1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

If not vaccinated, give it a try.

[​IMG]

Amiga, ThatBoyNick, Kim and 2 others like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What are folks with youngins going to school soon thinking?

i have 3 in elementary school, obviously unvaccinated, and because Abbot is a ****tard, the school can't mandate basically any safety protocols.

Super concerning. Elementary schools were relatively safe last year BECAUSE the kids, at least in my school, had no problems masking and were good about it. The high school on my district, otoh, for obvious reasons with kids that age, had more problems...

TWS1986 and JeeberD like this.
  3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think most parents will send their kids, get vaccinated, and/or do homeschooling if possible. That is if catching the bug is a big concern for them. From what I understand, distance learning will not be funded this year so no district will offer it.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

disappointed that masking isn’t continuing for school, that school staff aren’t required to be vaccinated, that money reserved for school improvement including ventilation was not spent (afaik)…

Barring some other new strain or Delta being much more harmful on kids, my kids are going in person.

5. JayZ750

its not continuing cause Abbott literally signed an executive order restricting it from happening. He thinks it’s time for elementary students to have personal responsibility.

TWS1986, malakas and cheke64 like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

I don't pretend to be on top of anything. You however before making any patronizing posts should make an attempt to become less ignorant.

The vaccines have been proven in studies that reduce significantly the chance of infection.
    The vaccines have been proven in studies that reduce the rate of transmission.

I am too bored to look up the studies yet again. You are free to look in the previous pages to find them or perhaps make your own research on studies before you start spreading misinformation.

As for the comparison with flu and the flu vaccine is also faulty.
    . The flu vaccine has a significantly lower efficacy than any mrna covid vaccine. Not only flu vaccines don't stop all types of flu but they don't even stop for sure the type of flu they were made for.
    Because influenza mutates at much higher rate than covid. The flu vaccines are made for the strain of flu that is prevalent in Australia in summer so very often with bad luck and mutation they are useless to protect against the flu.

But who knows. Maybe if they made a mrna vaccine for the flu it would work much better.
    That's why "not everyone gets the flu vaccine" but flu epidemics still always happen.
    So comparing the importance of vaccines between the flu and covid is wrong.
    Vaccines are much more important and efficient to stop a covid epidemic than an influenza epidemic.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Obviously it'd be better to have access for the full published data

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Delta is so potent that you feel the symptoms within 24hours of being exposed to it and you know that you have it.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm still surprised about that. Last year's picture of covid was that it was some sneaky burglar that could lay low for 2 weeks...MONTHS...then cause symptoms.

Would help on the learning side the technical differences between variants, but still many unknowns.

cheke64 likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My dad more than likely caught covid. He’s fully vaccinated but went in for a pacemaker procedure Wednesday and Friday night started having symptoms. He called me around 11pm with a bad headache then the next morning he said he felt like ****. Talked to my cardiologist friend who said it wasn’t pacemaker related then talked to my ER doc friend who basically said my dad’s symptoms before I could.

He’s stable and improving just exhausted and no appetite. We haven’t done a covid test but there isn’t much else going around.

11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Just letting everyone know I'm still alive after my flights to and from Hawaii :).

12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

my oldest is entering kindergarten this year and I’m scared sh!tless. We live out in west Texas where the vax rate is likely one of the lowest in the state, yet I feel that if I don’t send my kid to school, she’ll be even worse off. It’s truly lose lose.

JeeberD, Kim and B-Bob like this.
  13. JayZ750

Not to influence you one way or the other, but the early grades are relatively "easy" to miss. Which isn't to say they don't need schooling, just the key things they learn in kinder are how to read and basic counting and math... which you could probably teach her in a month or two of dedicated learning at home. Definitely really nice social elements to school obviously.

I have 4. The oldest is 11 but is halfway vaccinated - he has the weight for it so we just went ahead, especially since he's starting middle school.
    The youngest is also entering KG.

Yes, its a lose lose. Ive looked into private, but that would be so expensive for my 4 that itd be cheaper for me to just lease a house in another less crazy state since i can work remotely... which is an insane thing to type.

in person schooling isn't starting so well in Mississippi....
    https://www.wdam.com/2021/07/30/2-lamar-co-high-schools-moving-virtual-learning/

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This may be duplicate/old data, apologies if it is so, been super busy over the last week.

My day job is at a fairly large Houston area hospital system. On Friday they pushed my biggest, system-wide project go-live back a month due to projections of a massive surge from both the CDC and internal Texas Medical Center projections.

The project is the EMR upgrade. I PM it regularly and I call it a freight train because nothing can stop it except a hurricane and now Covid. Postponing is a huge hassle and has big repercussions due to dependency projects that it also stops.

Anyway, I get TMC data that I will start posting here.

Kim, jchu14, adoo and 2 others like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that and hope your dad recovers.

My dad has a pacemaker also and delayed taking the vaccine because he was worried about potential cardiac complications. He's taken them now but he also lives in Hong Kong where COVID-19 numbers are minuscule compared to the US.

robbie380 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not the paranoid type, but the influenza of the 1918-20 pandemic started out as relatively mild and in its second wave mutated to something horrific.

Not saying that will happen here, but people do let their guard down. And make all the excuses in the world not to get a stupid immunization.

And now we're back at my job (at a Fortune 100 company, i.e., big work area) to either working from home or having to wear a mask inside the workspace regardless of vaccination if we choose to go in. YAY! YAY FOR FOX NEWS (all of whose people got vaccinated)! YAY MAGA (Trump got vaccinated but you can't bother telling his supporters).

TWS1986 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did he spread his pill mix, that Maga man........

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This is basically why I moved out of the US for now (along with a few other reasons). We have to plan for school for our son and I don't want to deal with the half-assed covid protocols that states are coming up with for schools. Good luck to you and your kids.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think we'll see a lot of "breakthrough" cases in older people. Anecdotally, most of the breakthrough cases I know of have happened for people in their 80's. (But that's your whole peer group, B-Bob. Yeah, hahaha, losers.)

Kim likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This the same plot of 12 monkeys

Kim likes this.