1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rumors: rockets taking interest in trading for Daniel Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jul 31, 2021.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

100% of the minutes at C should go to Wood and Sengun. Nobody else.

That having been said, I suppose you could try playing Theis at PF. I’ve always thought of him as primarily a C and don’t really recall him ever guarding athletic PF’s. Maybe he’s capable of doing that and I’m not giving him enough credit. And it’s theoretically possible we deal Wood, though nothing short of an absolute haul should be accepted.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They're trying to replace the Tuck Wagon. Whasswrongwithdat?

For what he brings, it's a good salary. I do wish we had a sucke---um, another team ready to absorb John Wall's contract, but alas, that news is yet forthcoming.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'm mixed on Theis for four years. Is this our MLE?

As long as it's on a team friendly and tradable deal, then fine. But meh at the player.

This move would be about 24 to 26 and his role as a back up center. Not exactly panty dropping stuff, but I dont think it hurts us.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't have to be our MLE. We have a TE worth $8M from the Victor Oladipo trade.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even if Rockets sign Theis, I still want to bring in Harry Giles.

6'10 with 7'3 wingspan.

Extremely bouncy energy player who rebounds and passes high level.

Only 23.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll look forward to hearing the reasoning behind making Theis the number one target.

vator, D-rock and CHAMPBOY like this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not even sure I like Wood at C. I felt that Olynyk was a great addition to the frontcourt, relieving Wood from having to play C full-time, and Olynyk's not even a notable defender. Wood/Garuba at PF and Theis/Sengun at C until the young guys are ready to start are fine with me. I don't think acquiring Theis hurts flexibility. He can start, he can be a reserve, he can be traded. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Theis is also an international player that can mentor the young guys from overseas.

baller4life315 likes this.
  9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I’m all for some lineup experimentation, especially if Silas is willing to come off of his position that Wood is mainly a C.

I just don’t want Theis taking minutes away from Sengun. Sengun is ready to play now, and for a team on a rebuild, I’m ready for all of the growing pains that accompany rookies playing heavy minutes. Garuba, also, if/when he is ready.

If you can make it work with Wood/Sengun/Garuba/Theis manning the 4/5, this definitely gets my blessing. It just involves some shuffling around that defies where parties involved typically play their minutes (Wood, Theis at PF). A wild card is Sengun getting minutes at PF, though I have a hard time imaging that right now.

D-rock and MrButtocks like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

#170 D-rock, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's okay. He will retain trade value, at the end of the season as long as his contract is not high.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sengun can come off the bench, until he gains sufficient confidence. I do understand your concern with Theis and him. We do need experience as well.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Pretty much all I've been saying through this entire thread...

Thanks @The Cat !

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Now this I can get on board with... this kid was buried on the Kings depth chart (like many players with talent) and hadn't received a legitimate chance to solidify his role on an ever woeful Sacramento squad and is now doing the same on the Portland roster.

I was REALLY hoping we would find a way to acquire him at this past seasons deadline but he went untraded. His passing skills are probably his best attribute so he could have (very small, extremely small) possibly turned into our new and younger version of KO if the trade would have been for him instead of Kelly.

His man-to-man defense is what needs to improve drastically. If it doesn't he could find himself out of the league within the next few years.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.