1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prodigy08, Aug 2, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

[​IMG]

This is tough, we need vets. Avery bradley sad the exact thing we needed that his job is now to develop kpj last year...we declined his team option

Kelly was such a gem, great locker room, great on the court...has seen a lot of scenerios he can guide our young guys....and we let him go for nothing, makes the oladipo trade that more ridiculous L for houston

And for 11 million no less...thats easy for us to matcch, thats easy for us to TRADE
    So contract wise, I could see us getting another first or protected first this season or next for him

another missed opportunity...for some dough for the owner, congrats @tinman, you can say your schitk...Kelly ain't going to bring us a title;)

TimDuncanDonaut and Williamson like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's not a restricted free agent. We have no right to match. He gets to pick where he wants to go.

3. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Disappointing but expected.

4. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I'm going to miss this guy dominating during those times we want to lose lol.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I remember saying I didn't think re-signing KO would be a priority and people acting like I was crazy. But surprise surprise! It wasn't a priority.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Their revenge for us signing Wood.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm not entirely sure we didn't offer him that money. I was saying it in the season, 10M for another team is 15M for the Rockets. We probably had to massively surpass the offer to get him to stay.

8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We gonna miss you O. You went a long ways to making the end of last season bearable.

FrontRunner likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Hell yes!!! So happy not having to see that mug anymore. He's a good player, but man I couldn't watch a game with him on the court lol.

10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I get it... but... why the Pistons over the Rox?? unless he was not offered by Htown

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Damn I bet that’s pretty close what we’re gonna pay theis.

12. DonatelloLimestone

we had his bird rights.

I'd still take him at 15 and he'd still be tradeable too rather then lose for nothing

we took the risk, i supsect we knew it bc we targeted expirings. If we had levert, we could trade him for a first this offseason with no pressure, landry shamet just got traded for a first.

so in the end, its a nother subtle money situation that doesn't make the headlines so some dudes here just say it wont make us win, why spend. Suspiscious how their main goal is an owners finances, I get when it affects our teams future flexiblity and assets, but all too often these moves dont

not big deal, we're young were rebuilding but its a pattern. We can get away wit hit bc we can get cheap vets to do that job and our team still is in the tank so continue upward and oneward with our young fellas...

thanks for your time kelly, refreshing when we needed it.

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Enjoyed Kelly while he was here and wish we would have resigned him, but F-it we're getting The Germanator (Theis) who will be a much bigger defensive addition than keeping KO. With Jalen Greeeeeen and Alpi Sengun onboard we'll likely need more defense.

KO ended up like that girlfriend we had one summer, it was great for 3-months, but we all had to move on. Bye Kelly O, hope enjoy Dirtroit.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  14. anchel

anchel Member

Sengun is his substitute. Like him but we need a different profile. Theis will complement better our other bigs.

CXbby likes this.
  15. defyoppression

I will miss him more than Harden and Paul combined.

PuzzledFan likes this.
  16. varughese.arun

Asset?

He is replaceable for less.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm really sorry to see him go. I was hoping we'd be able to keep Kelly both for what he did on the court, and his influence on what has become a very young team.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We probably didn't want Olynyk to stay. He wasn't going to get as many shots with the team being handed to KPj and Green and Wood.

Needed a more physical presence who could play off the ball and do the dirty work.

I dunno if Theis is the answer, but keeping KO would have been asking him NOT to do the things he is best at and to try and do the things he is worst at.

It was fun Olynyking

Patience likes this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The man the legend Kelly Olynyk….:(
    @Os Trigonum

…….
    …….
    …….

DeBeards likes this.
  20. thekad

thekad Member

If contending wasn’t on Olynyk’s radar - and obviously it wasn’t signing with the Pistons - why lose his bird rights for nothing?