1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

future draft picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2022 - Two most favorable of HOU, BRK and MIA 15-30 then other to MIA (via HOU swap of HOU or BRK for MIA)

2023 - Own or swap for BRK; MIL

2024 - 1-4 Own; 5-30 to OKC; BRK

2025 - 1-10 Own or swap for BRK; 11-30 Own or swap for BRK if HOU 11-30 is less favorable than LAC; or more favorable of (i) BRK and (ii) less favorable of HOU 11-30 and OKC; and more favorable of HOU 11-30 and OKC to OKC; and least favorable of HOU 11-30, OKC and BRK to BRK if HOU 11-30 is more favorable than LAC (via OKC swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; via HOU swap of HOU or OKC for BRK)

2026 - 1-4 Own; 5-30 to OKC; BRK

2027 - Own or swap for BRK

2028 - Own

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

Honestly, 2025 is just too complicated for this old man to comprehend. But I'm seeing two picks next year, two picks in 2023, and at least one pick (with the possibility of two picks) in 2024. That is some capital.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Makin’ it rain with draft capital.
    upload_2021-8-1_15-19-19.gif

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

OKC Faints

jch1911 likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

By the way, this thread emphasizes why I’m surprised when people still want to trade away current assets for future draft picks. We just drafted four guys in the first round and have five or six FRPs over the next three years. How much more draft capital do we need?

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Basically we still have 2 seasons to tank for a lottery picks, we need to make use of it.

Afterwards, it'll be difficult to tank without gambling if it goes to OKC.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Use that Milwaukee pick as a sweetener to get rid of Gordon or wall because it’s not that valuable at the moment. Milwaukee will contend for the next 4 years

conquistador#11 and BigggReddd like this.
  7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Basically we need to hope that in 2 years, we are really good and Brooklyn is really bad

BossHogg713 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

we need a high lotto pick in this upcoming draft

2022 top 5 pick

[​IMG]

9. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Jalen Green is too good.He is ready to devastate the league after a year of g league.

If we get top 5 pick then it will be us jumping in lottery from like 12,13, or 14 to the top 4

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Stone said, draft picks are the most easily tradable assets.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love your optimism and enthusiasm but I will be shocked if we aren't a bottom 4 worst team in the league. Jalen Green could average 25 a game and we will still suck.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

Jalen Green is unlikely to average 20 ppg for a variety of reasons. Chief among them is lack of minutes. At this point he is going to be fighting with Gordon/KPJ/Christopher for time. I could see him averaging 25 minutes or so until Gordon is moved. I think an efficient 12-15 ppg is realistic given the situation for Green. The only team I feel confident about saying the Rockets are better than is OKC. And that is even slightly tenuous with SGA and Kemba already proven to be above average to good players. The Rockets will have an exciting season but not a successful one if success is measured by wins and losses. I expect a 5-10 pick (and then the Miami pick around 20) in next year's draft.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. I'm hoping to see him average a relatively efficient 15 ppg his rookie campaign. I'd consider that a huge success. But even if we wildly exceeded all expectations and averaged 25 and was in the running for the scoring title, we'd still suck. Our team is just too young. Young teams don't win. That's just a fact.

sydmill likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would say a 1-8 pick is a more realistic range than 5-10. I would like to see someone (I'm too lazy) at the beginning of the season average out the age of the top 10 players on each team. The Rockets would have like be the lowest and no higher than the lowest 3 I presume. They will lose A LOT.

sydmill likes this.
  15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Most likely they will contend for awhile but keep in mind the 2023 draft may include high schoolers AND one and done NCAA players and G-league ignite players. Not sure if this has changed or not as I did see where Woj says this is not likely before 2025 but it is interesting that Stone wanted the 2023 Milwaukee pick instead of 2022. I like the idea of having 2 picks in 2022 and 2 picks in 2023. Lebron's son will be in the 2023 draft so don't be surprised if that is when the NBA makes this change.

Gordon will likely be easy to trade this season once he proves he is healthy and Wall will likely be in street clothes most of the season and could still be dumped this year or next seeing all the crappy contracts that just got handed out. No need to give up assets to get rid of either of them.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Basically by 2024, if we will keep our pick, then either Tilman should sell this franchise or at least he should fire everyone currently being employed by the Rockets.

17. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member