chicago was a bad team. Can he play SF?

Fulgore likes this.
  10. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

No point in using the MLE if we're still developing (tanking) our youngsters. I think next we go for it.

roslolian and saleem like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hmm you are right. I was think MLEs are around 5-6M but I guess that only applies to tax paying teams.

However other non tanking teams might like him at MLE as well so maybe Rox would be his last option if they were interested. For example I can see Bucks making the mid level offer considering PJ Tucker left and they need shooting around Giannis.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sad, but true.

roslolian likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need one more shooter. Armoni Brooks is worth giving another shot.

roslolian and bleedroxred79 like this.
  14. DonatelloLimestone

I don't know if should use the whole think. I don't think Laurri would come to us for MLE. If he does, stone got antoher steal at least in worth taking that risk

I'm using hal or partial of the MLE to bring in a really solid vet whose on the same page and ready to show the yougn guys.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

maybe, but he can’t play defense

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was thinking an under the radar guy we can find sometime in the next year and then develop along w/ the HOUnds, maybe the next covington

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This team is BAD. It needs to use every tool at its disposal to improve.

The MLE , like a draft pick is an asset , but it is one that expires if not used. This team cannot afford to waste assets / opportunities. Not using the MLE is simply that .... A wasted opportunity.

Yes , to use it they would have to make some other roster move that creates an open roster space but there are at least 4 players on this roster who do not fit in Wall , EG , Augustin & House.
    They may get a better return on a trade later in the season when teams are looking for post season help .... but is that return greater than what you can get for that player now plus the use of all or part of the MLE ?

Its a use it or lose it asset ....

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Somehow, people are really seriously questioning if the Rockets will spend more on salaries or not....

LOL

[​IMG]

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Who then?

20. Milos

Milos Member

AFAminu has always been a favorite of mine
    Maybe give Pop a call?