1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This should be our Next Move!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jul 30, 2021.

1. bigreg

bigreg Member

I want to see Wood improve here in small increments, but not enough to raise our draft pick potential beyond the top 3-5. Because much like Cunningham this year, if Holmgren or Banchero become the consensus #1 pick with the talent and skill level they have, there is nothing we can offer to move up to #1 without killing the team long term. And honestly, as much as I like those two guys, I think having the #1 pick in 2023 is the more important pick to have because Victor Wenbenyama is gonna be better than Holmgrem and Banchero. Including the year we just had, the Rockets need to commit to a 3 year rebuild in order to have a potential dynasty well into the mid 2030's, if they continue to draft well and develop talent.

Trackwell likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

???

saleem likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thats what you saying right? Rox should go and compete for playoffs 1 year after getting the 2nd pick.

In Memphis' case, that would be after they got 2nd pick JJJ.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

2023 I believe OKC owns our pick again.

I dont wanna tank and bet it on a 50-50 again. If we lost that 50-50 tbis year we would picking no 18. Imsgine intentionally tanking and then picking no 18.

#164 roslolian, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Trackwell likes this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I just feel like trading one of if not the only guy who is not just contractually but voluntarily playing basketball for the Rockets is not it

Trackwell and D-rock like this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I love Christian Wood, but unless we take a major leap in 22-23, we are wasting his talent and value. He’s a great player. Just not sure his window and our window align at all

7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

You make it sound like Wood is 35! You want to experiment with the draft while an existing young player (25 years NBA ready) in Wood can give you 20-10 on daily basis? I do not see the logic here. If Wood can stay away from injuries then he is very much valuable for this team.

I do not really see a reason to tank anymore either if Green and KPJ develop into solid star-type players while Wood/Tate/Alperen develops as strong supporting players. Hell people even say Alpren has star capability.

Diluting the entire team with young unproven talent is not a good idea either. Everyone will try to shine individually for an eventual big payday then. Some veteran leadership presence will help our young players develop.

#167 Magicsaint, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    cmlmel77, D-rock and anchel like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Brooks didn't quite break the barrier imo. He has to give us some better defense, and I think he has it in him.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Mathloom

You mean if, optimistically, Green is putting up 30/6/6 with passable defense in year 3, you wouldn't want to have the bird rights to a big man who can attack the basket, shoot from 3, move well laterally, provide some help defense and rebound? Come on. I think it's not a big deal if we keep Wood, or even if we lose him as long as it opens us a max cap slot without his QO.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

stop with the penny pinching

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

What an inane, idiotic response. What you mean is that no team that's tanked for 5 years has ever become a contender, so you're ignoring all the evidence that your strategy is ****. That's called confirmation bias, it doesn't make you right, just ignorant.

12. Landry's Tooth

Wood makes our young guys better. You want to clog the paint for Green and Porter?

And your premise that Wood isn't a max guy isn't relevant. He's not one now but he's not a free agent either. If he performs really well, maybe he is... if he doesn't you're not resigning him anyways. If in between you can deal him later...

Draft picks are no better than 50/50 in the lottery... the picks you get are unlikely to net a player as good as Wood...

Magicsaint, Trackwell and cmlmel77 like this.
  13. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

I think with the off-season he will develop his game more into a 3/D type of guy

14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I just prefer different value

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No one guaranteed that this was enough talent... none of us really know and most likely, it isn't.

If we end up with another set of tank generals on our hands (in the rooks) great! Perfect! We can make a claim for one of the top picks in the upcoming draft, but we have talent and will most likely be able to tank organically... not send out Wall and EGo to command the tank machine full throttle.

Let these kids learn what it feels like to lose and then from those lessons, and whatever other talent is added in the near future, learn to win. It's not like we're saying that we are going to compete for a near playoff soon... apparently that is your assumption if you think we'll end up with pick 15 in your last post.

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

it’s not penny pinching. I loved the idea of Wood with Harden. He’s still a great player. But we have to assume that he’s worth a near max deal in two years while we figure the rest of the roster out.

we seem to put too much faith in KPJ. At the end of the day he’s a talented kid who had one of the best performances by a young player ever, but was overall average and inefficient for most of the season. He could be a star, or he could be Brandon Jennings

big picture - trading Wood now could put in a position to get a player of his caliber on a rookie deal

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

he’s a spectacular player. I was thrilled when we got him on such a cheap deal (I Predicted 4/60 or higher). He may just waste his prime while we figure the rest out. Bigs like him often peak in late 20s and become albatrosses in early 30s. We don’t want to be stuck holding that deal while we figure out how to resign the young guys we have now that deserve a max.

its by no means an indictment on Wood. I think he’s phenomenal. But we have to think about 4 years from now when guys like Green are entering their prime.

it’s very possible that Wood is still a prime player in 4 years. But if someone offers you two draft picks and a prospect, you listen

18. Mathloom

He will be at the peak you describe - late 20's - when Green is in his 3rd year. I can't imagine a better fit. It's a strange strategy to prioritize everyone having the same age. You need young guys and vets. Doesn't cost us flexibility at all.

I don't think he's wasting his time here at all, there's still work to do on his defense and health and while our guys are young is a great time to work on it.

hakeem94, Magicsaint and bulkatron like this.
  19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I’m actually just too lazy to respond right now

I’ve been very clear on my stance

I laugh at people like you

For everybody that’s been against my stance what’s your game plan to get to a championship level just competing? lol

Christian wood your leader huh?

20. Rokman

Rokman Member

It's a ridiculous idea to just dump a player because he is a few years older than your other younger "not yet star" players. Just to make a point the Mavericks didn't win with Nowitzki until he was 33 years old. They were just battling it out year after year with squad rotations year after year until they finally got the right players in place to put it all together - just once. Now, I am not making the argument that Wood is Nowitzki, not even close, but if you think he is that talented, which he is slowly becoming (he wont peak that high though), you will want him on your team 8 years from now to be one of the anchors of your team.

I think a lot of posters on here are just fans of other teams who want to see the Rockets suck and come up with ridiculous ideas to just plant seeds in unsuspecting and impressionable minds so they can help them argue their idiotic points. . . . either that or they just aren't thinking at all.

hakeem94 likes this.