1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaxson Hayes arrested after brawl with police

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 28, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@gucci888
    This definitely Shaka’s fault

2. JW86

JW86 Member

3. Buck Turgidson

No, it does not. Police will always, as they should, do a welfare check on all parties involved in any domestic call.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. VoR

VoR Member

And that’s why people die from being SWATed. The police have no business taking average day to day affairs into life or death situations. Ever.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You won’t agree, but you would be wrong. The difference today is that the vast majority of people carry a video camera, with audio, in their pocket. No one did back then. Bystanders didn’t and the idea that they could or that cops might have video cameras attached to their uniforms and cars would have been laughed at as a crazy idea straight out of science fiction. Cellphones didn’t exist, the internet didn’t exist. It was a different, and in so many areas, worse world than the world you live in today. Believe it or not.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Back in those days cops had a special hanger on their utility belts for onions.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed! More to the point, some had “clean” revolvers in the trunk of their cruiser, “throw downs” for those times when they put a bullet into an young unarmed Black or Latino they pulled over who expressed displeasure at being stopped for simply driving down the road, and those throw downs were used far too often.

HPD began to change when a White teenager was killed on the side of the Gulf Freeway and one of the cops dropped a “clean” pistol next to the body. The uproar over that when the truth came out, an uproar not matched when a minority was involved, had a big impact.

DaDakota and clos4life like this.
  8. H.D.

H.D. Member

I thought it was the white guy they shot in front of his own house in Bellaire.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought this was what you looked like 50 years ago:
    [​IMG]

:D

Deckard and i3artow i3aller like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was a different instance. It certainly added to the pressure to reform the department, not that great changes occurred right away. The teenager I mentioned was shot on the side of the Gulf Freeway, not terribly far from Broadway and Park Place. Between there and where the freeway starts to curve past Gulfgate. That's what I recall, anyway. It's in the general area where I grew up, which was off Reveille.
    Oh, that’s me after a trim. Not too shabby, I guess.

;-)

Easy likes this.
  11. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Using one variable (cellphones) to come to your conclusion and justify that police brutality isn't as bad as it used to be becasue that is what you want to belive is willully ignorant. If you'd back off your blind blue line support and looked at the issue objectively you'd see how wrong you are.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You responded to a post about a welfare check and turned it into SWAT or "life or death situations". That escalated quickly. Did the cops kill Jaxson Hayes?

Let's say a dude is actually beating his wife and her life is in danger (or in rare cases vice versa). Adrenaline is running rampant in those situations. Anger, bitterness. Long-term thinking is not present in the perpetrator by definition in that situation. What is your proposed solution?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

Different levels of protocols. Deescalation training. Know the difference between an anonymous or neighbor call. Many factors.

My neighbors were screaming at each other in the street one night with about eight people involved. Cops showed up later and asked me if I knew which house it was. I said, if they didn’t call the cops on themselves, I reckon they don’t need you.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He said cell phones, dash cams, body cams, etc. Police brutality is always wrong but are you really trying to claim cops are worse against minorities today than they were decades ago? That fails even on a common sense level. It’s not “blind blue line support” to say there are good cops mixed in with terrible ones. There’s nothing objective about saying everyone in a given profession is a bad person

JumpMan likes this.
  15. homewight

I'm not saying poice behovior is worse today. I guess they publically lynch the innocent anymore. The police still shoots people in the back regularly. They still plant evidence regularly. They still lie in their written reports regualrly. When one is fired for such behavior, they lie about their past at the next department they apply to. And you can't say that it's just one bad apple when one cop shoots an innocent black man, and the whole department proactiviely helps cover it up. That's the main reason most cops are bad. They know the behavior is bad but hey do nothing to stop it and help cover it up. That is common sense.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope you will continue to post regularly.

17. homewight

Unfortunately, I can't. I have a life.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Goes to show you that not everything we see and hear is so cut and dry, right vs. wrong, bad vs. good. Sometimes both parties are in the wrong and sometimes both parties are in the right or somewhere in the middle. We always want to paint people or situations with these polarizing labels that fit our narratives when in actuality it likely a gray area that many young people aren't used to.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If the cops don't release video you know they are probably guilty.

vlaurelio likes this.