1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well after spending the last school year in my apartment and teaching all of my classes either by zoom or having them completely on-line, I was one of the first people to get vaccinated (got vaccinated in April). It isn't about politics or whether or not about believing in vaccinations - for me, it was a matter of comfort as I find the facemasks to be unbearable. Now I just got an email from my college that says that facemasks are required AGAIN indoors even for people who are vaccinated. I just want to beat my head against the wall over this COVID nightmare.....

I am teaching most of my classes this fall on-line again but I do have 2 classes that meet on-ground or onsite and I will have to figure out some way to deal with the masks, unfortunately. :(

tinman, daywalker02 and B-Bob like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I feel you, broseph. I was involved in making a fall schedule of classes like five times as conditions changed -- like, how many kids can we safely have in this laboratory, or that laboratory? Which of our dept. courses will be online versus in person? All with tremendous pressure from the U. to do as much on campus as possible, and now... delta and lambda and ****.

ElPigto and Manny Ramirez like this.
  3. B-Bob

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With you in the lab I’m guessing 0 is the safest number of kids in there…

5. B-Bob

delete

#11825 B-Bob, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    malakas likes this.
  6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It's the combination of humidity and the mask in general that is hard to deal with especially for people with other health issues. I think like a portable lite weight oxygen tank and tubes might be the best way to go if teaching on campus is a must for you

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Latest from TMC (document attached)

Here are the key data trends:
    • The R(t) for the Greater Houston Area was 1.43 which indicates the virus spread has decreased 7.13% compared to last week’s daily average of 1.54
    • The COVID-19 testing positivity rate was 12.5% for TMC hospital systems which is 8.6% higher than last week’s daily average of 11.5%
    • 2,013 people tested positive for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston Area which is a decrease of 12.33% compared to the last week’s daily average of 2,296 new cases per day.
    • TMC admitted 281 new COVID-19 patients in TMC hospital institutions which has increased 14.1%compared to last week’s daily average of 246/day.

• The average daily hospitalizations last month were 51/day, meaning that today’s new hospitalizations are 449.4% higher than last month’s daily average.
    • 2,092,684 doses have been administered by TMC institutions. Over the last week, an average of 1,484 doses per day have been administered.

• 1,119,636 people have been fully vaccinated.

As COVID-19 testing has dropped off significantly, we have less visibility into the spread of the COVID-19 virus. What is abundantly clear is the alarming escalation of COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization across the Texas Medical Center.

Our healthcare teams have been battling this COVID-19 Pandemic for 17 months and frankly, they are exhausted. Together, we once celebrated the arrival of the COVID-19 vaccines and allowed ourselves to imagine life again without limitations. Perhaps foolishly, many of us believed that the overwhelming data demonstrating the most safe and effective vaccines in history would carry the day. We were wrong.

Sadly, nearly half of Texans elected not to have a COVID-19 vaccination and this segment now represents the largest and youngest population requiring hospitalization since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

We win and lose as a community. It is never too late to pull together.

All the best,

Bill

William F. McKeon
    President & Chief Executive Officer
    Texas Medical Center​

Attached Files:

robbie380 and B-Bob like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need data on age and ethnicity as well

Deckard likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I doubt we'll get that from TMC. They have the data but it's not a priority and it's a sticky subject so I doubt they will offer it up in reports. I expect we will see it on a national level, possibly after the surge.

Daily data here:

https://www.tmc.edu/?mc_cid=bde661d289&mc_eid=d57faac004

tinman likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i guess 2021 makes it faux pas to talk about race on certain topics

but for age

kids can't get the vaccine

and the young people at the bars and rap festivals don't care

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was at a work conference this weekend. Been feeling sick for 3.5 days now. I had a tough time finding a rapid Covid test in a window of 24 hours, it seemed easier to find them a few months ago. I was negative. But I don't FEEL negative, lulz. Not sure what I have but it isn't flu or strep either.

I'm vaxxed and felt confident if I was exposed I wouldn't even know it, like CP3. But something def got me.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes look around for someone that doesn’t verify. We did Walmart.

also the pediatrician couldn’t recommend it but said “here are places that don’t check”

have your kid lie about birthdate and say no insurance.

#11832 JayZ750, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    JeeberD likes this.
  13. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Same thing here. Two Saturdays ago felt like crap all day. The day before I had a runny nose and started sneezing. Slept all day Sunday trying to ride out fever, chills, sneezing. Took a rapid and pcr test on Monday morning. Both these came back negative. If it wasn't Corona then what the hell was going on?

JeeberD likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lol. I haven't been sick in like... 3 years. So maybe I forgot what a cold/virus feels like. This started with not being able to lift what I normally can at the gym, then a drip in my throat, then a sore throat (really sore) and evolved into a minor intermittent cough and most recently - headache. I'm not dying or anything but too tired to leave the house the past 3 days.

Maybe I just tested too early to show covid. But the symptoms are not really traditional covid... no fever at any time either. BUT - I hear Delta V hits different (lol).

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Easiest place to get a rapid test is Walgreens. They offer Rapid NAAT tests (called ID NOW) that are more accurate than the rapid antigen tests and you get the results in your email in an hour or two.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

INSIDE THE LOOP - it was a 2-day wait when I looked at Walgreens. Not bad, but not as easy as it should be. I wound up at an Urgent Care after hours. They magically had an opening appear.

17. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Great, thank you so much!

18. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

My best friend just found out he got covid. He suspected it because he said he had high fever over the weekend. Said he felt like he was on fire.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#national-lab

I'm really curious to see where Texas goes with this wave. We have the 4th highest seroprevalence of covid estimated to be 32.2% (range between 28.1%-36%) as of June 10. The oldest have the lowest and the youngest have the highest. Ohio is the highest at 37.3% and then Illinois at 35.4%. Puerto Rico supposedly has a 74.8% seroprevalence, but that's crazy lol. Edit...just saw for PR that looks like that number is infected and vaccinated percentage.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

4 people at work sick that I know of. Same symptoms. All neg on covid. All vaxxed. No confirmation from any doctor on what it might be. We all seem to have been put on different pills and regimens.

I hear people at HPD are getting sick - neg on Covid. No explanation of what is causing it.

Zoom stock up an eyebrow raising amount today.

I'm no conspiracy boy, but could a new, vax-proof, currently-undetectable strain be emerging right in front of our noses? Lulz but serious, kinda.

You would have called me crazy if I said this 2yrs ago. You know... back when people were getting sick with Covid but it hadn't been officially "coined" yet.

Good luck! Lulz.

JumpMan and CCity Zero like this.