1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future debate : Christopher vs Grimes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 1, 2021.

?

Will the Rockets regret getting Christopher over Grimes ?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    61.2%
  3. They will end up even

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I disagree completely. You don't waste first round picks on appeasing a star player, that's what an end of the bench signing is for. The goal of first round picks is to find the best talent that will contribute. If Green is the competitor he's supposed to be he'd be happier having quality players around him rather than a buddy for the main purpose of comradery. Maybe JC is good enough to serve both purposes, I certainly hope so.

Also, while I'm all aboard the Green train he has yet to prove he's a superstar worth catering to at all. If Philly drafted or signed players to make Markelle Fultz happy it would have been a bigger disaster for them than that pick already was.

2. DonatelloLimestone

I disagree, the goal of the 24th pick is eitehr use it as an asset to get talent, or get and find talent. In fact stone has showed last year he specializes in the sleepers. At hte top of the draft, most of the prospects are known and we know where they are projected, at the bottom its open and also ripe to make special finds, which he did with Tate, KM.

Remember giannis's brother was signed, for the minimum and was a dleague player... you dn't have to waist assets. Nets got the stars guys on the payrol as staff, so do the lakers...that part can be done without waisting prescious picks. So we definitely need to keep green happy, but winning works better than anything else frankly. And we shouldn't make the same mistakes we made with harden, we offered him 100 million for 2 years despite hte leaks of him being terrible for the cutlure, he didn't take the moeny and showed thats not his bottom line. Maybe just how Lebron left, MJ demanded help, kobe demanded help or a trade...when they reach this level, they want to win like the other owners are supporting their stars

We need to get green those right vets, right role players that make his job easier and let him be the best rather than what we did with harden was making his job harder, putting more weight on him, AND THEN blaming him publicly....you can get bet your bottom dollar that he will leave then, just like davis left, anthony davis left, or really any other star would leave bc frankly anotehr franchise is going to treat them much better than that in this rich league.

Get you a vet who who your young star talks about like this:

3. DonatelloLimestone

This too. Right on getting quality with picks and right that Green still ha to prove himself, right now hes a whole lot of hipe. The kid is still 19. I'm expecting an ifficient 14-20 from him before all star break and then kick up efficiency after the break with a little experience and hopefulyl to the moon next year. We'll have exciting moments but he still has a lot to grow into and he a rookie. usually they spend the first year learning, then establishing themselves, gives us plenty of time by year 3/4 to see whats the right fit for him.

We're ahead of the pack bc Tate, KMJ really can fit any star and they bring that Green/Tucker/ariza toughness in role players that stars love to play with, don't tell @tinman, he thinks role players are worthless...stars are the only thing that matters, he got his basketball education from the JUMP espn university and professor Rachel Nichols and Ass professor Steven A smith. so don't worry

4. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Josh Christopher is more of a fast break athletic guy with potential as a defender. Grimes is more of a shooter.

Idk who ends up being a better NBA player but Christopher was better for this young team that's going to run a lot of fast breaks.

Neither will be that important of a player 5 years from now.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This dude's tape was legit, first 5 star recruit for Arizona State since 'James Harden'

His buddy is legit.

6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

vator and tinman like this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not questioning JC's potential to be a good player. Smoothie said that JC's only real job is to get Green to sign a max extension four years from now, that the goal isn't for him to make the rotation or become a starter. And if JC does that alone he'll get another contract too. I expect more than that.

1) The Rockets should try to find the best player available at #24, not just one that makes Green happy.
    2) We don't know if Green will be worth a max contract extension in four years.
    3) If JC hasn't cracked the rotation in four years, he doesn't deserve another contract just because Green signed an extension.

I personally think JC has upside and am fine with the pick. If JC becomes a starting caliber player AND he's good friends with Green then great. I am not fine with saying his ONLY job is to be Green's friend.

tinman likes this.
  8. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

This

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dont give JOF a bad name now.

tinman and vator like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm glad he's not friends with Trevor Ariza or Chandler Parsons
    @Os Trigonum

BossHogg713 likes this.
  11. vator

vator Contributing Member

I liked Springer too. The only thing that worried me about him though is his athleticism. He almost always jumps off of 2 feet. Watch the videos. Not just a 2 foot dunker, but even his layups. Sometimes that is a good thing if you’re trying to power through a guy for a strong finish, but he almost always defaults to that for some reason even when an explosive 1 footed takeoff would probably be a better choice. I like his game though.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL dude needs to stop the "Houston we got a problem" stick. Also, funny...thinking of Alp, he was like...and they got one more :D - didn't even know the name. I hope that will change quickly.

But he certainly seems to be a character. Extrovert.

Am I the only one who thinks he looks a bit like Charles Oakley?

Nook likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I'm a huge Grimes fan, but Christopher is the better pick for our situation. Grimes is ready to contribute now off the bench for a good team, but we are not going to be a good team for at least a few years.

YOLO and Nook like this.
  14. StevieCrossover

When you have a chance to draft jalen green's homeboy, you draft his homeboy. Cant have a disgruntled future star

BossHogg713 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I love you brother.....

But how does Grimes not seem like an NBA caliber player?

He is 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan and a good frame, he is a good athlete with strong defensive instincts that plays hard and can already hit 3's and finish inside. He isn't going to ever be a star because of his handle, but there is no reason he cannot become a good role player at the NBA.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

The Knicks fans are really happy

oh wait for it..
    @Os Trigonum

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just my instincts going off his profile as a player

He shot 41% on 2P FG's this season which is pretty abysmal for a 3rd year guy whos supposed to NBA-caliber wing. His 3PT shot was much improved this season but he was a meh shooter his two previous seasons, same for his FT shooting, not quick or explosive for his size just an okay athlete.

So inconsistent shooting, poor finisher at the rim, mediocre athlete is what I see

Defense could make or break him at the next level, he was good at the college level but who knows if it transfers with quicker and stronger NBA players.

If he can hold his own on D, and become a consistent shooter then obviously he could become an NBA-caliber player, but my instinct is that most players with that kind of profile will be fringe role players and out of the league without major growth and improvement... which he could have who knows.

Nook likes this.
  18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Grimes had a better standing and max vertical leap than Christopher.

groovemachine likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Grimes has a higher floor and can impact NY as they try to win a playoff matchup. Christoper has fairly large potential. These comments about him being drafted to secure Green signing an extension or even just implicating that we drafted him JUST because he is friend of Green is crazy. He obviously has a lot of potential.

HTXSportsAddict and vator like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Given the diamonds in the rough Stone was able to find in Tate and KJ last year I’d say he deserves the benefit of the doubt on the Josh Christopher pick. I was dismayed because he wasn’t on my radar but to me it was clear that after Garuba, there wasn’t an obvious pick. Time will tell if Grimes is the better nba player, but Stone’s got a good track record so far identifying young talent that other teams have overlooked.