1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Houston_Rockets

Are you ok? Last out, the entire stadium cheering, the ump probably in a lest´s go home mentality going on, and a guy who just throws fastballs that no one in the league can hit consistently vs 2 guys on, in the 7th, down 3 runs, 1 out against a non closer........hummmmm

The Beard likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You have heard people clamor for closers being used in earlier innings during "tying/winning runs on base" situations.

Don't pretend there was less pressure in the previous situation.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Toothpick had 8 RPs (not counting Pressly) yet he let Garcia finish the 3rd inning. He should of replaced Garcia when he walked Posey on 4 pitches which was the 3rd run. Can't win them all on to the Dodgers let see if Toothy can surprise us with some Ws.

The Beard and Houstunna like this.
  4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You say Toothy, I prefer Picky

bloodwings19 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was hoping to get 4-4 out of this road trip. If we split vs the Dodgers, we can get there. While I really wanted to win this series (SF), I am ok with where we are at.

Kim and raining threes like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And having an ace (or two) also doesn’t guarantee a World Series as 2019 showed.

if you think these guys were getting lucky and getting by with smoke and mirrors when they were going well, I’d share your pessimism. But in the end, each of them has the ability to showcase elite stuff… which is what ends up working out fairly well in the playoffs. Also having fairly healthy and somewhat not overtaxed arms also works well in the playoffs.

I’ll take this rotation, lineup and bullpen over anything they had in last years playoffs... and they were one game away from the WS.

RustyHarden, Kim, Rileydog and 3 others like this.
  9. CinematicFusion

Agree if Framber takes us deep like he did in 2020 with his 1.88 ERA in playoffs. He hasn’t been the same in the last month.
    Need a bad ass pitcher if you want to go deep. Framber was that guy last year.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Maybe he's on his way to to LA! I think he's hitless in his rehab assignment.

Kim likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Need more than just one good pitcher to go far. And possibly some good long relievers. And a lights out closer.

FWIW, even in games Framber has walked everybody, his stuff is still electric when harnessed. Get him over this dead arm period or whatever control issues he’s having sans sticky stuff, and he will further get back to ensuring last year wasn’t a fluke.

LMJ has the elite stuff, experience, and moxy to do well in the playoffs. Ever since his first playoff start in 2015.

Kim likes this.
  12. CinematicFusion

agree… my point is if the Astros starters continue to pitch like they have the last 30 days we won’t go deep in playoffs.
    You are correct. McCullers needs to be the ace and consistently pitch 6-7 innings of 2 run ball.
    We can’t have our starters fading after 5 innings.
    McCullers needs to put on a pitchers display and go deep Tuesday against Dodgers.

TWS1986 and Kim like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You people do realize the Astros’ schedule was front loaded? After the Dodgers series, Astros’ schedule gets much easier the rest of the way. They will be able to get separation from teams behind them. A’s and Mariners’ schedule get more difficult.

Kim and cmlmel77 like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So do you think they’re more likely to regress or get back to where they’ve been the majority of the season?

15. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I thought he left with tightness in his quad:(

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Wrong... hamstring tightness

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Drink more water Bregs!!

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Location, Location, Location

That's generally talking about Fast Food locations, but it applies here also.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The good news is the playoffs are still two months away and hot players will cool off and struggling players with find their second wind...or not.

It's not about August and September. It's about OCTOBER (after 10-3 to be precise.)

CinematicFusion likes this.
  20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Good lord. Dude is cursed.