1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rumors: rockets taking interest in trading for Daniel Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jul 31, 2021.

1. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Theis is a Bulls free agent. No?

2. TimDuncanDonaut

yea u right, he a bull now.

D-rock likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Top 10 lotto picks means they sucked, bottom 30% of the league. Doesnt matter whether you intentionally tanked or are just bad, point is they still used top 7 pick which you wont get if you made the play in. And thats only cuz David Kahn was the Minny GM back then, took pgs back 2 back and somehow missed Curry. If Kahn was a decent GM and took Curry where would GSW be now?

We're not talking about "Years and Years" literally its just 1st year of rebuild. Next year is the only year we have full control of our pick and its rumored to be deeper than this year. Meaning if you gonna tank you dont need to pray for 50% chance you guaranteed a top 10 in a stacked draft. Next next year OKC has our pick again so thats time you want to be competitive. If Green cant wait 1 yr and will immediately demand a trade then I'm sorry he shouldnt be no 2 pick in the draft.

Yeah those garbage teams have nothing to show for years of tanking but what did the Rockets have to show for the 5 years they always made the playoffs and always got swept in the first round? Are you enamored with Patrick Patterson, Aaron Brooks, Donatas Motejunas and Marcus Morris? Rox had nothing to show for years of being competitive as well, it was all just wasted time in the treadmill of mediocrity.

jcmoon likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why it has to be pick no 7 when you can draft MVP at pick 15 or even at 41.?

its smarter to learn how to draft and play the real basketball ie trying to win games

if you dont know how to find great players with teen picks then most probably the lottery picks wont do you any good because you are a clueless org anyway

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you look at the stats it shows most superstars are still picked in the lotto, not at 15 or 17.

Even if you the best drafter in the world if you are picking 17th then it might not matter if the dude you like is gone. Lots of people knew Ja Morant gonna be a great pg but unfortunately he gone by no 2.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Having a good GM is always preferable, but people said last season "We're not talking about years and years...let's just tank this year." and my guess is if we do suck next season someone will say "Let's just tank another year, next year (Insert player here) comes out and he'll be the next big thing." and people never consider that sometimes it's hard to get yourself out of that hole. You don't just flip a switch and say "Let's just start winning now!" you build chemistry and players learn to trust and grow with a coach

I'm not saying lets go sign Oladipo and Lowry and try to get this 8th seed. I'm simply saying the Rockets should build the best lineup they can but that is built around their young players and if a team led by Green-Sengun-Wood-KPJ makes the playoffs we should be very very happy about that. That means they are ahead of schedule.

Like I'd rather have already drafted our 3 all-star players then having to wait and draft another one.

I'm also not saying if we're 10-31 at the half that we should still be trying to win. I'm saying going into seasons with the goal of tanking is a bad strategy. I don't think you can just say "We'll just do it for x amount of years" because you breed bad habits among your players and create a miserable environment. Confidence means a lot in this sport too and I just don't think going into a year deciding to tank is a good way to develop players.

Now if you play all these guys and they just aren't ready and are losing naturally? Fine. But I don't like the idea of trying to make the team bad so we lose. Like I said, the whole purpose of tanking is to draft a guy that will drag bad/mediocre teams to the playoffs. Why not hope Green is that guy that can do that?

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again is your goal to make the playoffs or is it to win a ring?

1 legit star can bring your team to the playoffs but winning from there when you got the worst record the previous year is impossible. Not even MJ and Lebron could do it and they are top 2 goat in majority of lists.

Its only hard to get yourself out of hole when you get the wrong players. Look at OKC they got the right players and went from lotto to WCF. Phoenix got the no 1 pick in 2018 in 2021 they are in the Finals.

Are you happy with 1st round exit? If you are we dont need to wait, trade Green for Duarte and go from there.

I been a Rockets fan since Tmac got traded to Houston, all thise years YaoMac got to the playoffs and got beaten by Jazz, Spurs and Mavs would have been better served tanking so they could have better teammates than Rafer Alston, Slowmile Swift, Juwon Howard and 42 yr old Dikembe Mutombo wtf.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

OKC is a once in a lifetime thing. I bet it never happens again.

Yao and Tmac...Yao was the player we drafted and Tmac was our acquired player. Most of these teams find their star player then build around them. We can do that same thing. If Green is THAT dude and he drags this team to the playoffs (Again, unlikely) you don't think there won't be a list of star players wanting to play with him?

All I'm saying is I hope that Green is a once in a lifetime player that does special things, like drag a team to the playoffs his first year, like Magic Johnson did. I'm not hoping and wishing a guy a year later is that player, I'm hoping Green is. I'm hoping Sengun is also a future all-star. I'm hoping KPJ and Wood are too. I'm hoping we already have our championship core.

I don't think that's the case, I still have doubts about KPJ-Wood and Green/Sengun are unproven completely...but yes I hope they defy the odds and are a great young team that can raise expectations and not go into 2023 with "Maybe we can tank another year" mentality.

I also think that with how large the talent pool is now for the NBA, there is more parity than ever in the NBA draft. You don't need a top 5 pick to draft superstars.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

You dont need a top 5 pick to draft superstars, but its dumb to settle for 15th pick when you could have had top 5 pick.

