1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expectations for this year's team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Aug 1, 2021.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes!

OkayAyeReloaded and coachbadlee like this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

My only expectation is for the team to play their asses off and develop their game. I couldn't care if we lost every single game as long as we did so covered in sweat, beaten and bloody and having given it our all. Losing deliberately is weak ass bullshit.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

championship or bust /s

4. kiwirocketsfan

Chemistry, culture and development.

Like others, I want to see hustle and attitude and gradual improvement in ability.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think there is a legit chance we can compete. There are always some surprises with teams at the top that don’t perform as expected. Lakers almost slipped out of the playoffs last season. If some things go our way with other teams, our young guys show out, the other youngins continue to improve, wall doesn’t play to score, and Wood and ego stay healthy I think we can be as high as 4-5th seed.

now that’s asking a lot, but none of the asks are outrageous.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Realistically young teams struggle and we will be no exception, but it will be fun watching guys develop.

Idealistically, before the injuries and we committed to the tank we were looking like an 8 or 9th seed. If the draft made us better we could make the playoffs.

But I'm for being bad for at least one more year, getting another potential star or draft pick and then moving forward.

So I think we'll be a little better (5-10 game improvement) with another high pick pretty much, but with a ceiling of a lower seeded playoff team 6-8th seed. Either way I'm cool with it.

DonatelloLimestone and DaDakota like this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I always believe my squad can shock the world going into the season... when I stop believing that I stop watching. See the Texans.

So going into the season I'll be very hopeful. If/when reality sets in that we suck then I'll adjust my mindset and start looking at guys to develop. Just like last season.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah. Phoenix and even okc last year with cp3 were surprises. We don't have a cp3 but we have other guys that could take a jump forward and Rookies that we don't really know how good (or bad) they'll be.

I just can't go into a season rooting for a team to tank or expecting them to be horrid and still waste time watching them.

I'm hoping this squad surprises people.

Kevooooo likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

10. DonatelloLimestone

I think this team will definitely have those games where we really compete and surprise people. BUt we're a young team and the west is stacked and we hae our pick next year. At least this year we got the new generation to watch develop and begin a new era, so even if we're not in competition we have that and an amazing draft class to look to next year. We're on our way.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Think y'all undervaluing the core.. This is a 35-40 win team on paper... Anything less is an indictment on the coaching staff.... Last year they played hard and stayed in games( down the stretch they came back to make it a game)... And that was with no direction whatsoever... If they end up with a top 5 pick , then that young nucleus we're excited about ain't ****...

12. raspar

raspar Member

About good enough for the 6th pick.

txtodd likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hope they tank again if they mediocre, but having 2 quality starters would definitely raise my spirits.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's not how the NBA works. Experience matters a lot. KD only won 20 games his rookie year. KD in his second year with Russ in his rookie season only won 23 games. The Phoenix core of Booker/Ayton/Bridges won 19 games in 2019 and finished below .500 in their second year. The Rockets finishing as a bottom team next year doesn't mean the young guys aren't good.

lakersuck2, sydmill and DaDakota like this.
  15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Expectations :

- 25-28 wins
    - Silas will be fired
    - KPJ will be traded or just be released after another locker room tirade.
    - Christian Wood will be traded
    - Sengun will win Rookie of the Year

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I have two answers at very different ends of a spectrum.

They hinge on whether John Wall plays or not.

17. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'm down for another high draft pick.

When's the high school players allowed into the draft.

18. txtodd

txtodd Member

I’d be happy if the team can win 1/3 of its games. That’s 27-55, 28-54. Could not win 1/4 of its games last year.

19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The goal is to not suck by the draft where okc has our first. Next year is about development and not the wins and losses. Looking forward to seeing the young players develop, maybe get rid of gordon and wall so after next year rockets have 2 high lottery picks to go with hopefully some cap room to sign another star.

Bring in veterans who understand they are here for the paycheck and for mentoring.

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It was also not the first or 2nd year of playing for any of their key young players