1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Usman Garuba and Spain vs USA GameThread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 2, 2021.

1. alethios

alethios Member

Stone is not wrong.

xaos likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

For the most part, that applies to Northern Europeans. Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe not so much.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's just simply not true. I've been to Spain numerous times and the majority of people speak English. It's the default vacation spot for British people, to the point there's British themed bars all over the place. In fact, through travelling across Europe, the only place I struggled communicate was in Croatia. Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, Luxemburg, Spain and Greece pretty much everywhere I went everybody spoke English to a standard I had no trouble communicating.

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is a great point regarding bigs (and defensive players being overlooked). The Rockets have notoriously gone against the grain the past several years (no mid-range) while other teams are late to the party and making up for lost time. The Astros have done the same thing in the past several years. One example is when everyone was low on power hitters and Luhnow was able to get several of them for cheap like Evan Gattis just because he didn't hit .300 or get on base a ton. Astros noticed this undervaluing and pounced on it. Zig while others zag.

The undervaluing of bigs is also similar to running backs in the NFL being overlooked for a couple of years and then teams realized that you still need to have several quality RB's on your roster or you will likely not succeed. Some of the smarter GM's will "double down" on RB's in a draft in the later rounds too as the likelihood that they exceed the performance of where they are drafted is high and I think the same will apply to bigs in the NBA. I like that Stone was able to get two of the highest upside bigs in the whole draft besides Mobley and only used minimal assets to do it.

One more example is for people who play fantasy football. One of the best strategies is to draft the 2 best TE's early in the draft (assuming you have a flex) which would obviously be Kelce and Kittle. Not only does that strengthen your team but the drop off from those 2 is immense and the rest of the teams are searching for TE's the whole ****ing season wondering why their team is so shitty.

Deckard, D-rock, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's the same age as Dikembe Mutombo. :D

D-rock likes this.
  6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree with you to an extent but I would also be the first to note that I advocated for us drafting Green over Mobley because bigs tend to take much longer to develop....and maybe part of it is just developing grown man strength to add to existing length but that means you don't get the value early in their contracts because they are still developing by the time they get that first big contract opportunity. Unless you are an instant star like an AD or a KAT, I think most bigs just represent a much more uncertain path for early talent evaluators and the payoff is a long term one and all that assumes a big doesn't leave your team before then which most bigs do before their drafting team gets to reap the benefits of their selection. If the best value in the league in terms of production for the cost is superstars on max contracts and second best value is good players on rookie scale contracts, then the team who drafts a big on a rookie scale contract would generally see the least ROI.

clos4life, Easy and Nook like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I have been to a majority of those places. All over Asia, a few countries in Africa, South America, Costa Rica this summer. It's easy to get around no matter what the scenario is in my experience with English. I have not been to Croatia though.

Dobbizzle, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

True. We know several people in the Netherlands who speak 3 or 4 languages, English assuredly being one of them, who think nothing of it. If there is a nationwide problem in our country (the US) that is rarely discussed, and just as rarely addressed, it’s the almost total “lack of interest” in having our kids learn a second or even an additional 3rd language, beginning in kindergarten.

Not just “learn” the language(s), become fluent in them. Enough to carry on a reasonable conversation. A large majority of European countries manage it, so there isn’t a reason we can’t, as well. Guess that’s a discussion for another forum, but the issue popped up right here.

Dobbizzle, Easy, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

crazy

10. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with your general premise that perimeter players develop faster. I would say in counter that when you are drafting at the top of the draft, that it is less of a concern because the players that end up getting offered max contracts by their teams in general terms are worth far more than what the max contract amount is.

When it comes to Evan Mobley in particular, I do not think that it will take him very long to develop at all. He has excellent instincts, he makes few mistakes on the basketball court, he reads offenses already at a very high level. He needs to get stronger and improve his outside shot some. However he will likely still really be contributing in many ways starting day one.

Having said that, I agree that it makes sense for teams to value guards and even wings over bigs..... the question is WHAT is the proper ratio? 2:1? I cannot say for sure, but I would say that only one big in the top 15 picks is likely too lopsided and I don't think it is coincidence that the Rockets drafted two bigs.... as objectively they were likely both in the top 10-15 talents in this draft.

The Rockets bigs are also a little different in that Alp will likely contribute offensively early in his contract.... and Usman has a very highly likelihood of contributing as a defender almost immediately.

On a side note.... I was thinking that had the Rockets taken Mobley, they would have Mobley and Garuba and Wood........ all three are exceptionally nimble on their feet and can guard some on the perimeter.... and all three are very long and capable shot blockers. Obviously Mobley would have to develop an outside shot (which I think he will), but the Rockets would have a very good defensive front line rotation..... then next year could target a guard.

11. juanming

juanming Member

Why does everybody keep bringing up Mobley??

I'm going to be politically correct... Mobley is effeminate if you know what I mean yes that is what I mean

No thanks... I don't need our rockets running out of the locker room scared to death of dropping the soap

Lol

I'm sorry but somebody had to say it

I think I'm the only one that actually had the courage to say it
    But anyways yeah he's soft-spoken his daddy still changes his diapers no thanks

This isn't San Fransisco I'm on a roll and also drunk

Anyways it's Vegas baby!!!!! Oh wait.....

#91 juanming, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

He really can't.

And we all just have to accept he can't.

And its not just him.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Does not mean he cannot bring a translator from Spain.

*fingers crossed*

Spain has gorgeous women ... uh ... translators.

#93 D-rock, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Love how he keeps the blocks in play and not into the bleachers.

16. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Lol.

D-rock likes this.
  17. bmelo

bmelo Member

I live in Poland and you can talk in english with anybody. On the other hand France/Germany/Italy/Spain not so much. Those are really proud nations they dont care about other languages.

Scandinavians speak better english than Americans though lol

Caesar, Williamson and Sengun like this.
  18. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah its madness in Spain can confirm

D-rock likes this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If it is it goes DEEP. He's been with a pro club since he was 11. Hard to pass as an 11 year old when you're 15 or whatever.

hakeem94, D-rock and Zen Tabak like this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I lived in Barcelona Spain briefly about 12 years ago. I don't speak Spanish. And I got into this bad habit of just letting others translate for me because my girlfriend spoke Spanish fluently as did the couple friends I hung out with there. One day, a friend of mine and I stopped by a gelato shop. The 16 year old girl behind the counter asked me what I'd like to order in Spanish. I turned to my friend and mumbled into his ear. She gathered I did not speak Spanish. So she then asked me in Italian. I turned to my friend and said surprised, "Did she just try to take my order in Italian?" and she heard me then. So she then asked for my order in English. I have never felt so dumb in my life. The girl that worked at the equivalent to Baskins and Robbins could speak at least 3 languages and I am over here knowing damn well I come from a state that used to be part of Mexico and know nothing of her language. Oh the shame of being a dumb American.

IvanLCPM, hakeem94, D-rock and 4 others like this.