1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Play the young kids!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Aug 1, 2021.

1. VoR

VoR Member

All of y’all would be garbage GMs. Throwing too much on these kids’ shoulders too early is the perfect way to ruin their development.

Wood Wall Gordon and Theis will be perfect to mold these guys into young stars. Y’all have been so far away from development for so long that you’re counting your chickens before they hatch and falling in love with potential instead of understanding that development takes work. Look how far KPJ and KMJ have come. Shitt takes time and mentors.

dkoune, Dobbizzle, CriscoKidd and 2 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you may be onto something, not sure about the wall tho...looks like a player i wouldn't want influencing my yungins...

a pointguard that doesnt pass? these are the worst

Rockets4Life13 and saleem like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Nice start to a thread, VoR. Let me do some VIR for your thread: You pretty much called everybody on here stupid and you were like look at me and my idea.... that's smart.

VoR Conclusion: I'm smart and everyone else on here is stupid and ugly. Let's get this discussion started about how smart I am and how stupid you are. Come talk on my thread, but just know that you're stupid.

SMFH

4. Denovo

Denovo Member

You know this isn’t the NFL right?

We don’t need to stash Jalen Green for a year like he’s Patrick Mahomes lol. He needs to be on the court to develop.

3 of our rookies were/are already professional basketball players…

Also John Wall isn’t a mentor. He’s Memphis Iverson and OKC Melo.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Play and develop your highest talent if they have super star potential then they are good enough to be on court. Make the others earn their roster spot and if they are good they will earn it. This is common practice.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

honestly I am not even against tanking if that means youll only play the youngins and will ship out wall, ego and any other shameless chucker i may have forgotten about...so if they're not that great yet and lose many games, so be it...
    however i suspect this team may fare very well with wall out

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

making them work to get court time creates a better work ethic and overall stronger player.... spoiling them makes them entitled.

tycoonchip, VoR and hakeem94 like this.
  8. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Right? I swear people don’t understand the basics of social interaction

Jontro, hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hmmm you made me think, thank you...
    but still, a quick thought, if you play johhny the ball hog in front of them arent you defeating the purpose?

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Don't play our youngin too much mins or they will get injuries which will prevent them from future greatness.

Any posters that want the rookies to play a lot of mins are stupid bc they might end up another Derrick rose situation.
    /s

Did I match ops level of stupidity?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The NBA knows what John Wall and Eric Gordon can do by now
    They don't have to log in 38 minutes a game.

Everyone outside of Houston recognized Wall as playing well this past season.
    The numbers reflect something similar and everyone knows he was not
    completely healthy and lacked lift most of the time.

Rockets can start Eric G and Wall; but Porter and Green can get the starter minutes.
    Show a little, make the other teams want to see more......tease teams a little; while
    preserving them at the same time. The contenders that will be trading for Wall or Gordon
    want them for the playoff push or run and would rather they be fresh and ready.
    Going off some 22 minutes per game will have them ready for that playoff push.
    Fit but not tired at the end of the season. Everyone also knows the reduced minutes
    is for getting the kids action.

Eric Gordon tends to get hurt in a PnR system......stayed somewhat healthy as
    our designated spot up shooter slash limited part time facilitator. Last season
    was back to his New Orleans days when he was considered injury prone. We
    shouldn't completely wrap him in bubble wrap.....but we shouldn't give him 28
    plus minutes either. 22 minutes a game is good enough time to showcase EGo.

Wall. Yikes. I suggested Wall was being a ball hog to use last season as a rehab
    session to improve strength, stamina and confidence. Set him and the team
    up for greater success in the 21/22 season. His Ast% was around 36% I believe;
    which is not where he normally was with the Wiz (in the 40% plus range) but is
    promising.

So we all get it, we all know Wall wants out and play for a contender and the Rockets need
    to build trade value to get near that salary mark projected production. Again, sometimes
    less is more. Rockets don't have to showcase Wall 38 minutes when teams can
    project his numbers to 36 minutes totals off 22 minutes of action. The league
    knows who John Wall is and saw him log in a good amount of minutes last season
    when he played. They just need to see better lift when he finishes drives.

Will Wall be angry not getting starter minutes? Probably

Will Wall pull a Brett Farve and say, "I'm not mentoring my replacement." "It's not
    written in my contract, and if it is I'm not honoring it" mentality? Probably

Will Wall demand a trade publicly? Probably

Tilman is going to have to pay Wall whether he plays or doesn't.

If Green and Porter are playing great, give them more minutes (up to 30 per game)
    depending on their development. If they are not clicking.....then keep them
    around that 26 minutes range. I prefer the starting tandem of Porter/Eric Gordon
    followed by John Wall/Jalen Green off the bench.