I already said it no player made a team a champion his rookie year from being the worst the season prior. If you arent competing you should be among the worst. Being in the middle is the reason franchises like the Kings have been rebuilding forever.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just answer the question man, is the goal make the playoffs or win a ring?

If the goal is win a ring, how does making the playoffs in the 2nd year of the rebuild and when you have full control of your pick help you win a ring?

Lebron dragged the Cavs to playoffs immediately but he left them in the end cuz they never got the talent to surround him with. Making the playoffs is counterproductive to winning esp after just 1 yr of being the worst team in the L.

11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

what an enormous fail if the player you tanked for wouldnt even be the best player on the team with the worst record in the league

As far as this team is concerned, any player over 25 is irrelevant

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The kings suck every year though. They are not in the middle. They suck because mainly they draft terribly and tend to pick the bustiest of 'superstars'. If the Kings had drafted Luka like they should have they would have been in the playoffs and would have had an exciting young backcourt.

The goal of tanking is to draft a player good enough to drag you to the playoffs. When you draft Luka and Zion, you're done tanking because those players won't have it. When you draft Ja Morant, you're done tanking. These guys will have you at minimum drafting 10-14, at that point you go all in.

you want to draft superstars and these guys turn bad teams into mediocre ones almost instantly, they might not MAKE the playoffs, but they'll be right there on the edge of it. At that point, the team has to make good moves to turn it into a championship roster.

My point is...if you think Green is a superstar player then (unless we get lotto luck) we won't be drafting top 3 again. Maybe this year we'll fall into the 5-10 range and next year as he gets better the 11-14 range, then 3rd (or 4th) year battling for the playoffs.

Superstar players usually have immediate impact on their team, even as rookies...so if Green is that dude even if we're bad will it be top 3 bad? I don't think so. Especially with Wood and KPJ and Tate on the team. A lot of the Rockets issues last year outside of being bad was also just injuries and the whole season was a mess. There's going to be a lot more stability this season.

#132 JayGoogle, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's the case.

You can look at it as a bad thing or you can think it's a positive that the Rickets have a lot of young talent. Hell, Green may not end up the best player the Rockets took in this draft.....and that would be a good thing.

We know Green is currently significantly behind KPJ and Wood is a fringe All Star caliber player when healthy, so there's no reason to think Green would have any chance at all of being the best or even second best player on the team. Better expectations would be to look for him to be a solid NBA player as a start, people forget that's not a given. He's probably going to struggle his rookie season, and that's fine. He's a raw prospect that will likely take years to develop.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

You have to balance the roster. You can still develop your young nucleus with a few veteran guys, especially ones that play defense, because that is not a skill many of these guys are going to possess coming into the league. Theis is the perfect compliment to what the roster already has, and can teach these guys about that end of the court.

A vet like Theis also doesn't get in the way of the development of Porter, Green, and Sengun. Theis is likely to play with both Wood and Sengun. Theis has also averaged 19.3 minutes per game in his career, with the last 2 seasons at 24. You could ideally give Sengun the other 24 minutes at C in his rookie year.

HTXSportsAddict and hakeem94 like this.
  15. DonatelloLimestone

The draft isn't a science, never has been. The same great organizations who have drafted or hit on their late picks also have tons of ones that didn't work out. A draft is hope, its a shot...it doesn't guarantee anything

In the modern nba you need all the tools and them money invested is just growing, from the draft, free agency ,europe, trades, being crafty with the cap.
    opportunity,timing, etc. A lot of fators involved including having a developmental system
    Who knows is Leonard would've gotten his shot if spurs didn't have a dedicated shooting coach when he came out as a defensive specialsit atheltic guy.

Who knows if giannis would've developed the same tools if Jkidd didn't decide to make him a PG and develop his playmaking and handling adn creation.

Likewise with Curry. There was a story that IGguy just saidthat mark jackson told curry an the team that if anyone goes at you, we'll take a regular season L, but you just got back and well have your back. So Mark wasn't the guy who took em over to a title, but he served as a foundational development and the first step of curry being curry.

Likewise, not many coaches would give slow jokic a shot at PG

We need the right staff, development, coaches, and useage otherwise a lot of thee mvps could have different careers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I'm hoping this is more like a Brad Miller role, where he's the defacto backup/placeholder while other guys might be in the G-Leauge. He's actually a solid all-around player. I think the idea was to find a cheaper Kelly Olynyk that would be okay to bring off the bench. You need veterans to ground all these young guys or we could turn into the Wizards during their Gilbert Arenas days.

He honesty is solid enough to start on this team, but I'm hoping (really hoping) he doesn't eat into KJ's/Sengun's/Garuba's minutes, and is used more as a safety net/supporting role to the young guys. I do think he could play a pretty big (almost annoying) role this season though. We will see...

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Shut this thread down, Theis is likely a Spur.

TF will not try to outbid anyone.

sirjesse likes this.
  18. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

nor should he, especially not for this guy

Fulgore and sirjesse like this.
  19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd rather have Olynyk, but Theis is a better defender, could be cheaper, and came from overseas like our rookie big men. Could be a good mentor for our guys that are new to the US.

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think superstar players in the mold of Green usually have immediate impact. KD won 20 games as a rookie. Kobe came off the bench for 2 years. Toronto was terrible for the first 2 TMac years.

Green likely isn't a guy that is going to dominate the ball and run the offense like Luka or LeBron. It's probably going to take him longer before he is a team carrying guy.