1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Straw's defense is comfortably above average. He gets most of his value on that side of the ball. His defense plus somewhat below average bat still makes for at least a 2nd division starter. Side point, people have speculated that Fangraphs overweights defense in their fWAR calculation but in any event Myles Straw is still a serviceable ML CF starter at some level.

I'm hoping the trade is a rehash of the Ryan Pressly deal. We definitely gave up more present-term assets than the Pressly deal but if they see similar potential, I'm totally on board.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is NOT a suggestion, but just an idea to kick around.

On days where you're trying to squeeze as many left handed hitters into the lineup and with the all left handed Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley lacking defensive skills, could you consider a trial of Alvarez or Brantley at 1B?

Alvarez has the physical tools often sought at 1B. Large Target. Throws Left Handed. Power position. But receiving skills, footwork and range are question marks. It also gives reps to see if he could replace Gurriel there after next season if he decides to retire or go elsewhere. (As long as he's playing like he is now, I'd love to see him extended.).

Brantley may have more ability to make the transition from a quickness point of view and would be a smaller target. He wouldn't be a replacement for Gurriel since they're about the same age.

Anyway, I just thought it's something to throw out there.

Future Lineup (NOT Batting Order) featuring lefties against NL home team:

L LF Brantley or 1B
    L Tucker RF
    L Alvarez 1B of LF
    L Castro C
    S Garcia 3B
    R Altuve 2B
    R (Throws left) Meyer CF
    R Correa SS
    L McCullers P

3. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Alvarez throws with his right hand. Plus, I'm fairly certain they have given him reps in practice, and I'm sure if the Astros thought it was something doable, he would be getting some playing time there. It's just that, even though sometimes it looks like he runs decently on the basepaths, it doesn't seem like he moves well for the ball and doesn't have great baseball instinct.

Now Brantley, I wish we would see that once or twice. He has played there in the past, but it's been a while. But I would only want to see this if Yuli needs a day off and Diaz is being utilized elsewhere for whatever reason.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think this will always be the case as people have a tough time valuing non- spectacular plays. On Straw specifically, I think they are a little higher on his defense that other sources, while other sources value Correa's defense much higher than FanGraphs over the years.

5. Buck Turgidson

Another thing to think about, given that both guys have had leg issues, is that playing the IF is much rougher on your knees than playing the OF

Bregatron likes this.
  6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Deleted.

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. HTXSportsAddict

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Going to be interesting if the Astros call up James. That means Stanek or Taylor would have to go down.

14. ktex

ktex Member

I am legitimately concerned about our starting pitchers. Over the last few weeks, they all are shaky AF- maybe with the exception of LM.

15. ktex

ktex Member

and ****ing Breg pulled from AAA because his hamstrings are ****ed yet again, what is wrong with this guy??

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Taking more time off to sell his salsa...

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bregman’s hamstring is the new Carlos Correa back.

RayRay10, HTXSportsAddict and TWS1986 like this.
  20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You can't count on Bregman to make a contribution this season. He was hot garbage last year and now we have another lost year. This sucks.