1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for this year's team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Aug 1, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are very young, epically young, I mean these guys are only a couple of years past getting their drivers license.

What does that mean? Well, I think it means we are going to temper our expectations about winning, it usually takes young players 3-4 years to learn how to win, to trust that they don't need to do it all late in the game - and thus, you have most games where you are in it for 3 quarters and then the other team pulls away in the last 10 minutes with defense and discipline.

We might actually be WORSE than last year, but with better talent. So patience will be the key.

What we don't have and what could turn this around is solid veteran leadership, a vet that is respected by the team and show the way, but can still play himself, someone like CP3 for Phoenix.

So, unless we have a veteran leader show up - expect this year to be very full of highlight plays - and many many losses.

I suspect we will be right back in the high lottery next year.

GO ROCKETS !

DD

#1 DaDakota, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Williamson, Blatz, roslolian and 10 others like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Trust the process

4. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I expect us to lose a lot but it would be fun to see the development of our young core. Hopefully get rid of dead weight contracts in Wall and Gordon by the deadline if not sooner.

Ramo$e and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

In comparison to last season, I'm actually excited to go and watch the young guns play at TC this coming season.

Richie_Rich, Ramo$e, Rileydog and 5 others like this.
  6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

8th seed at the very least or blow it up again. Tanked to get Green, kpj with another year under his belt and wood is 25/26 and so is tate.
    Kpj needs to show maturity and a winning mentality.
    Wood does too. If not start trading and doing whatever it takes to get the next building block!

Rocket Guy and BigShasta like this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

Nailed it.
    WE have talent
    we got excitement
    I expect these young guys to have some surprise wins with that energy
    but to win in this very, very cocmpetitive league we need teh 'whole picture

and as Ayton has said, paul made the difference for his career. Not just lobs but in practice having the big brother clout he s able to push mobley in ways that very few can and mobley said he did things he didnt think he can do because of paul

we need those type of vets, even if passed their prime but have done things that command respect or careers that do and the young guys will listen, they ll know waht it takes to do it night in and out and not just rely on talent, but as a professional

those things are vital and can shape how the young guys develop every single day.

the new mock drafts for 2022 already have us getting the one seed

the west is tough, most likely were going to have a tough year but not as bad as last year and hopefully it culminates with another 2 pick or star on board to solidify our foundation

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 hustle, they may lose every game for all i care but you need to hustle

2 playing the right way (eg passing the ball around to find the right shot, not just chucking 3pts over the hands of defenders), they may lose every game and i dont care if they do, but the game needs to be played the right way, this is something that is not negotiable

3 playing defense, you may lose every game for all i care but you need to play defense

4 hiring the shooting coaches and each player to work on his shot after or before the regular practices, in this day and age its not acceptable from anyone being paid millions of dollars that he cant shoot, 3pt , FTs, midrange (yes midrange as well, everybody, the centers and guards alike).

5 serious work on creating the chemistry and culture so that players will be able to develop faster and better than other teams players and other teams players will covet our culture and will want to play for rockets even if they need to sign for less money

eliefor3, Rashmon, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2nd round of playoffs.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Growth. Chemistry. Fun.

Also have Garuba elbow Draymond and Lebron. Maybe end the season for them type thing. ;)

good season bruhs.

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

12. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Hovering around .500 and Green wins rookie of the year

javal_lon likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No idea, but we have lots of young exciting talent which is impressive.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Play with maximum effort on both ends of the floor.
    Have a good attitude.
    Have fun.

That's how you establish a culture that other players want to be a part of. That's how you grow.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

1) Development from rookies and young players.

2) One of Wall or Gordon moved.

3) Top ten pick.

eliefor3, txtodd and sydmill like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

This team is more talented the team Francis had his rookie year. With good coaching, this is at worst 32 win team.

I definitely don’t expect another top 5 pick but we should still be in the lottery

javal_lon likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Playoffs???? Playoffs????

18. macan

macan Member

I don't mind going for the lottery just one more time
    can you imagine if we win another no.1/2 pick!

roslolian likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This team could easily be worse than last year, but who cares? It’s going to be fun to watch...

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

can't remember the other thread that I posted this -

even best case scenario I think we have to admit that these teams are better than us (barring injury) going into next year: ATL, BOS, BKN, CHA, CHI, DAL, DEN, GSW, IND, LAC, LAL, MEM, MIA, MIL, NOP, NYK, PHI, PHX, POR, TOR, and UTA.

that means even at our best it is probable that we are getting a top 10 pick next year.

there are also teams way ahead of us in the rebuild and with way more talent on the roster: MIN, SAC, and WAS, all have a star who can win games and organizations who will mistakenly try to win short term.

this makes us likely to receive a top 6 pick again.

finally there are some teams that historically overpay veterans to win meaningless games rather than full out tanking, CLE, DET, and SAS. the Cavs and pistons lost "organically" and then gave in and shut the vets down later in the season. free agency will tell us a lot about their intentions to try to win or to tank.

that puts us in an elite group who not only don't have enough talent to compete, but also know it and are leaning in to the tank: HOU, OKC, ORL.

so that's where I see us - maybe top 3 again (great!), likely top 6, probably top 9 if they don't decide to shut down wall/ego/wood, but I think the will again which means I'm betting on top 6 for sure.

Blatz, Richie_Rich and Corrosion like this.