1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone is wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Aug 2, 2021.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yes if thats the asking price for a starting center then it is what it is. Not like we are putting it to good use on theis

Again, allen has identical stats to deandre ayton. You would be lucky if any of our players develop into that

2. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

I like Nwaba and Theis, and i think we got both on very team-friendly contracts, but yeah I like Brown (and his contract too) over Nawaba and it'd be great if we can have both Theis AND Olynyk. i'd give Olynyk a 2yr 28mil. contract (maybe plus a 3rd yr. of team option)
    Wood+Theis+Olynyk is perfectly good and balanced 4/5 rotation. Garuba needs some work with Lucas before he can contribute.

i won't say Stone made the wrong call because we still got 2 very good player on reasonable contracts and we don't get to see the ownership budget book, but yeah ideally it'd be great if it's Brown + Olynyk + Theis :)

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ayton can create his own offense Allen relies 100% on passes and can only layup and dunk.

Look you can make the argument whether signing Allen over Theis is better right? I dont care about either of these players. But signing either of them is different from asking for Allen in a trade. Regardless whether you included him or traded him away signing Allen is a separate as his contract was expiring.

Getting Allen in the trade doesnt matter as he will go to the team that pays him the most money in FA. If the Rox wanted Allen, even if they traded him away they can get him by offering 25M instead of 20M. Conversely, even if we had Allen for the year if the Cavs really wanted him and offered him 25M he'd go to the Cavs. Its a separate issue from asset maximization which is what you are talking about.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just like the Cavs did. :rolleyes:

5. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

This signing was about defense which is what Stone is preaching. He’s putting defensive vets on the court first and foremost to teach the young guns. The tone is being set.

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Hate posts like this that just assume that we had a chance to re-sign players just because they played with us last season.

Nook, lakersuck2 and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Did you not see how much money Allen is getting?

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Didnt allen just sign like 20 mil per season deal for 5 years? So basically we wouldve had him for a 1 year deal because rockets werent gonna give him that lol What would be the point of that?

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

No we wouldnt

10. Ranny

Ranny Member

Wait... is your friend Danny Ainge? No? then i dont care.

11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

why wouldnt we? We are in the same rebuilding phase the cavs are

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

exactly. He wouldnt. We would have the better player and a top pick

D-rock likes this.
  13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If Allen was traded here, he would've had a chance to meet the owner before making a free agency decision. Then he would've bolted like Olynyk did who was desperate enough to choose to live in Detroit instead of Houston. People keep forgetting that free agents are free to choose where to sign. They don't have to accept the contract from their former team.

jerryclark likes this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

This thread is too funny, we finally have a coach who embraces versatility and getting defense-first / only veterans while still looking to add a shooter per reports during a REBUILD and people whine! These signings mean we're embracing a rebuild.

These are not guys who necessarily will play a lot, though you all - who are whining and doubting - will change your minds once Theis starts to grab all of our rebounds, boxing out properly and allowing Wood and our wings to play the lanes while hitting some threes to boot.

And Brown properly wanted to go to a team that is making the play-offs who have room for him. It's not like teams can automatically get the players they have on their teams back, look at how contenders are even losing key role players like the Nets Jeff Green and the Bucks PJ Tucker...these are human beings and we're the bottom of the barrel.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

did you also predicted suns going to the finals last year and almost win it all? miami to finals the year before? and the raptors winning it all the year before that?

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

mane you are penny pinching and promoting losers mentality...
    besides we have Stone and he can get you lottery quality guys with the teen picks...losing is not the way and even if it was theres no need to because Stone knows how to draft

DeBeards, jcmoon and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The crucial thing is even now the owner can't really get himself to at least spend 'a little'.

Acquire better veterans.

It's not really on Stone, dude has been handcuffed for sure as well.

This season will be hinging on the quick development of Jalen Green, Alperen Sengun, Usman Garuba.

Fun but a lot of losing.

DeBeards likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not particularly a fan of Theis ..... But for this team , I'll take him at $9m for 3 years and a team option over Allen (who's clearly the better player) for 4 years and a hundred million.

The Rockets couldn't have made that financial commitment to Allen or they would be DEEP in the luxury tax because they have $62.5m tied up in Wall & EG .... and lets be honest , there's absolutely NO reason for this team to pay the tax when they are going to have one of the worst records in the league again.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see the point in drafting 10-15 and missing the playin tournament. I also don't think we can count on stone to draft lotto guys in the teens every year. he did it this year and we got very lucky. and by that logic, if he can draft lotto guys in the teens, he should be able to draft superstars in the top 5.

but like I said we have a different approach and we don't have to agree.

20. anchel

anchel Member

I disagree. nwaba and Theis are much better defenders than Brown and Olynyk, and thats what this team and our young core needs.

I think once again he made the right choice.