1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KPjr put up 20 & 10 this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 31, 2021.

?

Will KPjr put up 20 & 10 this year?

1. Yes

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

College games are shorter, slower paced, with less spacing and thus lower scoring is too be expected.

Green was 19 when the g league games started, same as Kenyon Martin Jr and averaged the same 17 points per game in the g league that Green did.... should we be expecting him to be a superstar next year too?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Any disadvantages in scoring output from college is more than made up for when half your competition are never going to play pro ball a single day in the their life who are going to be future accountants and high school gym coaches.

Like the gap in talent college vs G-league is extraordinary on top of the three point line difference.

Also there is a 10% pt difference in true shooting percentage between Green and KJ. That's multiple tiers of separation in scoring efficiency.

That's huge. And on top of that, teams concentrated on Green as the primary scoring threat unlike KJ who probably got a lot of open looks.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not the history though. Plenty of players increase their scoring from college to the NBA due to additional spacing, faster pace, and longer games.

4. fchowd0311

That's not the history?

You know Jalen Green is like the first of his kind? He turned 19 btw the day before the tournament started. KJ Martin is a full year and one month older than Green and they played in the same tournament. And a full year is massive at that age as players make significant jumps during those years.

Ya there really isn't history of 18 and 19 year olds straight out of high school averaging 18 ppg on 60% ts in their first year of pro ball in the G-league. So you nor I have some precedent to point to.

We only have speculation such as the G-league having infinity better talent. Every G-league player would be a top 3 main option in d1 ball.

#104 fchowd0311, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

20 and 10 (ASSISTS AND REBOUNDS COMBINED)

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. MadRox

MadRox Member

I voted no because 10 assists hard to achieve, also Green/KPJ will be fighting minutes with Wall/Gordon

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's not the history, for example, Karl-Anthony Towns was a 10 points per game scorer in college to go on to be an 18 points per game scorer his rookie year in the NBA.

Tyrese Haliburton scored 15.2 points per game his final year of college to go on to average 15.7 in his first season in the NBA.

It's just not uncommon for players to score more in the NBA than in college due to the longer, faster paced games with considerably more spacing.

You don't see players coming from the G league immediately scoring more in the NBA than in the G league because their numbers aren't artificially deflated by shorter, slower paced games with less spacing.....it's the same type of game, just with no talent.

As to Jalen Green being "the first of his kind"....I mean, sort of, but that's making a distinction without a difference. There's been plenty of 19 year old kids in the NBA, hell there's been 18 year old kids in the NBA before. While he's by far the most hyped prospect coming from the G league, that doesn't substantively change the calculus though. We know how G league performance translates to the NBA.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Scoot already notched 6 assists per game in his first full time PG duty last year. On a team devoid of talent and with sketchy shooting.

If next years squad can hit open shots then Scoot will get 10 assists per game. He may not reach 20ppg because I dont really see him as a score first guard like others. When I watch him play I see a guy who likes to set up teammates and takes pride in passing. With everyone fighting for minutes on what looks to be an offensive minded team at the guard position I dont see enough PT to go around for any 20/night scoring from the guards. I think Wood will be the only 20ppg guy next year for this team.

hakeem94 and Plowman like this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Exactly, his assist number could approach 10 if Wood is healthy and Green scores in the 20ppg range. But those rising assist numbers could also lower his scoring a bit, so 20/6 or 18/8 both sound realistic. 20/10 would raise him to all-NBA level stats.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

We've only seen low level prospects at 18 and 19 in the G-league before because all the high level prospects before did one and done in D1. Therefore that means when they do go to the NBA, they aren't going to be getting the minutes necessary to score more because they've never had that burden of high level draft pick with expectations.

All those college players you mentioned were high lottery picks meaning that when they joined their NBA team, they were already getting high usage rates due to expectations put on them.

You can't use the argument of "no talent" when the worst G-league player would be a top player in D1 basketball.

So yes, Green is someone that has no precedent as no lottery level prospect went straight to G-league. At 19 he already showed ability to take a high volume of contested bad 3pt attempts at near 37%. That alone shows great promise in translating well into the NBA.

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

21.7ppg/7.9ast/3.1rb

prophetic, Yule C

12. fchowd0311

Can I also suggest something. You invest enough time here for me to assume you care about this.

You are pegging yourself too much into a hole of hating Green before he steps foot onto a NBA court where if he does really well, you won't be able to enjoy it on this message board because everyone is going to **** talk you. You won't be able to enjoy those fun moments with Green on this message board. I don't know if that's something you care about or not but I think it's worth mentioning.

xaos and steddinotayto like this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea stop pegging yourself too much!

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe Porter can get 20 points a game with Wall and Gordon there. Last year, there were many times he could reach 20 points but his 3 point shooting and his free throw shooting was very bad. He has to be a STAR for our team or this organization is in trouble and then we need to lose like we did last year for another star. The third year is always important in most pro player careers.
    Porter's first year he average 10 points a game
    Porter's second year he average 16.6 points a game and 6.3 assist
    This is the 3rd year either he will plateaued and just average 15 or 15 points a game or grow and become a real player and average over 20 points a game. I would be shock if he does not average 20 points a game this year. Also, he might be able to average 8 assist a game if Wall is not around because Wall is going to get his....

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The belief that I hate Green simply because I'm being the voice of reason amongst zealots is obviously inaccurate. I hope the kid does well. If he proves me wrong and comes out of the gate being prime Michael Jordan like his fans believe, I'll be thrilled.

As to randoms talking ****, it doesn't concern me. I've been living rent free in the minds of several posters here for many years now. Those aren't the kinds of people I take seriously or concern myself with.

The thing about **** talk is that it's unlikely to be effective if it's inaccurate and you don't in any way respect the people it comes from.

The way I look at it, I'd rather hold on to my integrity and give my honest opinion and play the voice of reason even if it ruffles the feathers of emotionally unstable fanbois.

Also..... if I'm wrong, do you really think it would be the first time?

If I was never wrong about a prospect, I'd be in an NBA FO. I'm typically right more than I'm wrong.... and that's awesome, but I'm just a fan, I've never pretended otherwise.

#115 Bobbythegreat, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  16. fchowd0311

This is what I mean by the hate. You are fueling your hate with absurd strawmen. I've not witnessed a single person claim he's prime Michael Jordan as a rookie. What? Who says this outside of being sarcastic?

Voice of reason is saying his ceiling is a more athletic Beal. You hound that he's nothing more than a G-league scrub. Like you just go into extremes to make your point and which eventually harms any point you are attempting.

Just like with any high lottery pick there are people very exited and with that comes high expectations. Just understand that.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We have people in this very thread claiming he'll be taking 20 shots per game.....as a 19 year old rookie, on a team where he could very possibly be coming off the bench.

My point is that the expectations should be more realistic based on his g league performance which was nothing special and the fact that he's potentially losing time and touches to guys like Wall, KPJ, and Gordon who are all ahead of where he is right now as a player.

People should feel free to be excited, I just ask they stay somewhat realistic.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

20 points 10 assists over a full season has only been done 31 times since the league's inception ?

20 with 10 rebounds is much more common ..... not the same as 10 assists.

groovemachine likes this.
  19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

True 20 points, 10 assists is 'MVP conversation' level for sure.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. BonziWellsGOAT

That's it?

groovemachine likes this.