The better spot up shooting of Eric Gordon compliments and opens things up for Porter.
    The 40% CnS three point shooting of Green last season can and will compliment Wall
    in his driving through the paint.

The Porter / Wall together kinda clashes imo. Porter looked like he didn't want to step
    on Walls toes. Was uncomfortable. Shades of Harden-Lin.

Some overlap of Porter/Green gets mixed in there during live action.

We can only hope that Wal plays right. Passes the ball at his 43% (Ast%) clip in
    years past. Eric Gordon is playing the good soldier and saying this group looks
    like fun. We just need Wall to toe the company line as well.

#11 ApacheWarrior, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    VoR, Dubious and CriscoKidd like this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

^I’d rather Wall/Green start with Porter/EG coming off the bench.

Wall is not coming off the bench regardless. Not sure why posters keep saying that. He’s making $40+M. He’s going to start until he’s no longer on the team.

I also agree with resigning Kelly O. These rookies aren’t ready to take over a team yet. They still have to learn the game. Even Jalen said he has to learn the game. Gleague is different from the NBA. Turkish league is different from the NBA. Spain is different from the NBA. College is different from the NBA. It’s a lot faster with more athletic, smarter players.

Ease these guys in then as the year goes along, give them more minutes. You don’t want to force these guys to develop really fast. You could hurt their development. We know we aren’t winning right away. Not with 4 19 year olds.

Don’t we have two first round picks next year? Paolo Banchero or Daimion Collins would be great with this team.

Next season is the year you can get rid of Wall since he will be an expiring. Unless we can get someone like the Knicks to bite for nothing this off-season. House and EG can be traded at the deadline this season to contenders.

#12 red5rocket, Aug 1, 2021
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

VoR and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Rockets4Life13

I’m all for playing guys like Theiss that hustle and can be a role model for young players

I’m against playing someone like Wall to chuck 30 shots and make the young guys do stupid things because they need to take advantage of having the ball for once.

Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL EXACTLY...playing alongside selfish player makes you hate basketball and forces you into becoming a selfish player as well...

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Have you ever tried starting a camp fire and someone snuffs out the flame with
    a blanket before it truly gets started? Well John Wall is the blanket

That's why people have Wall coming off the bench, unless he can play nice and share.
    Sharing is Caring....or whatever

Tilman has two options

Pay Wall $44M and play him while stunting the growth of
    Porter/Green/Thomas/Christopher

or

Pay Wall $44M and don't play him and allow Porter/Green/Khyri Thomas/Christopher
    to starts growing into the NBA game.

Either way Wall is not in the future plans of the Rockets.

Part of the way you discourage Wall from opting into his
    Player Option of $47 million next season is by roughing up
    his feathers this season.

Maybe he wants to get out sooner and accepts a much smaller buyout.

#16 ApacheWarrior, Aug 1, 2021
    Jontro likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

That's what DJ Augustine is for but not Wall!
    And that's why many of us want the Rockets to attempt to sign Olynyk.
    Need good veteran leadership.
    Stone if you're listening....
    Show up at Ibaka's house at midnight with a i-pad! (talk it to existence)

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

F that, no one needs Wall as a mentor.

I do agree though that we should play the young kids and don't get stupidly attracted by non-young non-stars like Olynyk, Theis, etc. Production doesn't matter, just bring in some high character vets for the minimum if needed, those are always available.

Gordon is probably good for these guys although I hope they don't pick up his whining habit. Wall is a negative, we should bench him and trade him ASAP but that likely won't happen till he's an expiring contract (summer 2022). They will probably start him in order to keep showcasing him for a deal.

We should bring in Paul Millsap if cheap. Someone who has played the 3/4/5 and carved out a long career with hard work. Good fit I think. At most a quarter of what Olynyk would cost, and we only have to commit for a year.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they can have mentors. they can play with vets at other positions so there is enough structure on the court for them to learn their own position. but these guys need to play a lot of minutes early on. the more they play the quicker they can work through their mistakes. we'll be able to shorted up our rebuild timeline.

green needs to play 30mpg and take the most shots on the team. Garuba needs to draw the toughest defensive assignments. Al needs touches so he can develop chemistry finding green on the cut or in DHOs. they all need to play together to develop their on court chemistry.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You're looking at one year and applying it to a player's entire career. Never mind that he's always been a great passer with good assist numbers, is a multiple all star and 1st pick who I guarantee the youngsters look up to despite CF claiming he's trash. It's ridiculous. If any of our young guards get to John Wall level of ability then that's a massive win. You guys are nuts.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.