1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Usman Garuba and Spain vs USA GameThread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 2, 2021.

1. HTXSportsAddict

2. i3artow i3aller

You love to see it.
    Get that young man on a plane to Houston ASAP.
    [​IMG]

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I bet It's quite ez to work on his 3-point shooting, but it takes time to be nasty n becoming a bad boy, first things first he gotta learn some jeet kune do
    [​IMG]

#24 DeBeards, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Garuba played against the best players in the world who are much older than him. He played great!! He has a nba body, very fast, strong and great IQ on defense. He was the youngest person on the court tonight and he played very physical.. He is ready for the NBA, he just needs to work on three point shot and free throws.

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Get ready boys. This kids IQ and muscles are jacked af for a 19 year old. I can’t believe how excited I am for our boys to just grow together. Holy **** how amazing it is to be a Rockets fan. Been a fan for nearly over 25 years, thru all the good and bad times always supporting. And honestly it’s crazy how many pieces we have right now that are young and have crazy potential. I do hope everything works out for us and our team grows into something crazy amazing and we can get to the promised NBA finals again, because it’s been too long. I hope it’s our time in a few years.

#26 Mr. Dominant, Aug 3, 2021
    Sonicbun8, IvanLCPM, Plowman and 12 others like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Garuba played great. I was shocked how he was just throwing Bam around for 3 straight minutes.

IvanLCPM, Plowman, Emtenndo and 13 others like this.
  8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It’s pretty cool that your 19-year-old rookie’s current baseline is basically a big man’s version of Tony Allen.

Very disruptive, great instincts and active defender. The offense will come eventually, we just have to be patient.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

10. j@amc

j@amc Member

This was one of the biggest games in Spanish basketball history, their last shot with an older group of players. And who is in the middle of every play in the 4th quarter of a tight game? Garuba. He's Ricky Rubio's roll man when Spain needs a bucket. Gone are the Gasols. A new era of Spanish basketball is around the corner. The Spanish coaches put their 19-year old in the spotlight, and he more than held his own.

He's taking the ball away from Draymond Green, contesting Durant, extending plays with hustle. Everyone must really trust that he knows what he's doing. Looks like he belongs in a game like this.

11. bmelo

bmelo Member

I love Stone

12. Ranny

Ranny Member

Random comment:

I am in South America so i Was watching the game in spanish, and Chapu Nocioni along with some mexican dude were commentating. They both agreed that it had been a bad idea for Garuba to enter this draft. They felt that he should have stayed in Spain for at least another season, and that Garuba would had easily been a lottery pick in the next draft and would have had a guaranteed spot in the NBA. I guess they were not aware that the Rockets intend to bring him to the NBA immediately because they said that they believed Garuba was likely going to stay in Europe anyway to develop as an eurostash, something that Nocioni said was bad, as Garuba would depend on a team to bring him to the NBA or not.

not saying i agree or anything, just throwing it out there.

BTW, did you guys see that Llull youngster? interesting player, perhaps the Rox should scout him (?)

13. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Wow. Garuba stuffed Tatum and stripped Adebayo. An absolute pest on defense. Was able to switch and contest shots. For him to being doing that at 19 years old against some of the best in the NBA is impressive! He was running the floor well and was aggressive on offense. Wasn't in the best position when he tried posting up, but that is definitely an area he can improve. As long as he's running the floor and setting screens or getting rebounds and putbacks, he'll be fine. Once again, this guy is 19. Hopefully now that Spain is eliminated, he can join the Rockets for Summer League. I'm excited!

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Stone really picked the future scoring champ and future defensive player of the year in the same draft

And that’s not even including an 18 year old mvp phenom from Europe

15. mig0s

mig0s Member

Garuba is gonna be our franchise player. mark my words

j@amc, DeBeards, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Garuba
    Jalen Green
    KPJ
    **Sengun

Is this our hypothetical big 3? Or possibly add Sengun and we have a big 4?

#36 Mr. Dominant, Aug 3, 2021
    BamBam, DeBeards, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  17. 9baller

9baller Member

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Garuba is crafty when he blocks shots. More often than not, they go right to one of his teammates. He's already an elite defender at 19, with crazy good instincts, playing bigger than 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan, explosive jumping ability, and terrific lateral movement.

I get excited thinking about how good he'll be in a year or two. Heck, I'm get excited just thinking about having the guy on the court playing for us this season. There's a reason Clutch and Bima were jumping around, giving each other high fives at Bima's draft party when the pick was announced, talking about it on their podcast. They couldn't believe Garuba dropped that far. Neither can I. We really got lucky, folks, and some teams ahead of us blew it, big time, when they passed on him.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Garuba is not 19..
    Stop