1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Play the young kids!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Aug 1, 2021.

1. StevieCrossover

I agree, gotta have something to work for than something given to you.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes often pretty lazy and brainless....chucking up a 35 footer in transition or early in the shotclock? pass me with that kind of mentors

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Repost from another thread but thought it was better here. As other's mentioned it's very difficult to trade Wall with his contract and now a year older as it is.

But if he is willing to take on a reduced role so Green, KPJ and others get higher or similar minutes to develop, I like Wall as a mentor to the young guys.

KPJ's passing has noticeably improved during his time in Houston and Wall has helped contribute to his development imo. I think he will be good for Green to improve as a passer as well.

He also was there for Bradley Beal's development over his early years in Washington.

#23 OkayAyeReloaded, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL Johnny the ball hog is all about himself, even when hes praising others it just me me me, last time I checked KPJ game was nothing like John Wall, and hes more than a willing passer while Johnny doesnt even look to pass the ball and engage others...he should have become a tennis player or play some other individual sport

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

KPJ was no where near the passer in College or Cleveland like he was in Houston. He had people help develop him, including Wall imo.

KPJ's Passing at Cleveland vs Houston

Code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos AST% TOV%
    2019-20    19 CLE NBA  SF 13.9 16.7
    2020-21    20 HOU NBA  SG 31.2 18.2

Code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg   MP  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    2019-20    19 CLE NBA 23.2 .442 1.1 3.2 .335 .506 .505 1.5 2.0 .723 3.2 2.2 0.9 0.3 1.9 2.7 10.0
    2020-21    20 HOU NBA 32.1 .425 1.9 6.2 .311 .515 .493 2.7 3.6 .734 3.8 6.3 0.7 0.3 3.5 2.3 16.6

College at USC:
    Code:

Shoo Shoo Shoo  Per Per Per Per
    Season    Age College  G  FG%  3P%  FT%   MP PTS TRB AST
    2018-19    18     USC 21 .471 .412 .522 22.1 9.5 4.0 1.4
    Career                21 .471 .412 .522 22.1 9.5 4.0 1.4

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteke02.html

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

We should perhaps also sign Westbrook( if hes willing to take on a reduced role), look how magnificent job of mentoring hes done with Oladipo!
    Olabrickos tunnel vision and reluctance to passing was matched only by John Wall himself LOL

7. OkayAyeReloaded

That's a strawman argument, but we can agree to disagree.

The results show KPJ became a much better passer here and Wall by all accounts was active in mentoring him, something Green could benefit from as a passer.

But it's okay to have different views, everyone has a right to thier own opinon.

#27 OkayAyeReloaded, Aug 1, 2021
  8. Rockets4Life13

This is one of the many possible factors.

He also, for the first time possibly, made it a main task for him to become a better passer because the rockets want him to be a PG.

He played PG for the first time. Had a lot of games in the G-league to get better at passing and learn from his mistakes.

Maybe Wall was one of the reasons why his passing improved, who knows, but for all i know of Wall as a person, I’d rather have DJ Augustine or really anyone is else mentor KPJ.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  9. OkayAyeReloaded

I agree, a new role, his coach/system and veteran leadership all played a part.

I'm curious why people think Augustine has been a better mentor. He may be which is great, but can someone bring some proof of what he's done to mentor guys?

EDIT: Augustine has shown to mentor and provide good leadership to young players after digging into him more, good point.

Athough he was never the player Wall was when speaking from experience to mentor and I still think Wall has value there, but we'll see what happens.

#29 OkayAyeReloaded, Aug 1, 2021
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets were signing YouTube FAs last year and plugging them into the line up

There's gonna be losses and minutes

BossHogg713 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I like Gordon and Wood as vets on this team. They're players that had to work hard and adjust to different play styles in their careers. They also have the temperament and skills to move from main option guys to role players easily as necessary as our young guys develop.

As good as Wall has been in this league, I haven't seen him as a role player. And, his success has mainly derived from his athleticism and relative size for his position. I'd like to see us showcase him for a contender the first half of this year and move on from him. I think the ideal PG mentor would be a guy like Rondo. Someone that can teach defensive fundamentals, halfcourt playmaking, work ethic, and is fine with not getting big minutes.

Ultimately, I do agree. You need some vets on any young squad. At least a PG, wing, and a big with experience

12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

R. Kelly approves of this thread.

13. Rockets4Life13

I don’t think it’s all that important to be a great player to be a great mentor. I think this is more about learning to be a pro than learning to be a good player. We have coaches for that.

I just think someone as self centered as Wall isn’t a good mentor to anyone. I want team players and no one man shows.

just look at John‘s interviews (@hakeem94 pointed this out earlier) even while praising other players, he somehow always ends up praising himself more. Yea KPJ is great but he could be even better.. maybe as good as me! Look at me, I’m John Wall!

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

What is this? 1983? Get with the times. This isn't the old days where seniority ruled and the young bucks had to work their way into the starting lineup more times than not. Clyde Drexler is not rotting on the bench behind Jim Paxson. He starts immediately in todays NBA. I can't even think of a recent top pick that was brought up slowly off the bench outside of Giannis's rookie year where he still got consistent 25mpg. All these rookies start. Even someone like Jokic started half of the games his rookie season as a 41st pick. So most start the whole season or eventually start more than half the entire season. Green starts day 1. Alp has the language barrier so it's okay to let him come off the bench slowly. I already expected JC to go to the g-league for a while and i already expect Garuba to come off the bench for a few years. KPj is entering year 3. It's time to put him out there, but it's probably going to be ugly as he learns how to be a point. There's no bump in value in showcasing Wall. Teams know he is who he is. We won't get much either way. EGo can show his value in health by doing what he's always done-6th man role off the bench. Spending money on temporary starters who will be unhappy when we send them back to the bench in due time? Pointless.

15. OkayAyeReloaded

It's okay to have different feelings about players. I don't want Wall long term but he does help others and has provided mentorship.

He has a long history of helping others and the community, to each their own.

Wall has been named the NBA's Seasonlong NBA Cares Community Assist Award Winner
    https://www.nba.com/wizards/john-wall-community-assist-winner

John Wall on helping Washington residents with rent assistance: ‘I come from that type of environment’

https://theundefeated.com/features/...washington-dc-residents-with-rent-assistance/

16. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

You should do both. There is nothing wrong with using the G league to help with development. Rookies get more reps that way and learn their roles as well as the system and so do the coaches. I fully expect a player like Sengun who is new to our county and requiring an interpreter to spend at least some time in the G league. Garuba as well.

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Counting on John Wall to land us a top 3 pick in next years draft

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

"Play the kids"

Is going to be the 2021 sports radio version of

"Play Steve at the two"

Every call everyday, ha!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

John Wall - ME ME ME ME ME