1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was hanging out with my ER doc friend last night and if I heard him right he said that 60-70% of the nurses are out currently with Delta infections and they were vaccinated. He said he did a recent antibody test and his were still strong but he was ready to take a booster shot whenever.

Cokebabies and B-Bob like this.
  2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

That's absurd man. Wow. 60-70% of just E.R. nurses ? or all?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's also the earliest vaccinated group of people, data is pointing at the efficacy (against infection) declining sharply about 4+ months after vacination

Medical workers also amongst the first vaccinated as well obviously

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you -- hadn't thought about it from that perspective. I'm just past four months myself.
    Looks like I picked a bad year to stop sniffing glue.

Kim and robbie380 like this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Seventy percent of U.S. adults have had at least one shot of a Covid vaccine, according to data published Monday by the CDC, about a month behind President Joe Biden’s Fourth of July goal.

Covid-19: Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy declined from 96% to 84% four months after second dose, company reports

Booster rolling out in England by Sept.

Amiga likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Here is the article on the Pfizer vaccine efficacy decline from 96% to 84%.

Covid-19: Pfizer vaccine’s efficacy declined from 96% to 84% four months after second dose, company reports | The BMJ

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine’s efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 peaked at 96.2% at seven days to two months after the second dose and then declined to 83.7% at four months, a preprint from Pfizer has reported.1

The preprint, which contains the latest data from the original clinical trial, found an average decline in vaccine efficacy of 6% every two months.

malakas likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Any intel on if those nurses were out because they tested positive and felt fine vs felt sick?

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Where did you move to out of curiosity?

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Is the decline due to the vaccine waning or is the decline due to Delta being more contagious, or is it just more data? Also...84% is still really good.

Other note: CDC had a paper that showed J&J efficacy INCREASED over time, from 62% to 77%. In fact, J&J vaccines seem to show continued increases over time.

#11810 Supermac34, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

That seems crazy, but it may be like other situations where one person comes down sick, so they test everybody and they find that they are infected asymptomatically. So the vaccine is doing its job, but since they are positive and work in a hospital, they have to stay home.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He didn’t say that they were doing badly. I think it was more along the lines of like when a team comes down with a covid outbreak but no one is particularly sick because they are vaccinated.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Initially I thought maybe Delta but the study was around Jan through April with 75% of the cases from the US and the rest around the world... as usual, preliminary and there is somewhat a conflict of interest (Pfizer study showing need for Pfizer booster)...

I saw that about J&J but haven't had the time to read it yet.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm in Toronto now. The vaccination rate here in Canada is around 80% of all eligible people (12 and up) have at least one shot which translates to around 70% of the total population having at least one shot. And on top of that, in Ontario there is still a mask mandate, social distancing requirements, capacity restrictions, etc.. Ontario as a whole averages less than 200 cases a day and on the whole people are far more serious about Covid here than anywhere in the US. Schools and daycare in particular have much stricter protocols for Covid than any state in the US.

We were toying around with moving for a while but we had the opportunity and just went ahead and did it.

B-Bob, malakas and TWS1986 like this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Bye, Felicia

16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Nice man, good for you. I wouldn't mind living in the great North one day.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nice. I don't think I could do Toronto, but maybe Vancouver.
    But too late for that now, lol.

I work remote so have briefly thought about just doing a year "abroad" and leasing in some other US state that isn't so moronic when it comes to the pandemic.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

20. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

How?!? Through your pediatrician? Or does CVS/Walgreens/etc not verify birthdates for minors? Our 11.5 yo is also adult-sized and we are dying to get him vaccinated.